Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPB warning after Brake pad change (done in maintenance mode only)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 07:36 AM
Default EPB warning after Brake pad change (done in maintenance mode only)

I'm after some help if anyone had the same issue or can advise. The brake pad and disc was replaced following the proper instruction and ensuring it was done in maintenance mode on my 2015 CX-5 2.2D Skyactiv manual, but after taking it out of maintenance mode and then applying the EPB I got the amber P warning and handbrake symbol flashing. I can manage to use it daily as I can release the EPB first time getting into the car (even after turning ON), and then can apply again, but after that I cannot release it a 2nd time. To release again (2nd time) the vehicle will need to be turned off and then back in ACC (press start twice ). Problem is only when I applied the EPB anytime in between the trip (like in a signal or waiting), then I will not be able to release it unless I cycle the ignition again. Its been like this for 3 months and the park brake holds the vehicle well on inclines every time and hill assist works well too, just the odd situation of cannot release EPB if I used in between trips. First I thought something wrong with the EPB motor, hence replaced it, but that did not solve the issue. The only DTC I get is C112A(77), nothing else with it. Any idea anyone ?

Last edited by mmk308; 03-27-2022 at 11:10 AM. Reason: DTC number added
Old 03-26-2022, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Has it been scanned for fault codes?

Old 03-26-2022, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Has it been scanned for fault codes?
When I scanned I got the DTC as C112A(77)

Old 03-27-2022, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mmk308
I'm after some help if anyone had the same issue or can advise. The brake pad and disc was replaced following the proper instruction and ensuring it was done in maintenance mode on my 2015 CX-5 2.2D Skyactiv manual, but after taking it out of maintenance mode and then applying the EPB I got the amber P warning and handbrake symbol flashing. I can manage to use it daily as I can release the EPB first time getting into the car (even after turning ON), and then can apply again, but after that I cannot release it a 2nd time. To release again (2nd time) the vehicle will need to be turned off and then back in ACC (press start twice ). Problem is only when I applied the EPB anytime in between the trip (like in a signal or waiting), then I will not be able to release it unless I cycle the ignition again. Its been like this for 3 months and the park brake holds the vehicle well on inclines every time and hill assist works well too, just the odd situation of cannot release EPB if I used in between trips. First I thought something wrong with the EPB motor, hence replaced it, but that did not solve the issue. The only DTC I get is C112A(77), nothing else with it. Any idea anyone ?

When I did my rear brakes on my '16, it was aggravating. I had to go through the process twice to be able to retract my rear calipers to replace the pads. It took two or three times to get it back out of maintenance mode. I even attended U of Y (University of Youtube) to watch how it was done. Try going through the maintenance and then getting out of it a couple of times.

I sometimes think engineers don't like people and make things harder than they need to be. Especially windshield wiper blade attachment systems.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

mmk308, Did you push the pistons in or turn/wind them in?

Old 03-28-2022, 10:31 AM

@grim_reaper It was done by my regular garage. Just checked and he said he pushed/ compressed it in. What would happen if it was turned/ wind in and if so what would the repair/ solution be ?

Old 03-28-2022, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Twisting will stuff it.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by mmk308
@grim_reaper It was done by my regular garage. Just checked and he said he pushed/ compressed it in. What would happen if it was turned/ wind in and if so what would the repair/ solution be ?

If it wasn't in maintenance mode, it wouldn't push in.