Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Vibration & Shake

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Default Please Help!

Hi. I also have a Mazda CX-5 with the same problem. I am from South Africa and my CX-5 has the same vibration\shudder issue at highway speeds. I have been reading all the threads posted in this forum. Neither my dealership nor Mazda South Africa seems to have no idea that problem even exists. I am very frustrated at this stage and it seems that "roadawg" has found some sort of solution. Please advise if wheel aligment correction might solve the problem?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by RichardSmithSA
Hi. I also have a Mazda CX-5 with the same problem. I am from South Africa and my CX-5 has the same vibration\shudder issue at highway speeds. I have been reading all the threads posted in this forum. Neither my dealership nor Mazda South Africa seems to have no idea that problem even exists. I am very frustrated at this stage and it seems that "roadawg" has found some sort of solution. Please advise if wheel aligment correction might solve the problem?

I am speaking the 100% truth. The only thing that changed was an alignment with my car. It has now been two months and the car is smooth as silk, no shimmy/vibration/shake in the steering wheel. The hood and mirrors still shake a tiny bit at highways speeds but it's very minor and only visible not felt.

So yes, that means in the 6 times my car was at Mazda for service trying to correct this problem, they never gave it an alignment.

I know that an alignment wouldn't usually cause shaking like that, but hey I am just speaking from experience. My guess is that the factory alignment on the GT models is WAY off from the factory.

I am only posting here to help people because I know what it is like to spend a good deal of money on a car and feel helpless that no one can fix it, and everyone thinks you are crazy.

Bring your car to a good mechanic with a new facility with modern equipment, and get the car aligned.

Good luck, I think car forums are great for this purpose but only if people actually report back with their experiences, and that's the point.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Default Highway Vibration and Shake

Thank you roadawg. Just to confirm, are you referring to Wheel Aligment? Like the aligment done at a tyre dealership? Thanks

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM

He is speaking of wheel alignment, as done by dealers and preferrably by a good and experienced tire/wheel shop.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kcss88
I have the exact same vibration as Roadawg...between 60-80 mph. I waited till I put my new snows and rims on ...and same vibration as Toyos. I will bet all cx 5's have this vibration to some degree...only not all drivers will realize it. I am in Ontario, Canada...car bought end of Aug and manufactured June...so not just NJ cars. .
Originally Posted by roadawg
I can't speak of specific details regarding certain outcomes, but the only thing different that we did recently to the car was an alignment and as of now the car does not shake at all. And as a matter of fact the car is much sharper and steers better than it used to.
Originally Posted by CX-SV
roadawg - Thanks for the report. Generally alignment isn't considered when dealing with vibration issues.
Originally Posted by roadawg
Agreed, for the life of me I cannot figure out how an alignment resolved this issue but from personal experience this was the only change to the vehicle recently, and since the alignment, now two weeks later it rides like it was supposed to from the beginning. YMMV.
An Alignment it is!
Great Feedback Roadawg.
Wanted to multiquote this so everyone can see this co-relation.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Default Same problem?

Hello all, I own a CX 5 Touring, build date April 2012, 6700 miles.

I brought my car in for an oil change and also had the dealer check
the vibrating mirror/ hood and a rattle i have in the cabin. They said
that the car needed a wheel alignment. This weekend i drove the car from Miami to Ft Myers and back (i-75 smooth road surface) and noticed right away that that the mirror and hood still shakes and the rattle of course is still there as well. What is worse is that i started noticing a vibration in the gas pedal and a vibration/shudder when driving 75 -80 miles an hour.

I am going to bring the car back to the dealer, but i am afraid that they cannot replicate the problem because it is intermittent.

Should i contact Mazda Corporate and start a case?

I usually keep my cars for a long time and I don't think this is normal.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 PM

I am cautiously optimistic that we have found the problem with our particular vehicle , a 2014 CX-5 Front wheel drive Grand Touring . We were experiencing the vibration starting at about 50 mph and up .Interestingly, the demonstrator we drove before buying our car had a similar vibration.
They road balanced our tires to no avail . We printed off this thread and took it to our dealer to show we were not imagining it . We took them a list of suggestions such as alignment . They said they could not just do things ***** nilly unless told to by Mazda in California . After a day or so delay they said Mazda was shipping them 4 new tires and it would usually take a week . That was on Friday and the tires arrived on Monday- 3 days later . I thought it interesting that Mazda did not want them to just go out and buy 4 new tires locally or use ones in inventory . The tech today said he thought it odd that the tire were shrink-wrapped as usually the tires are shipped loose . After driving it through town and about 30 miles on the interstate , I think the vibration is gone . The true test will be my wife driving it tomorrow as it is her car .
I suspect Mazda knows by now that Toyo supplied them with some bad tires by virtue of the fact that 1. They shipped them so fast . 2. They did not want the dealer to acquire tires locally, which might also be bad and 3. They were wrapped in an unusual fashion . This is probably one of those "silent recalls " . They don't call up everyone and change out their tires but if you come in with a vibration they know what's probably causing it .

Hope this helps someone else .

Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Whew ! Close call ! Wife says it now drives great . Did everyone else figure this out before we did ? No posts since April and none since I posted what, for us , was the cure .

Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 AM

We had the same tire/wheel vibration issue with our CX-5 when we first took delivery. Took it back to the dealer, had the tires rebalanced, but the vibration remained.

The service manager told my wife "it's because of the tires being flattened for an extended time when they ship the vehicle overseas. You'll have to drive it for at least 500 miles to 'round out' the flat spots."

Hmmm...I have 45 series tires on a convertible that sits in the garage every winter that have flat spots when I first drive it - they disappear within 2 miles.

Took the CX-5 to my local performance tire shop, where they road force balanced the tires on a Hunter GSP9700. Turns out the tires were either improperly mounted on the wheel, or spun since being mounted (Toyo has a service bulletin out on this as well). Once the tire was aligned with the wheel, and rebalanced - no vibration up to 80+ mph.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:02 PM

newengpasfan - Good report, thanks. Glad you were able to resolve problem.

Yes, I won't let my dealer touch alignment and/or balancing of tires on my CX-5, better done by my favorite custom tire/wheel shop if ever needed.

At 21K miles, my Toyo 19's have been smooth and quiet, no problems.

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration & Shake