Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Vibration & Shake

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Default 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD Vibration

Just found this thread today. Since I have my CX-5 (about 2 months) I've been plagued by a vibration problem from day one. It's been back to the dealer 3 times: 1) First time they tried to tell me that the vehicle needs to break in, but then they relented and re-balanced all four tires; made no difference. 2) Next time back, they road-force balanced all and replaced with two new wheels/tires. Thinking that the problem is from tires, I replaced all four of my 17" Yokohamas with four new top-rated Bridgestone Ecopias--and purchased a winter tire/wheel set from Tire Rack (road-force balancing included). So I have eight new tires to try. Regrettably the issue is NOT tires--I learned this the expensive way!

The new Bridgestone Ecopias were road-force balanced (by a very good shop) on the Mazda wheels while I ran on the winter tire/wheel set, but still vibration remained. 3) Next time back, I stated that this appears to be a drive-train problem and suggested that they look further. They advised me that they would call Mazda for technical support. They then removed my driveshaft, and we went for a short test drive. The vibration is somewhat intermittent in nature and seems to show up after driving on the highway for some time, showing up between 60-80 MPH, as many have noted here. The short test ride without the driveshaft appeared to be vibration free. We then believed that the problem was from an improperly balanced driveshaft, which made sense. The dealer quickly obtained a new driveshaft and installed it. It seemed better and this is the best it has been so far BUT STILL THE VIBRATION remains on either of my two sets of tires! Is it severe? No, but none of my other vehicles do this, even my Toyota RAV4 with 150k miles is totally smooth. And the vibration becomes annoying when driving more than an hour on a highway.

My '08 Mazda3 was not back to the dealer as many times as my new CX-5. I was thinking that the problem is related to the AWD system, but some here said their FWD CX-5 experienced this. If it were not for this problem, I'd like my CX-5 very much. Now, I'm very frustrated, especially as I got the CX-5 for long range travel. I'm to the point of considering trading it for something else: Subaru?

I'm wondering what to do next. I welcome your thoughts.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM

Does your stste have a lemon law? If so turn it bsck to the dealer and get a new one. That's what I'd do in your shoes.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 PM

After some thinking, here are some diagnostic questions:

1) Have you tried revving up the engine while parked and the transmission in neutral or park, to see if the vibration is there? If so and it is, then the problem is in the engine somewhere.

2) Have you put the CX-5 in neutral after coming up to highway speed and coasting to see if the vibration is still there? If it is then that would indicate the problem is somewhere from the transmission through the drivetrain to the wheels.

Have they checked that you don't have a bad universal joint somewhere?

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM

JonW: Thanks for the good diagnostic questions. The vibration does not appear to be from the engine: revs are smooth. I agree--it could be a CV joint--or possibly the rear differential. The vibration seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle (feel it more in the seat). Your suggestion makes sense: it has the feel of a bad bearing or CV joint. There's currently less than 2500 miles on my CX-5. As you'd expect, it's no fun at all going back to the dealer with an intermittent problem like this. It seems to get worse after driving it for awhile on the highway. Coasting seems to lessen it; putting torque on the drive-train seems to worsen it.

I like everything else about my CX-5, but the ownership experience has been very disappointing thus far because of this--I prefer to drive one of my other vehicles! I'll need to set up another visit with my dealer, talking with both service and sales managers. Possibly one last try with service, then start to explore other options. Hopefully sales will work with me on something before I need to pursue lemon law.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Woofer: Nowhere in your posts do you mention getting Mazda US involved. It appears that you have not elevated this beyond your local dealer. You need to get factory support on this, not the Sales Manager!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 AM

paris1: Thanks; how do I get Mazda USA involved?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM

I got rid of my cx5 over a year ago because of this vibration. It would be very very hard to believe Mazda US is not aware of this problem. Not sure why they are ignoring it.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by kcss88
I got rid of my cx5 over a year ago because of this vibration. It would be very very hard to believe Mazda US is not aware of this problem. Not sure why they are ignoring it.
My Touring CX-5 is smooth as silk on the highway. The few people who are experiencing this problem would indicate it's not endemic nor a manufacturing defect, so I don't know why you think Mazda should be aware of it or that they are ignoring it.

Let's be reasonable. It hasn't been figured out yet and may end up being something very simple. Just keep at it, at different dealierships and then with the regional Mazda organization.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Woofer
paris1: Thanks; how do I get Mazda USA involved?
Well the first thing to do is request that the dealer get the regional Mazda service rep involved asap. If this doesn't work out, I believe the starting point for doing an end run around the dealer is described here from the Mazda US web site under "Contact us":
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER

Most answers can be found in our FAQ section, however should you require additional assistance, you can contact your local Mazda dealer or call our Customer Experience Center at (800) 222-5500. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

I've never had to do anything like this myself, but lots of people have. Just start shaking the tree until someone helpful falls out!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JonW
My Touring CX-5 is smooth as silk on the highway. The few people who are experiencing this problem would indicate it's not endemic nor a manufacturing defect, so I don't know why you think Mazda should be aware of it or that they are ignoring it.

Let's be reasonable. It hasn't been figured out yet and may end up being something very simple. Just keep at it, at different dealierships and then with the regional Mazda organization.

How many people drive vehicles with wheels out of balance? I would venture to say 40-50% of the population. I don't even think they know their car can run smoother. I would think the majority of people buying the cx-5 are not people that are "into" cars and would not even know there was an issue. I envy these people in a way....they would be very happy with their cx-5. My wife would be one of these people. She thought the vehicle ran fine. When I had my cx-5 we took out all 4 vehicles the dealer had to see if they all had the problem....3 of 4 had the shake to some degree. The fact that most people don't notice it or can live with it doesn't make it right for a vehicle in this price range. I believe that mazda is well aware of it and that the solution is not cost effective or sales are not suffering enouph for them to care. I do not feel this issue is as isolated as you think. Many vehicles have known issues which the manufacturer does not address if it is not safety related. I chose to get rid of my cx-5 because it became evident to me Mazda was not going to correct the issue any time soon and I personally could not live with the vibration. I believe most people can live with the vibration and probably do not realize it is not normal.

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration & Shake