Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Fuel Cap Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 05:38 PM
Default Fuel Cap Won't Open

Fuel cap DOOR* won't open. I have a 2017 CX-5 with about 7k miles. The door isn't frozen. I've had someone else try and push/pull on it when pulling the cable. The cable is obviously loose (the fuel cap release goes way too far back) but I can hear the cable actuating the release on the door, it just won't release. I think the cable somehow came off the mechanism on the door. I've also tried release it with a credit card. Can anyone offer any insight? Can someone provide me a photo of their inner fuel door mechanism release? Everything online isn't high quality enough for me to see. I am really low on gas and I need to try and fix this before tomorrow. Thank you.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:12 PM

I looked in the manual and can't find anything and my wife has the CX5 right now so I can't look at it, but the MX5 has an emergency release in the trunk. You have to remove the trunk liner on the side where the filler is and then reach up and flip a lever to open the door. You have to be careful as there are a lot of sharp edges in that small compartment. I believe the Mazda 3 also had something similar, so it's possible that there is something on the CX5. I did a quick web search and didn't find anything.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Open the boot, look at the LHS of the boot, just behind the tail light you will see a small trim panel about 6"x4" carefully pry out this panel, using a small torch you should be able to see thru the opening to where the release cable attaches to the fuel flap release mechanism, if your luck you can reach in and manually operate the release mechanism.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:05 AM

for the USA people. ha!

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Open the Trunk Lid, look at the LHS (Left Hand Side) of the inside of the trunk, just behind the tail light you will see a small trim panel about 6"x4" carefully pry out this panel, using a small flashlight you should be able to see thru the opening to where the release cable attaches to the fuel flap release mechanism, if your luck you can reach in and manually operate the release mechanism.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Next time I will type slower so all ya folks fully understand

Old 01-17-2021, 07:47 PM

I was a MOSS distributor for years and worked on and personally owned several British manufactured cars specifically MG's. In fact I wrote a tech article that was distributed for years world wide called How to Americanize you MB. So your vehicle nomenclature language was derived from English language. I jokingly used the the more universal descriptive terms instead of the English version for the playful translation.
Oh and I have a complete set of British Whitworth Tools. LOL ....
And one of my favorite actors is still Mel Gibson.... with IMHO all time best movie for him Mad Max! lol

Old 01-19-2021, 11:24 AM
Talking

Well said Grim

Old 01-20-2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I was a MOSS distributor for years and worked on and personally owned several British manufactured cars specifically MG's. In fact I wrote a tech article that was distributed for years world wide called How to Americanize you MB. So your vehicle nomenclature language was derived from English language. I jokingly used the the more universal descriptive terms instead of the English version for the playful translation.
Oh and I have a complete set of British Whitworth Tools. LOL ....
And one of my favorite actors is still Mel Gibson.... with IMHO all time best movie for him Mad Max! lol
Mel was born in New York and raised in Australia how does him being your fav actor factor into the above?

Old 01-20-2021, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Mel was born in New York and raised in Australia how does him being your fav actor factor into the above?
He is an Australian actor?
It was jokingly towards grim_reaper which I think you knew that

Old 01-20-2021, 10:55 AM
BWJ

Do just like MAZDA, keep the track.

Quick Reply: Fuel Cap Won't Open