Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Tried Using a Pedal Commander on their CX-5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 05:34 PM
Default Has Anyone Tried Using a Pedal Commander on their CX-5?

Was thinking about trying one of these mostly for fun (something new to try out) but curious if anyone has tried one of these. Not looking to race for a pink slips but the 2.5 turbo has some decent potential, I think (2020 CX-5 with 2.5L Turbo). Maybe. I dunno. Don't want to blow the engine or kill my warranty and I'm certainly not going to be swapping exhausts, installing a CAI, thermo, etc. Was just curious if for $300 it actually does anything. It seems like so many of these products end up just being junk that doesn't work or may work but also destroy your hardware (engine/etc.).

https://pedalcommander.com/products/...32886931685466

Old 09-13-2021, 06:51 PM

All of these throttle boosters do the same thing. They don’t increase the throttle opening, they don’t over-ride the ECM programming, all they can do is is to fool the ECM into thinking you are depressing the throttle farther than you actually are. Just because you push the throttle to the floor doesn’t mean the throttle body opens all the way immediately - it doesn’t. The ECM will only open it wide/fast enough to accommodate what it thinks is adequate airflow, which can take seconds - it isn’t at all like a cable to the TB. This can be a good thing because mashing the throttle at too low an rpm will create a bog, something most drivers would hate.

This isn’t to say that a booster isn’t fun. I had an ECM programmer for a previous vehicle with a throttle booster function, and it did make the throttle feel more responsive. It wasn’t really, it just fooled the ECM into thinking that my half-throttle input was really full throttle. I can’t see it causing a blown engine because the ECM still controls everything. Whether it’s worth it or not is up to the buyer.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:40 PM

Thank you for the feedback! So is it worth messing with or is there a better product? Only point worth making besides the engine (2.5L turbo) is that is a California car (and I'm leaving in 10 days for the midwest). Not sure if the emissions/etc. plays a role in it all.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:23 AM

New to the forum and to my '21 CX5 Signature. Since I bought it new in August, the PC41 Pedal Commander is honestly the best upgrade I have done to it. It eliminates what I found was a delay in the first 25-30% of pedal travel. Personally, I have found that it makes a HUGE difference and makes the car much more fun to drive. In full disclosure, I think I'm taking about a 5%-10% fuel economy hit, but for the better driving experience I'll give that up all day.

Now, is it worth $349? Not sure about that but given how much I enjoy it I'd tend to say "Yes". I was lucky though, found a used one on FB Marketplace and got it shipped (used) to me for $135, For me, I couldn't be happier with it,

Also have done the: Corksport muffler, hood struts, rear spoiler, stainless pedal covers and a few other small 'bits and pieces. Overall, I am very happy with this car. Just hit 4K miles and di my first oil change. EASY!!!

Old 11-15-2021, 09:48 AM

The Pedal Commander does not change but does effect the ECU and how it response to the throttle position. It can be useful to help increase your MPG or just to have a crisper throttle in some driving situations. Again for those that have had other product that do not work well and are nothing more then a pre set drive by wire throttle tie in the Pedel commander is not one of those cheap products.

To be clear so there is no misunderstanding the Pedal Commander will not increase your power but will influence several ECU outputs to various engine controls. Having used a Power Commander on several vehicles and specifically my MAZDA and performed at least a dozen DYNO runs the Throttle Commander on my Mazda it will not change the results of a DYNO. But having it makes it easier to do a DYNO test on a MAZDA with an automatic and Skiactiv engine.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-15-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:15 AM

Yup, 100% agree with everything you said. It's just that to me it FEELS so much crisper to me and I genuinely like the throttle response where I didn't so much before.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:15 PM

So here is a stupid question.
Putting the car in Sport Mode seems to increase throttle response and shift points. The CX5 Turbo in sports mode feels like a different car. It is my wife's car, but she tells me she likes to use sport mode on narrow windy roads because she feels she has more control over the car. It responds instantly to her inputs compared to non-sport mode.

How is the pedal commander different?

Old 11-18-2021, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
So here is a stupid question.
Putting the car in Sport Mode seems to increase throttle response and shift points. The CX5 Turbo in sports mode feels like a different car. It is my wife's car, but she tells me she likes to use sport mode on narrow windy roads because she feels she has more control over the car. It responds instantly to her inputs compared to non-sport mode.

How is the pedal commander different?
Pedal Commander: Steeper throttle percentage points. The higher sport setting are IMHO not user friendly and can get an inexperienced driver in a whole lot of trouble fast. The throttle is about 25% physically actuation to 93% throttle. So basically barely touching the pedal you are at full usable throttle input to the ECU.

With Pedal Commander off I rarely use sport mod and prefer manual shift & trac off. The ECU performance output is much different and really more manageable for spirited driving. Sport mode is really for pushing the limits of the vehicle and the drivers ability's. Most really don't utilize what the sport mode can do. Just make sure your wife is careful. I hope she is at least leaving the traction controls on?
The good thing is ALL Skiactiv Mazda engines have a rev and MPH limit that can only be adjusted from a competent ECU Performance Calibrator with the proper ECU access program.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-18-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:51 AM
Default Pedal Commander

Best Upgrade I ever did for my CX-5. It is the "Real Deal!" No Turbo Lag, great acceleration. Worth every penny.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doozy
Thank you for the feedback! So is it worth messing with or is there a better product? Only point worth making besides the engine (2.5L turbo) is that is a California car (and I'm leaving in 10 days for the midwest). Not sure if the emissions/etc. plays a role in it all.
I have '19 GTR Turbo and it works better than I expected. Good Investment!

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Tried Using a Pedal Commander on their CX-5?