Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does CX-5 2018 have problems with its engine-oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Default Does CX-5 2018 have problems with its engine-oil?

I was about to buy a used Mazda CX-5 (2018 model). Ready to buy I was searching for a mechanic to verify that all is ok with the car. I am not aware of a mechanic and my father called one. When we told him the car brand and model he immediately came back to us with no, don't buy it. This model has problems with its engine and he said something with oil related. I asked him back if he was referring to Mazda CX-5 and then about the specific 2018 model and he came back saying he was positive about the problem.

We talked a little bit more about other stuff and other cars and his attitude didn't satisfy me in general about other topics so I wanted to verify if this model indeed has such problems.

Last edited by stoxic; 04-19-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:08 PM

Wow, that's kinda an off-the-wall accusation. I had not heard anything like that at all. The 2.5 NA (which I assume is the subject being referred to) has been out like 7 years now, and I have done considerable research and have not uncovered any such problem, remotely or otherwise.

Are you certain this gentleman was not confusing the CX-5 with the CR-V 1.5L oil-dilution issue?

Makes no sense.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by stoxic
I was about to buy a used Mazda CX-5 (2018 model). Ready to buy I was searching for a mechanic to verify that all is ok with the car. I am not aware of a mechanic and my father called one. When we told him the car brand and model he immediately came back to us with no, don't buy it. This model has problems with its engine and he said something with oil related. I asked him back if he was referring to Mazda CX-5 and then about the specific 2018 model and he came back saying he was positive about the problem.

We talked a little bit more about other stuff and other cars and his attitude didn't satisfy me in general about other topics so I wanted to verify if this model instead had such problems.
What engine is in the CX-5 you were considering. Here in the U.S. the 2.5 liter engine in the CX-5 has no history of oil consumption issues.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:04 PM

As the previous poster asked, which engine are you considering? Our 2018 CX-5 with the 2.5 liter engine has no oil consumption issues at all, I check the oil level pretty frequently between oil changes, that's how I am sure.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 AM

It is a Diesel Engine (Skyactive-D). The car is the CX-5 2.2 6sp AUTO

Any idea if he meant something else I confused/misunderstood? In general to you suggest I buy this car in terms of mechanical maintenance?

Thanks guys. I really loved this car but I don't want to make a mistaken purchase after what I heard from this mechanic.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 AM

We do not have the diesel CX-5 in the US, yet, so I cannot comment on that. But, I used to own a VW diesel and after the diesel scandal I turned away from diesel for good. I see it as old technology, but that is of course my personal opinion.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 AM

Updating on the matter for anyone in Europe or considering the diesel CX-5 2018 model.

I talked with 3 mechanics here in Cyprus. They all verified that the engine has severe problems. In fact new owners immediately try to sell them when they find out and as a result there are a lot of CX-5 with low mileage in the market.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Old 04-23-2019, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Earl CX-5s had oil issues. Which have been fixed. 2018 will be fine.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:56 AM

Hello Grim Reaper had a look through the diesel problems CX5 thread and you are generally stating avoid Diesel, unfortunately we only have the crap Petrol engine in UK so its Diesel or nothing.

Looks like on this thread you are advocating for the 2018 model to be ok, is that still the case since 2019 when you made this post or have you started to see more issues - assuming you are still working for Mazda?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Does CX-5 2018 have problems with its engine-oil?