Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expansion Tank Overfilling

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 09:09 AM
Default Expansion Tank Overfilling

Hi all, I have recently had a problem with the expansion tank overfilling on my 2.2l 175bhp diesel. It is a 2013 model. I have tried changing the thermostat and the radiator cap but this has made no difference. I have also been siphoning excess coolant out of the expansion tank and re filling the radiator every few days. It is now filling much quicker which suggests that the issue is getting worse. I have not had the engine overheating warning light yet and now it's getting worse I am not using it. I have read that the engine is very prone to head gasket and cracked cylinder liner problems and it would appear that Mazda Australia consider it a manufacture issue and replace affected engines. Does anyone know what the situation is in the UK as I don't want to spend £2000 or more on a repair if that is the case here?

Old 06-19-2023, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by davecrusty
Hi all, I have recently had a problem with the expansion tank overfilling on my 2.2l 175bhp diesel. It is a 2013 model. I have tried changing the thermostat and the radiator cap but this has made no difference. I have also been siphoning excess coolant out of the expansion tank and re filling the radiator every few days. It is now filling much quicker which suggests that the issue is getting worse. I have not had the engine overheating warning light yet and now it's getting worse I am not using it. I have read that the engine is very prone to head gasket and cracked cylinder liner problems and it would appear that Mazda Australia consider it a manufacture issue and replace affected engines. Does anyone know what the situation is in the UK as I don't want to spend £2000 or more on a repair if that is the case here?
Hi, how did you finally resolved this problem? I have the same situation with my 2014 Mazda 6 2.2 skyactiv. Two mechanics said that is not a problem, two said that is the head gasket.
Thank you.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:57 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by Marius77
Hi, how did you finally resolved this problem? I have the same situation with my 2014 Mazda 6 2.2 skyactiv. Two mechanics said that is not a problem, two said that is the head gasket.
Thank you.
Hi Marius, unfortunately on dismantling to look at the head gasket, the mechanic found that the camshafts originally fitted were very badly worn and the shavings of metal coming off the sides had damaged the water pump, the turbo and possibly other areas of the engine which would make it economically not worth repairing. Despite it being a manufacturing problem (the camshaft fitted was not properly hardened as admitted by Mazda in a list of affected vehicles), because I had not bought it from or had it serviced by a Mazda dealer, they would not do anything about it. After contacting the Ombudsman he said that my only recourse was to contact the garage where I bought it as the fault existed when I bought the car. Typically, this dealer was no longer in business and I ended up having to sell the car for spares or repair at £6000 below its second hand value. Was very disappointed and annoyed that Mazda would take no responsibility for a manufacturing fault and as a result I will never ever buy another Mazda despite the fact that i really liked the vehicle before the problems, I hope for your sake that yours is just the head gasket.