Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Hood gas struts for 2021 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 04:56 PM
Default Hood gas struts for 2021 CX-5

So I tried to order a pair of hood stuts for my 2021 CX-5 from Amazon, but now it's been six weeks and they seem to be lost in the mail somewhere between China and Russia and the USA and Amazon keeps saying they'll be here any day now. Yeah, right, they were shipped March 30. Tracking shows them coming by "China Post" and stalled in Russia, and I don't want to try to sort that out!

So, does anyone have a good steer on where to find a pair of hydraulic gas struts for my 2021 CX-5 GT? A link please, if you do.

Many thanks,

MiltB

Old 05-10-2021, 06:45 PM

I ordered a set off Amazon back in March. By the start of April I got tired of waiting and ordered some from

https://www.redlinetuning.com/Search...azda+CX-5+2021

They're more expensive but seem to be well made. They went on with no problems and are working great.

The kit from China was supposed to arrive by April 28 but never did come. I got a refund. If they ever do show up I'll probably just stick them on ebay or offer them up here.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:20 PM
Default Questi

Many thanks, Greg. Looks like a quality product.

Question: am I correct in assuming that I have to order two--looks like they are sold as a single piece, meaning the price for a pair is twice what's shown--right? (Just don't want to order too few or too many!)

Thanks again,

MiltB

Old 05-10-2021, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
Many thanks, Greg. Looks like a quality product.

Question: am I correct in assuming that I have to order two--looks like they are sold as a single piece, meaning the price for a pair is twice what's shown--right? (Just don't want to order too few or too many!)

Thanks again,

MiltB
The price is for the complete kit. It includes a pair of lifts as well as two each of the upper and lower mounts.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:35 PM

Good news . . . thanks for keeping me from making a mistake and ordering two sets!

MiltB

Old 05-10-2021, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
Good news . . . thanks for keeping me from making a mistake and ordering two sets!

MiltB
Haha no problem! I actually ended up buying one for my 2021 and one for my mom's 2017 a couple weeks later. It sure beats having to use that rod to hold it up.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:49 PM

For the install you'll need a regular 12mm socket and a 13mm deep one for the ball ends on the bottom if I remember right. When the kit came I realized I didn't have any metric sockets especially a tall 13mm one so i had to wait a day or two to get them off Amazon. If you need anything get them while you're waiting for the kit to arrive so you aren't stuck not being able to put hook it all up!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the link that kit looks well made! You're likely lucky the kit from China never showed. Some times you get what you pay for.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:28 PM

REDLINE hood struts kits are some of the best kits on the market. The struts are engineered to their specification an are very different most all other struts on the market. The internal valving will not stress the hood in the compressed position and release se partial during closing so their is almost no resistance during closing. This does mean you still somewhat have to hold on the hood while closing it so not to slam it down. But I can tell you my wife is 5ft and 96 lbs and I had her open and clos my MAZDA hood several times and she had no problem

I ordered the black set but after installing it add 3m Carbon fiber vinyl for looks. My installation was a little more involved as one side for my Mazda 3 had to be drilled for one of the lower hardware mounts. All in all in still only tool about an hour which included added in the 3m wrap.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
REDLINE hood struts kits are some of the best kits on the market. The struts are engineered to their specification an are very different most all other struts on the market. The internal valving will not stress the hood in the compressed position and release se partial during closing so their is almost no resistance during closing. This does mean you still somewhat have to hold on the hood while closing it so not to slam it down. But I can tell you my wife is 5ft and 96 lbs and I had her open and clos my MAZDA hood several times and she had no problem

I ordered the black set but after installing it add 3m Carbon fiber vinyl for looks. My installation was a little more involved as one side for my Mazda 3 had to be drilled for one of the lower hardware mounts. All in all in still only tool about an hour which included added in the 3m wrap.
That makes me feel good I guess I ordered a quality setup. I got the plain one with the writing on it for mine but if I remember right when I ordered another for my mom's they had the one with the carbon fiber sleeves for only $10 more so I sprung for those.

Quick Reply: Hood gas struts for 2021 CX-5