Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Installing OEM mud flaps on 2019 GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Default Installing OEM mud flaps on 2019 GTR

My wife finally got her 2019 CX-5 and also picked up some OEM mud flaps for the fronts (we have a 1.3 mile gravel driveway). I worked my way through the first 4 steps and then was stumped by #5 "Remove the front over fender clips in the three locations from the bottom". The pictures show three inner clips attached to the back side of the front over fender trim piece. What it doesn't discuss is the blue non removable clip at the bottom that goes into the body at the very bottom. If anyone has installed the OEM mud flaps on 2019 GTR I would appreciate any tips on working my way through #5.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:17 PM

Ok, I figured it out. First, my wife started baking chocolate chip cookies - that's always a good incentive. Then ignore #5. You don't have to remove the front over fender trim. You can install the clip nut by starting it on the bottom piece of metal and then nudging it up with a thin screw driver under the thin plastic piece. Got that done. Then on the driver side,I found that the larger of the two supplied pop pin plastic fasteners doesn't work as it has to go through three layers of plastic and one of metal. The solution that I tried on the passenger side was to remove the glued on rubber grommet on the back side of the mud flap. That reduced the need grip thickness by 1/8 inch and then it worked perfectly. Now I will go looking for a longer (7/8") pop pin for the other side. A note to those that buy these OEM mud flaps. The parts guys will tell you that no special tools are needed. However, they do require a jack nut tool. Fortunately, my rivet nut tool worked just fine and I even had the correct mandrel...