Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Vibration & Shake

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Woofer
kcss88: Thanks for the reply and comforting words. Possibly misery loves company? I agree that many people probably likely don't know how a car should feel. This point was recently reinforced to me when my son told me that many who ride in has car comment on how smooth it feels; he usually asks, "why shouldn't it?"

Anyway, the FWD version does feel much smoother than the AWD--even as a passenger my wife noticed this. If, according to the Mazda rep, this is how all AWD CX-5's are, I'd suspect a resonance resulting from interaction between the drive line and suspension components. I can envision how the additional torque applied to the rear wheels in the AWD version could cause this to happen under certain circumstances. So this is then an engineering issue--and still a defect.

None-the-less, this was a trying and expensive learning experience for me. For not stepping up to help, Mazda lost points with me on this one. So, my next vehicle, likely a replacement for my Mazda3, will not automatically be another Mazda.
I've been following this periodically out of curiosity to see if this has been resolved, and it still sounds like Mazda either cannot identify the problem, can't make a business case to remedy it, or just sweeping it under the rug.

My case was very unique, when only after the car got into a minor accident in a parking lot, and came back from the body shop did it stop shaking. To this day, and I still have the work order, the only mechanical change the body shop made was a wheel alignment. It's still a funny story that comes up now and then among friends and family. I know wheel alignments aren't going to typically resolve shaking, I get it, I've been racing and tinkering with cars for 20 years, but all I can go on is experience and this is what happened.

We've replaced the Mazda with another car, and if nothing else it is a shame because I love the way Mazda's handle, and steer. They really make great cars, but after wasting my time and jerking me around for 4 months sadly I won't buy a Mazda again.

If the techs were just honest and said yes there is no way the steering wheel should be shaking 1/2 inch left and right violently at 60 MPH, I may have bought one again despite all of this. But I can't stand when someone looks you in the eyes, and says what you have been experiencing for 4 months is an illusion and it's normal.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 PM

This post concerned me so I took my new CX-5 FWD out on the freeway and took it up to 90 before traffic was encountered, anyway it was rock solid no issues with any vibration. Some people have also reported vibrating hood at speed, I did not experience any hood movement at all. I will say however that on certain rain grooved concrete freeway lanes the Yokohama tires will follow the groves but that is a tire issue.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM

My unresolved vibration issue was with my '14 AWD Touring model. Both FWD versions I drove did not exhibit this problem. Just to mention, one time I had someone else drive while I rode in the backseat of my AWD model. The vibration was very noticeable sitting in the back, one time even at low speed. After four sets of tires, all properly balanced, and a drive-shaft replacement, the vibration was definitely not from out-of-balance tires. I did not observe any strange wear pattern developing or feel a "pull" when driving so I didn't suspect an alignment issue.

'roadawg' mentioned that his vibration issue was cured with an alignment. I could see how an alignment could help or cure under certain circumstances as an out-of-alignment vehicle experiences unequal forces on the tires, suspension, damping and possibly drive components. Depending on how all the factors interact, vibration may result. I understand roadawg's frustration!

My concern was over the Mazda factory rep telling me that his AWD CX-5 company car felt the same as mine. He felt the vibration in mine as did the dealer's service director. They agreed that they could not continue replacing parts to try to resolve. My response was that the problem is then an engineering problem.

Looking at the current competition to the CX-5, except for the AWD vibration issue I experienced, the CX-5 still appears to be the best vehicle in its class. Thus far the FWD replacement seems to be fine. Yet I remain disappointed after having to layout $thousands to go from a '14 AWD Touring to a '14 FWD Touring--no assistance from Mazda. I plan to take this up further.

Oh, replacing the OEM Yokohama tires with Bridgestone Dueler Ecopias does improve the vehicle tracking, handling, ride and quietness.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the transfer unit is pretty crude if that's the case? Like the old school units they used in some of the first AWD cars. Honda comes to mind. It not a transfer case as in many other 4WD vehicles but a viscous clutch coupling that may be grabbing and slipping at the wrong times.
Though they had an actual transfer case, the old Jeep Quadra-Trac units (full time 4WD) would act weird in turns, and cup the tires. It was something they just always did. Nothing to do to "repair" the situation. I spent 5 yrs at a Jeep dealership back in the day which is why I'm using this example.
Just a thought....

Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 PM

We are having the same problems with the vibration coming up through the body of the car, been back to the dealership twice and now have been told that it is a characteristic of the vehicle. We did not feel the vibration when we test drove the vehicle. We have had the tyres rotated and balanced. Then a friend of mine told me that he has a mate that is a mazda mechanic and said don't ever buy a new mazda CX5 as they are having nothing but trouble with them. We pay good money for our vehicles and expect to be looked after. Our accountant has one and loves it and told us that their car does not vibrate. Think it might be time to ring Mazda's Head Office, probably won't get anywhere there either

Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Merrellann Kirby
We are having the same problems with the vibration coming up through the body of the car, been back to the dealership twice and now have been told that it is a characteristic of the vehicle. We did not feel the vibration when we test drove the vehicle. We have had the tyres rotated and balanced. Then a friend of mine told me that he has a mate that is a mazda mechanic and said don't ever buy a new mazda CX5 as they are having nothing but trouble with them. We pay good money for our vehicles and expect to be looked after. Our accountant has one and loves it and told us that their car does not vibrate. Think it might be time to ring Mazda's Head Office, probably won't get anywhere there either
Is your CX5 an AWD or FWD? I was very frustrated with my AWD as you may have read above. My 'replacement' FWD does not exhibit vibration, uses significantly less fuel and handles better. My AWD vehicle was back at least 4 times. One time, the dealer actually disconnected the drive shaft so I could take a test drive. I didn't feel a vibration with it disconnected. A replacement drive shaft was ordered and installed but that did not resolve the issue. It could be an issue with the transfer case as mentioned above. Knowing your frustration first hand, my best to you toward resolution. Keep us posted.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

The problem only seems to exist with the AWD's, therefore we can ***-u-me that its in the AWD system somewhere. My 'guess' would be in the center coupling, between the front and rear axles, but it is definitely an inherent problem Mazda needs to address.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:04 AM

fingers crossed here. Picked up awd 2015. Dealer was reluctant but when I told him about this post he agreed to a highway trst drive before I sign on the line.. scared the guy, ran it up in the 80's and no vibration.. hope it stays away!
Will update if it starts, or check in now and then and say miles and vibs or no vibes

Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

MazSter, was wondering how your AWD is doing? You haven't updated so I expect the best?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MazSter
fingers crossed here. Picked up awd 2015. Dealer was reluctant but when I told him about this post he agreed to a highway trst drive before I sign on the line.. scared the guy, ran it up in the 80's and no vibration.. hope it stays away!
Will update if it starts, or check in now and then and say miles and vibs or no vibes
I think you should be OK. I actually felt a vibration when I did a test drive with mine but at the time wrote it off to an out-of-balance tire. From my experience, this appears not to be something that develops but is there right from the get-go. My FWD has been good; average MPG is 30.2. Didn't go back for the first service yet, still less than 5k miles.

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration & Shake