Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Rear Bumper Damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 06:35 PM
Default Light Rear Bumper Damage

Hi Everyone,
My girlfriend was driving her CX-5 earlier today and accidentally tapped somebody's front license plate when reversing. The damage is shown in the images, but I will be able to fill in the paint and try to clean the imprint left on the paint. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to if I need to do anything else other than filling in the paint and cleaning the paint?

Old 08-17-2023, 07:44 PM

Bummer...
Metal no big deal just takes time and effort.
Plastic...not sure if you'll actually be able to fix that.
You can use epoxy filler on it, but it and the plastic doesn't sand well no matter how fine the grit, without damaging or causing more issues to the surrounding plastic.
It depends on well you can paint and what paint you use; perhaps you can find a used replacement piece for less money and effort?

Old 08-17-2023, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Bummer...
Metal no big deal just takes time and effort.
Plastic...not sure if you'll actually be able to fix that.
You can use epoxy filler on it, but it and the plastic doesn't sand well no matter how fine the grit, without damaging or causing more issues to the surrounding plastic.
It depends on well you can paint and what paint you use; perhaps you can find a used replacement piece for less money and effort?
At the bare minimum I'll get OEM touch up paint and fill in the chipped areas and buff out the paint. As far as the plastic I'll probably just leave it as is. I couldn't find the replacement plastic part for the rear bumper, since it appears to only be sold with new bumpers...

Old 08-17-2023, 08:37 PM

You cant use epoxy or any other type of fillers it will fall out or shrink and crack the paint. You can try a little artistry with a wood heat gun or even a solder gun and melt in some plastic to fill the hole. The plastic can be sanded I do it all the time repairing plastic car and Motorcycle parts. But I do have a plastic welder. . Then you can touch up the area. I would use a primer filler before your color match body paint to fill in all the slight imperfection of your repair work. It wont be perfect but if you take your time because it is while I think you can do a reasonable job to repair and hide the damage. And you will be the HERO for the day!

Old 08-17-2023, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
And you will be the HERO for the day!
That's the goal

Old 08-18-2023, 08:00 AM

You cant use epoxy or any other type of fillers it will fall out or shrink and crack the paint.
I guess I wasn't clear, saying the metal was easy I meant using the typical metal fillers available.
I was talking about using the epoxy on the plastic, which works great on all sorts of plastics, even on plastic fuel tanks.
Cracked snowblower fuel tank still doesn't leak ten years on.
Specifically, I use the JB Weld plastic epoxy products which have always worked well for me.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I guess I wasn't clear, saying the metal was easy I meant using the typical metal fillers available.
I was talking about using the epoxy on the plastic, which works great on all sorts of plastics, even on plastic fuel tanks.
Cracked snowblower fuel tank still doesn't leak ten years on.
Specifically, I use the JB Weld plastic epoxy products which have always worked well for me.
I use JB Weld on projects all the time. Posted several on this forum Even thermal plastic like the current valve covers used on many engine like Mazda.
Butttttttt...................
The bumper cover material used on newer Mazda's may and in most cases will expand and contract at different rates . The JB Weld epoxy in most cases does not work well on Mazda ,Honda's,Toyota's Nissin' etc.bumpers.
JB Weld is also aware of this and supposedly in the works at changing their formula?
It may work on the bumper repair un-noticed for a short time but it will eventually crack.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:53 AM

It may work on the bumper repair un-noticed for a short time but it will eventually crack.
Yah I'd rather not cause more damage as is lol.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:51 PM

Here is my lesson about it. And currently I had to buy a completely new OEM rear bumper and do it the correct way plastic welding up the reflectors and those stupid tow bar access round caps. I also bought a new rearspoiler for the same reason. @ years and they are cracking out wear I use JB Weld instead of taking the time to plastic weld.
But like Lobstah said we both have used them on motorcycle covers and other plastic parts without any problem and it last for years or decades.

Just an FYI about the pictures. I just polished the beast yesterday. No that is not dust but how Mica Black seems to always look in pictures.
If you look at the crack it looks like a scratch, but it is the filler that did not expand and contract the same rate as the OEM bumper and cracked.

Old 08-18-2023, 04:27 PM

Wow that looks awesome.

Quick Reply: Light Rear Bumper Damage