Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Hood gas struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Default Hood gas struts

In addition to the oil catch can install I posted below yesterday I ordered "Bishop Tate" hood gas struts from Amazon for my 2019 CX 5 because I'm tired of using that prop rod. Plus given that I have the GT Reserve model the gas struts are "more befitting the upscale build level of the GT Reserve." (So there!)
But seriously, don't you wish the factory would have seen fit to give us gas struts instead of a hood prop?
I once did the dame thing for a Nissan MAXIMA that I heavily tuned.

So the gradual "modding" of my GT Reserve continues. The next big thing will be wider 245/50/19 tires when the OEMs wear out.

Eric B.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:50 PM

I thought only classy cars had the gas struts. Lacking them almost made me veto the purchase of my 2016 CX-5 GT.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:34 PM

joecader,
Not sure if your comment is tone-in-cheek or serious. I'll take it in the April 1st vein even though it was sent later.

Eric B.

Last edited by Litehiker; 04-05-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 PM

Do you know what is the difference is in the 2016 and the 2017 and up?

TIA

Old 04-05-2020, 12:32 PM

The auto manufactures bean counters will set a production cost to be met with each model. If that is not achieved then some parts deemed less vital like hood struts will be replaced or not included in the production of a specif model.

If you think about the numbers of any given model vehicles manufactured , only car enthusiasts which is less then 1% of 1% the total market would complain about a rod instead a strut to support the hood. LOL

Me personally it depends on the car...at times those struts get in my way and would rather and sometimes will convert to a rod support.

Litehiker I would like to see posted pictures of your projects. I noticed that you don't seem to to that?

Old 04-05-2020, 06:21 PM
Default Photos of my GT Reserve mods

CALLISTO,
Haven't installed anything to date except a K&N air filter and "2.5 T" emblem on the right rear of the tailgate.
Just got the oil catch can today. I'll take it to my dealer next week fir install. Hopefully the struts will arrive before the. Their install looks fairly straightforward.

So... I'll take photos of everything when the OCC is installed but before I put the under tray back on. (I'm removing the undertray & re-installing myself to save a bit of labor costs.)

You have to understand that "I can't leave a vehicle alone" when I buy it. My previous car was a Toyota Prius v wagon that has 3 underbody stiffeners, heavier front sway bar, added rear sway bar, lowered springs, a strut tower bar, cold air intake, ENKEI forged wheels & wider tires and many lighting upgrades. It never went much faster but it DID handle far better and more safely.
I did all these upgrades after nearly losing control on the freeway when an Eclipse did a 360 in front of me for no damn reason at all. The stock Prius v was a total dishrag in the handling department. Of course I use to own a lightly tuned RX-7 (FD) and a highly tuned Maxima, both of which I auto-crossed. So my handling standards are a bit higher than average.

Eric B.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:29 PM

Eric,
Our 2018 Mazda 3 was suppose to be a commuter, daily driver....but like you I can't help but to "mod out "on every vehicle we own in our household.

Hers ya go my freind ....our Mazda 3 the Daily driver.....

Mazda3 Things I like to do
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...like-do-44018/

BTW should you ever visit Sacramento from Vegas, drop me a PM I live at the bottom of the Serra Mountains just outside Sacto.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:37 PM

Ooooo, that's nice. Wheels, louvered hood, spoiler, etc., etc. Plus the drop-dead looks of the new MAZDA 3.
Where did you find that hood?

I agree, Mazda has used restraint with chrome, putting it only where it actually enhances the looks of the vehicle. I'm leaving mine OEM.
And I really like my 19" factory wheels. They stay as well.
I had to add factory roof rack crossbars B/C I will carry a canoe and more often my 18' sea kayak. Plus I just got a Yakima cargo box for big car camping weekends.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Litehiker
Ooooo, that's nice. Wheels, louvered hood, spoiler, etc., etc. Plus the drop-dead looks of the new MAZDA 3.
Where did you find that hood?

Thank you
The hood is custom one off ... at least for now. I needed a specific hood and scoop that look sorta factory and fit my needs for my True Cold Air Intake System(CAI) I designed for my Mazda 3.
Currently it is off the car while I am doing work to the underside for the adaption of my system.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by joecader
Do you know what is the difference is in the 2016 and the 2017 and up?

TIA
2017 is an all new model. It is heavily based on the 16 architecture, but has all new sheet metal, interior etc.