Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! brand new 2015 - horrible mileage - 23mpg for highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Banned

Unfortunately all 4 cylinder vehicles have to rev higher as the engine is smaller. If they added another overdrive gear the engine would lag causing not great mileage and other issues. also, the CX-5 is not an aerodynamic vehicle for great mileage, it might be best is class but the class is not aerodynamic.
Mileage figures are usually based on around 50 mph. With everything else i mentioned, this mileage gets worse fast.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Default average mpg deviations

Still don't understand how so many people in the forum are claiming their CX5 ges 32-33 mpg in highway driving at 70 plus mph and mine gets only 26.5 with a very smooth pedal, and also when using cruise. Also, new EPA test guidelines apparently alter speeds to real world conditions up to 75 mph (they stopped using an average 50mph driving in 2008) when determining highway mpg.

Last edited by Suziesilverado; 02-06-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Remember a couple of things:
- your mileage will improve after the engine has been broken in - this can take a few thousand miles sometimes
- you won't get as good mileage with winter formulated gas
- check your tire pressure - if underinflated it can have a big impact on your mileage
- the mileage readout in the instrument cluster is only an estimate - you need to track your mileage and fillups to determine the real mileage

Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 PM

I have a 2014 GT FWD with around 10,500 miles on it and I never get more than 16 mpg. Again, I don't understand how others get higher gas mileage. Perhaps it is in some engine or a computer adjustment. I too have a light foot and try very hard to get higher MPG. I have also reset the average mileage calculator a few times. Doesn't seem to matter. That RAV 4 is looking like a better deal.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by fvansan
I have a 2014 GT FWD with around 10,500 miles on it and I never get more than 16 mpg. Again, I don't understand how others get higher gas mileage. Perhaps it is in some engine or a computer adjustment. I too have a light foot and try very hard to get higher MPG. I have also reset the average mileage calculator a few times. Doesn't seem to matter. That RAV 4 is looking like a better deal.
I'd suggest taking it into the dealer to have it checked out.

Is your driving up and down hills a lot or on flat interstates? This too can have a large affect on your mileage...

Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 AM

For comparison, I typically get 31-32mpg on flat interstate trips at 70mph using cruise control, windows closed, and no air conditioner (or defroster) usage. I have the Touring AWD version, using regular gas, no roof racks, and little extra weight in the back (a bag with some tools and trailer hitch). I've had as high as 36mpg on a few trips - this measured with miles between fillups and gallons of gas per fillup.

On one trip from Mass. to Michigan it was very hot with a strong headwind most of the trip. This knocked off 5mpg. When I pull my 700lb. teardrop trailer my mileage drops down to 19-21mpg.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 AM

And lastly, a few other ideas/things to check:
- check your air filter - it might need replacing if your conditions are very dusty, lots of smog or pollen, etc.
- if you're using cheap off-brand gas try using a national brand for a few fillups to see if that makes a difference
- disconnect your battery for a couple of minutes and then reconnect it so the computer will re-learn and re-adjust to your driving style.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Default CX5 diesel AWD 10k

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I'd be pissed too, however i just noticed you drive fast. Too fast for good mileage. Your vehicle is not really aerodynamic like a Ferrari to get decent mileage at higher speeds.
Best mileage is @ 50 mph generally speaking. You should get close @ 60 mph.
I used to drive a diesel RAV4 with over 45 gall, expecting the CX5 to be better. How wrong can you be! You are spot on about the gearing, with the need to have at least two more cogs to achieve anything over 40mpg on the motorway.
Given the comments from everyone on poor fuel return I am wondering if we have ground for a class action against Mazda?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by rvs1951
I used to drive a diesel RAV4 with over 45 gall, expecting the CX5 to be better. How wrong can you be! You are spot on about the gearing, with the need to have at least two more cogs to achieve anything over 40mpg on the motorway.
Given the comments from everyone on poor fuel return I am wondering if we have ground for a class action against Mazda?
First off, you can't compare a diesel to a gas vehicle for mileage. The diesel will almost always get better mileage. If you were expecting the same or better mileage with the CX-5 that's unrealistic.

Secondly, a class action suit? Don't be ridiculous. Most people are getting good mileage - not much of a class there. I think you need to look both at your driving style and maybe take your under-warranty CX-5 into the dealer to have it checked out.

Having thought about it some more, here are a few other things to have checked out:
- is the car in 4 wheel drive all the time? That would reduce mileage. If you've never rotated the tires and the rears are worn as much as the fronts that might be a symptom of this
- you might have a sensor sending a bad reading that is making the engine run too rich
- also check that you don't have a stuck brake caliper that might be dragging - have all your brake pads checked. Also that your emergency brake is fully disengaged and not causing brake dragging...

Last edited by JonW; 02-08-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Hi Guys!
I traded a 2009 Civic EX Coupe with a 5 speed manual last week for a new FWD 2015 CX5 Sport automatic.The Honda got 30mpg combined. I filled the Mazda for the first time yesterday and the computer said 30.8 for the tank which matched my miles/gallons arithmatic. Couldn't be happier !
I must admit I left the information screen in the mode that tells you the current gas consumption. I watch it constantly and it has changed my driving habits.
Marc

Last edited by mml4; 03-07-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: addition of text

Quick Reply: HELP! brand new 2015 - horrible mileage - 23mpg for highway