Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Default High mileage concerns

Hello,
Newb to the group and to Mazda. Ive owned Toyota and Honda in the past. Had about 8 of those over many years each hitting 250000 miles and 15 give or take years. My wife and I are looking to buy either a 2016 Honda CR-V or a 2017 Mazda CX-5. I know what to expect from the Honda and how to keep it going to 250000 miles. We put close to 20000 miles on our vehicles per year mostly interstate and highway. Im pushing my wife to go with the Mazda but...

I read with concern about the Mazda CX-9 with a "lifetime" water pump that could fail at 80k to 150k miles and trash the engine. Also that to replace the pump required to pull the engine. This prompted me to look at how to maintain the CX-5 with the 2.5 L 4 cyl.

What do I need to know in order to get up to 250K miles on the 2017 CX-5? I read that it uses a timing chain instead of a belt so may not need to replace it ever, however, it still has a water pump and cooling system that needs maintenance. Can the water pump be replaced easy like on the Hondas and Toyotas? I do most all my own maintenance like this and will probably do so with a Mazda if we get one.

What can you tell me about how and what needs to be replaced to get the long life out of the CX-5 that I want?
Thanks.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:44 AM

How often did you change the water pump on your Honda? I just sold a CR-V with 216k miles on it and never touched it.

I can't speak for the CX-9 but 80k to 150k seems like a pretty wide range, and seems more anecdotal than factual. Having said that, I think the motors on these vehicles are the same across platforms (like older CR-V and Civic).

Personally, I went through the same thing with my wife, as she had owned multiple Hondas and "knew" that they were better and more reliable than any others. So I showed her the info on the CR-V oil dilution. Then I showed her the info on the Honda Ridgeline issues. Then I showed her the EverydayDriver hatchback review where Honda rated at the bottom, below the Mazda3 and Hyundai Elantra, for interior materials.

Then, she test drove the CX-5 and the rest is history

Old 08-19-2020, 12:11 PM

That might be in reference to the V-6 engine. The four cylinder,
while a tight fit in the smaller Maxdas, can be easier to remove the
water pump. I'm going by the youtube video of water pump change.

My 2¢

Old 08-19-2020, 12:47 PM

Yea, the CX-9 issue was the V6. I think 80K on a water pump is early and roughly 130K is probably more normal. Not knowing anything about Mazdas I did not know if the 2017 model CX-5 with the 2.5L was a problem like that.

On my other vehicles, one previous toyota i changed timing belt and water pump every 60K. Others every 100K. The Hondas have all been every 100K, so my previous Honda and my current Honda Pilot with 220K miles (had an 02 Odyssey, sold it with 240K miles) and my Toyota have all been replaced twice. I just do it at the 100K mark rather than let it fail. Current Toyota had AC compressor failure at 212K miles and Current Honda had alternator go out at 215K miles. I may go ahead and replace the alternator on the Toyota just cause. We can run without AC but cant run without alternator.

Anyway, you get the drift. Anything I need to know about those CX-5s?

Old 08-19-2020, 06:33 PM

Conveniently posted a few days ago:

Old 08-20-2020, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

There is zero point comparing the old V6 CX-9 to a skyactiv CX-5.

CX-5 will easily reach 250,000 miles with regular and complete servicing. ( Yes I work on them almost every single day )

Old 08-20-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper

CX-5 will easily reach 250,000 miles with regular and complete servicing. ( Yes I work on them almost every single day )
Thanks for that info. That makes me feel good.

Also thanks for that video that explains the cx-5. After seeing that video, I think I will let the dealer or an independent shop do the work on that for me if we go the Mazda route. Looks way to tight for me.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper

Reviving an old thread, but interested in your latest guidance.

We have '13 Mada 6 2.5 approaching 240000km. Wondering if we should be looking to upgrade to something newer to keep going.

Do do tow a 1000kg caravan around 1500km a year which is what is making us nervous.

Any words of wisdom appreciated!

Last edited by Pernod; 01-23-2023 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-23-2023, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pernod
Reviving an old thread, but interested in your latest guidance.

We have '13 Mada 6 2.5 approaching 240000km. Wondering if we should be looking to upgrade to something newer to keep going.

Do do tow a 1000kg caravan around 1500km a year which is what is making us nervous.

Any words of wisdom appreciated!
Automatic transmission recommendation:
I would highly recommend to to do a transmission Pan filter and fluid service. With that service have a sample analyzed to see what the condition of the transmission is in based on oil analysis. This will give you important and reliable information to either keep your Mazda ot think about a new MAZDA!

About Us | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

ASE

Old 01-23-2023, 11:34 AM

Keep in mind, even the best maintenance on the best equipment cannot completely rule out any failures.
Murphy's Law can be found in everything on the planet, including Murphy

Quick Reply: High mileage concerns