Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Magnetic Drain plug.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 06:03 PM
Question Magnetic Drain plug.

Searching for a source for a magnetic drain plug for my CX-5 (new) and have conflicting
results. Found one source that has one they say will fit. Other outlets say 14mm/1.5mm
will not fit. To long?
Opinions.
Tanx

Old 07-04-2020, 08:28 PM

What benefit do you think you're going to derive from a magnetic drain plug?

Old 07-04-2020, 10:04 PM
Default Dimple Motor oil Magnets

These are hands down the best available anywhere. I have sold and promoted them since this company began. After personally using and having oil samples done with and with out them through *Blackstone oil labs oil analysis. These drain plug will capture more material in the oil then any other drain plug magnet even better then factory pan ring magnets from the factory. While technically speaking they are not necessary and the filter should catch most foreign material but only if they first go through the oil filter and not after the filter and into the pan area to be picked up and run through the filter it is that peace of mind knowing you have a little extra back up to stop contamination from moving through the engines oil.

Please be patient if you order through website. The owner and designer of the company had to be hospitalized and will not be returning to operate his business but a freind of his has taken over the business.

Dimple Motor oil Magnets
https://drainplugmagnets.com/#

*Blackstone oil labs
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...w15bl%29%29%2F

Old 07-04-2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
What benefit do you think you're going to derive from a magnetic drain plug?
Might help, can't hurt.
This very possibly could be my last vehicle. I want it to last as long and as well as possible.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:17 PM

I would argue the fact the vast majority of wear metals in engine oil are non-ferrous, meaning they will not be attracted by a magnet, suggests a magnetic drain plug will not add even a single mile to the life of your engine. If you really want the engine to last a long time, use a high quality synthetic engine oil in combination with a modern synthetic media filter; and then have your used oil analyzed to determine the relative health of your engine and guidance on an optimal oil change interval.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 AM

I've used mag drain plugs in the past but I wouldn't use them again. In my opinion they're just not worth it.

I know that there have been reports of people over torqueing these plugs and breaking them off in the oil pan. Not good.

YMMV

Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 AM

First ...those members responding have any of you responding have even used a magnetic drain plug of any kind?. If so can you actually tell me what you saw after installing it and changing the oil miles later.

LOL.....I guess the next time I do an oil change I will show you all what does not get caught in the oil filter. My 2018 Mazda 3 get it oil change every 3ooo miles and every other change I have an oil sample done. I get a near perfect oil analysis every time. I have a few for my MAZDA You can't argue empirical DATA. Oh and I ordered one for my up coming TRANSMISSION service as well. LOL I just spoke with Eric the new owner of DIMPLE on Friday. We Racer's and Professional Performance Builders (like myself) have been using magnets in pans, transmission and even a few other places on an engine for decades and have IMHO help reduce problems. I have even used oil filter magnets before.

Oh I should also include while helping my friend doing a maintenance service before an up coming air show a couple years ago on his F4U he purchased and we installed a DIMPLE drain plug on his oil Pan

As for breaking them off...well you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheap junk drain plugs painted to look like anodized metal then sure they will break. DIMPLE magnets will NOT break even if you over torque it. You are more likely to strip the thread long before you break a DIMPLE drain plug!!!
Conrad16.5 Please show me where you obtained your information so I can "MYTH" it out! LOL

This is another ridicules thread having to debate about a drain plug. If you you go back to the beginning it was simply ask WHERE TO GET AN OIL DRAIN PLUG!!!!!!
At this point I have been the only member that at least answered the question! LOL

My thread look at posting #47
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...o-44018/page5/

Originally Posted by Callisto
A little maintenance today. I was slightly over my 3,000 mile mark to change my oil and didn't feel much like really doing anything else today. I always change my engine oil and filters between 3 and 5k miles depending on ho I have been driving. These day with the big "C" and not being able to get out of town and stay over night in a hotel 3k miless seems to be in order with all the stop and go around town driving.

It is only about 40 minute very casual task.
You may notice I use a magnet drain plug.
And I choose the viscosity oil used in this engine which comes from .....knowing engines... hahaha!
Besides I have had this engines oil analyzed 3 times now using different viscosity oil and have some empirical data to make a judgement on what works.
Some may notice a little something different when i drain the pan, when the oil is down to just dripping I will spray WD40 in the pan until it drain clear. This will remove almost all the old oil as well anything that may have settled in the pan and not drained out with the old oil.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:17 AM

I maintain magnetic drain plugs are utterly and completely worthless. Folks like to believe because a metallic fragment is in the oil pan, it will circulate through the engine, the odds of this happening are somewhere between zero and none. The heavier wear metals stay in the bottom of the sump, and those few able to be picked up are caught by the oil filter; simple fact of how the oiling systems of modern engines operate.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
I maintain magnetic drain plugs are utterly and completely worthless. Folks like to believe because a metallic fragment is in the oil pan, it will circulate through the engine, the odds of this happening are somewhere between zero and none. The heavier wear metals stay in the bottom of the sump, and those few able to be picked up are caught by the oil filter; simple fact of how the oiling systems of modern engines operate.
Well not exactly correct....about the oil system and filter.... The oil is picked up in the sump goes through the oil filter and into all other vital parts of the engine and back to the sump. So any heavy metal particulars after going threw oil filter will return to the sump and hopefully fall to the lowest part of the pan which is where the drain plug is.

Evidence to support my comments if you look at the picture you can see metal caught by my Dimple Magnetic Drain plug. Now unless you want to suggest that my engine has a problem.....I think you should at least consider that the magnet seems to be catching something!

We can talk about this all day long I am a user of drain plugs all the way back when JC Whitney first introduced them and I think you are a theorist and not a tester or user of magnetic drain plugs. You should know that all us "ENGINEERS" like you and I must use the basic scientific method. I have used this through out my life...

My supporting evidence:

Old 07-05-2020, 12:11 PM

Pull a pan or sump from any used engine you care to examine, there is a layer/coating of metallic particles covering the entire bottom, including under the pickup. Regarding any metals which pass through the oil filter, they are too small to harm the engine in any way as they are completely suspended in the oil.

From an engineering perspective, if engine longevity could be measurably enhanced with such a simply add-on, manufacturers would do it. The fact is, if properly maintained, an engine will typically outlast the rest of the car.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Drain plug.