Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID/Xenon or LED kit for CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 05:34 PM
Default HID/Xenon or LED kit for CX-5

I’ve been looking around everywhere with no luck. Can someone tell me a nice HID/Xenon or LED kit to replace the terrible factory Halogens that came on my 2016 CX-5? Guessing I need a full kit with ballasts.

Links to some high quality kits would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 06-06-2022, 05:36 PM

I should mention I’m looking for the brightest possible option… and if I recall 4300k is daylight.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:17 PM

I think HID might be the better option for brightness. Any prompt responses would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to do this for my wife’s birthday! She can’t see very well with the stock halogens.

So, can anyone recommend an HID kit with everything needed - ballasts, 4300k bulbs, etc that would fit the 2016 CX-5?

Many thanks!!

Old 06-07-2022, 08:07 AM

You can get excellent performance from LED. Most OEMs use LED, not HID Xenon anymore. The technology still works, but LED is simpler, lighter, easier to install, and doesn't require high voltage ballasts. I would try a plug and play 9005 LED kit on Amazon that has good reviews.
Amazon Amazon
Easy to install and you can return it if you need to.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the LEDs are just plug and play to the halogen setup… no ballast or wiring. Does anyone know of a 4300k bulb setup for daylight?

I really don’t want to have the bulbs go out. This is a gift and I want to do it the right way from the get go. I want it to last… not have to worry about bulbs going out and returning them. That’s part of the reason I was thinking HID. Thoughts? Anyone know of a high quality kit? I’m paying an installer to do this because I’m not really a DIY guy… another reason to go with something that lasts.

Anymore thoughts?

Old 06-07-2022, 10:46 AM

I would suggest LED as others have said. You don't need to pay someone to do it. Plug and play. Look around on Amazon. They should have hundreds of choices with different colors of light available (4k, 5k, 6k). One of the brands I like is Katana. Another is OPT7. One thing to consider is the headlight housings you have are designed specifically for halogen bulbs. Often when you try another technology, you get patchy light patterns. This is why being able to return things is important as some are better than others (read the reviews). I have had to send bulbs back at times. HID may require a custom housing modification to accept them (maybe they make a plug and play kit, but I have never converted from halogen to HID).

Old 06-07-2022, 10:56 AM

Thanks for your reply. Can anyone provide links to ~4000k bulbs that they know work well?

I have looked at reviews and these three seem to be highly rated by comparison, but still, 6000k which may not be as bright.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

https:/www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JNY3ZVZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A298MPJAFJ2R5R&psc=1

Old 06-08-2022, 03:56 AM

I've used an OPT7 kit (H11 bulb standard) on my previous vehicle's fog lights with very good performance. There are many other good brands as well. It's very easy to replace yourself. Check out the videos on www.carcarekiosk.com for a step by step walkthrough on changing any lights.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jonf49
I should mention I’m looking for the brightest possible option… and if I recall 4300k is daylight.
Just FYI lumens is brightness K is color. The higher the K the whiter they are.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cohappy
Just FYI lumens is brightness K is color. The higher the K the whiter they are.
The K is the color hue. When you get to 6k or so it's more blue. 5k is really equivalent to daylight. Hard to find automotive LEDS in anything other than 6k for headlights. 4300 is a color associated with HID or Xenon lights.

Quick Reply: HID/Xenon or LED kit for CX-5