Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked out

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 06:13 AM
Default Locked out

My new 2021 CX 5 has the mazda connect app. Love it overall. However the first week I had it ,it locked me out. Started vehicle with remote app to melt snow off. Went outside to clear snow. Opened the vehicle to set to defrost. Vehicle shuts off when door is opened regardless of time remaining on remote start timer which is 15 min. So I restart with the push button start. I left the key fob on the set. Apparently the computer got confused because the remote start cycle had not completed. Long story short. I go to open the door in a half hour and my vehicle is locked tight with the key on the set. This is supposed to be impossible.... Not So. Luckily I was at home and could get the other key fob from the house. Doors would not open from the fob. I had to use the key from inside the fob to open the door . After this all seemed to work as it should. Should I have been away from home getting in the vehicle would have been areal issue. Motor would run until out of fuel as well. So as a preventative I purchased a spare door key from the dealer to put up under the body in a magnetic key box should this situation reoccur. Key is not cheap. Sold in a set of 2 by your key number. Over $100. cdn But retrieving a key from hours away would be expensive too. Hopefully it was a one time glitch.

Last edited by Zoommer1; 03-08-2022 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:11 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here. I never need to take the key fob out of my pocket, unless I'm unlocking the car or opening the hatch from a short distance. I then put it back in my pocket. Why would you leave it on the seat?

Old 03-08-2022, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chris!
Maybe I'm missing something here. I never need to take the key fob out of my pocket, unless I'm unlocking the car or opening the hatch from a short distance. I then put it back in my pocket. Why would you leave it on the seat?
Happens it was an early morning storm. Getting ready to go plowing. Had on a rainsuit with no outer pockets. Needed the key attached to open the garage. Easy thing was to put it in the vehicle deliberately so as not to lose it. Not supposed to be able to lock keys in according to the dealer and Mazda. This is just to point out it can happen.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:01 AM

That happened to me just yesterday. I learned from past experience that you don't leave the remote on the
console and then close the door. The car locks you out. Had to crawl in through the hatch. Not a pleasant
thing when you have bad knees.
I generally leave remote in the door. That works until last night. I was home and the key inside the second remote,
when I finally dug it out, worked. Will have a lock smith make a couple of spare keys soon.
Not a lot of places for a magnetic key holder though. On top of hitch perhaps.

My 2¢

Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 AM

I thought simply having the key cut would be the answer. Couldn't find any place that had a blank that would work So I was at the mercy of the dealer to order it. Took about 6 weeks. $109. with tax. Looked at me all smiles. Gave you 20% off ! Realistic price for a plain no chip key cut.... what 5-$10 maybe.

Last edited by Zoommer1; 03-08-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zoommer1
My new 2021 CX 5 has the mazda connect app. Love it overall. However the first week I had it ,it locked me out. Started vehicle with remote app to melt snow off. Went outside to clear snow. Opened the vehicle to set to defrost. Vehicle shuts off when door is opened regardless of time remaining on remote start timer which is 15 min. So I restart with the push button start. I left the key fob on the set. Apparently the computer got confused because the remote start cycle had not completed. Long story short. I go to open the door in a half hour and my vehicle is locked tight with the key on the set. This is supposed to be impossible.... Not So. Luckily I was at home and could get the other key fob from the house. Doors would not open from the fob. I had to use the key from inside the fob to open the door . After this all seemed to work as it should. Should I have been away from home getting in the vehicle would have been areal issue. Motor would run until out of fuel as well. So as a preventative I purchased a spare door key from the dealer to put up under the body in a magnetic key box should this situation reoccur. Key is not cheap. Sold in a set of 2 by your key number. Over $100. cdn But retrieving a key from hours away would be expensive too. Hopefully it was a one time glitch.
Well - I had a similar experience , and luckiliy was at home as well , vehicle running, locked out , found my second key , began to open it to access the hidden key ....then I had a thought .....could the rear hatch possibly be open ? Yes .,,I manually pulled the release and the power liftgate did the rest .
Cant figure it out - but certainly would not want to rely on the trunk being open if it occured again ....

Last edited by diehard080; 03-08-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:24 PM

In some cases, and in my case yesterday, the hatch was locked as well.
Sad about the 'no blank' key, just one of several 'nit picks' I have with Mazda
design or engineering.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:29 PM

I was reading online complaints awhile back. Don't remember what site. But this locked out thing is nothing new or model specific. There were complaints back years and most models with fob opener. All types of circumstances. One woman was locked out and her small kids were inside. She lived close by and her husband came with spare keys. I don't know if other makes have this issue or its just Mazda.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:21 PM

I believe this is an issue with many cars. I have had BMW, Acura etc and this could be done on all of them. I can lock myself out of my '20 frontier as well if I want to.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I believe this is an issue with many cars. I have had BMW, Acura etc and this could be done on all of them. I can lock myself out of my '20 frontier as well if I want to.
Thats one thing my F 150 has. Key pad entry on the door. You can lock your doors with engine running with key in the ignition and open with the keypad. Nothing is foolproof but no problems yet.

Quick Reply: Locked out