Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Lease Question/Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Default Lease Question/Thoughts

New to the forum, so first off Hello and Merry Christmas all!
Im most likely a few hours away from signing on an 18 CX5 GT w Prem package, and wanted thoughts if this seems to be a decent deal:
Lease 33mo, 18k/miles yr, 1500 down, $389/mo

From what else I have seen seems good, but stopping at one other place first to see if they will beat that

Thanks
RVelle

Old 12-19-2018, 02:12 PM

Deals vary by region, and even by city; unless someone very near you has negotiated a deal similar to yours, there really is no way to compare.

The above said, a very good rule of thumb is to N-E-V-E-R put money down on a lease.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Shipo thanks, only 2nd lease ever so does that rule also cover if that $$ is for paperwork/first month/taxes/etc? Maybe I just need to lower the initial cash a bit?

at the first dealership now

Old 12-19-2018, 02:47 PM

First and last months, if required, are typically not considered upfront money, or any form of a down payment. Taxes can either be rolled into the lease or paid up front, your call.

Last edited by shipo; 12-19-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:50 PM

Thanks...

Old 12-19-2018, 03:45 PM

I have never been a fan of leases. If you are likely to own longer than the lease term, likely to sell before the lease term, likely to drive more or significantly less than the lease term, you will be better off buying.

Leases are best for people who know exactly how many miles they will drive over the next 3 years and know that at exactly that point, they will be looking for a new vehicle.

I would have to do a lot of research into the market as well as reading the fine print in order to say if a given lease deal is good or bad.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Genrally leases really aren't that great of a deal. However if your the person that needs to have a new every three years then maybe. I think your better off buying new then trading. I on the other hand buy new and keep until they really start dinging me money wise. You could have a paid off car for the next 5 years after your loan is done and save so much more

To each there own

Old 12-21-2018, 03:21 PM

Ended up w a 2018 cx5 gt w premium, deep blue/parchment, just picked it up about an hour ago, last three cars were Nissan Murano's, really liked those but needed a change, initial impressions, comfortable, quiet enough, good tech,tfeels great on the road, the motor is lacking some but I just didnt want to spend the extra for a 2019 with turbo so that's on me, the gas mileage will be much better this way..and yes I tend to flip every 3 years, so have found for me leasing ends up being cheaper than buying and flipping.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:29 AM

I've done the math on my now 4 year old CX-5 GT AWD that I bought for a bit over 30k new at the time. Breaking it down with the depreciation of roughly 10k it has cost me a little over $200 a month to own. Yes the depreciation sucks but if we keep the car for 5 years or more the numbers should stay the same. The only time I leased cars was when I was absolutely sure I wanted to get something new in 3 years.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:49 AM

I've also done the math, lease vs own based on my mileage, if I would have purchased the same 3 years ago, monthly would have been around $550 vs 400 for the lease, with depreciation, and lease end cost to get out of, of $300, the lease comes out ahead by a measly $200, which isn't much but I dont need to pay the other $150/mo for the fun of it since I will be trading it in, and dont have to worry about haggling w the dealer on trade in price, that and there is an allowance on a lease at the end so those small scratches & dents dont drop the trade in value/quality.

Every one has their own reasons, and yes I will be leasing something again in 3 years.

Last edited by RVelle; 12-24-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Lease Question/Thoughts