Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pat the Rat
Yes. After multiple visits to the dealer they finally said there was a TSB on the problem. The fix was a new nav SD card. It never did it again after that was installed. They said they couldn’t just try a new SD card before the TSB came out, because once installed that card will only work in that vehicle. So that would be a $400 waste if it didn’t work. If i can find the TSB number i’ll post it but the dealer should have that info. Good luck.
The bolded above is not true. The car has to be driven 63 miles in order for the card to be mated to the vehicle.

(1) Guide: - Infotainment issues? Slow booting? Rebooting? Sluggish performance? | Mazdas247

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 12-27-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:27 AM

Yeah but the problem is that I live 35 miles from the dealer. By the time i drove it home and back and waited for another day for it to drop to 24° to test it, it would be well over that 63 miles.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:39 AM

Another thing you could try possibly would be to put a piece of masking tape on the side opposite the connectors thereby making the card slightly thicker for a tighter connection. Just a thought. I haven’t tried it myself (traded my car on a new Chevy Colorado) but it might be worth a try rather than spending service $$$.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:55 AM

I doubt they will, but you never know. Before I'd plunk down $400 on their substandard nav system again, I'd instead just remove the SD card and upgrade to Apple/Android Carplay. I think that's the same price and you can use either Google Maps or Apple Maps to get where you're going. They're much better. The Mazda nav system is terrible IMHO. I was sorry I got it.
My backup plan is to get a new nav card with 3 yr updates included from amazon if the dealership asks for $500. There are sellers selling them for about $50. The reviews seem good so I think they would work. However, I feel really angry that they demand money from us when they know they provided us with faulty nav cards in the first place. Is there any way we can complain or take them to something like small claims court? Outrageous.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hiphop29
My backup plan is to get a new nav card with 3 yr updates included from amazon if the dealership asks for $500. There are sellers selling them for about $50. The reviews seem good so I think they would work. However, I feel really angry that they demand money from us when they know they provided us with faulty nav cards in the first place. Is there any way we can complain or take them to something like small claims court? Outrageous.
Certainly you could try suing but as you said, a new nav card off amazon or ebay is $50 so is it really worth it to go through the hassle and possibly lose. I would certainly try the dealer and ask about the TSB. They may goodwill it for you.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Certainly you could try suing but as you said, a new nav card off amazon or ebay is $50 so is it really worth it to go through the hassle and possibly lose. I would certainly try the dealer and ask about the TSB. They may goodwill it for you.
I agree. I was simply wondering why no one has done that so far considering the amount of lawsuits people file in US.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:57 AM

One thing you guys might try that worked in my 2014 (granted, a different beast than the new ones) is to make a backup of the SD card and to keep the backup periodically renewed if things change on the card. I did this and my card went bad, so I just restored the backup to an unused 16 gig SD card and it has been working fine. I still keep the backups renewed periodically though, just in case.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:36 PM

I tried copying my SD card but there was some code in it that prevented it from being copied.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:13 PM

I tried copying my SD card but there was some code in it that prevented it from being copied.
On mine, I was able to use both the backup feature in the TomTom program and Novaback to back it up. I didn't just copy it.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
A straight denial for free replacement from dealership.

Quick Reply: Infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold