Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with the dealer ? Or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 11:13 AM
Default Dealing with the dealer ? Or not ?

Ive been a Mazda owner going back decades- We lived in northern Ca and in general the dealerships were pretty good. If you knew your stuff making a new car purchase could be enjoyable - Service was usually expensive , yet most often done right . We now live in a southern state for 3 yrs . I purchased 2 new Mazda CX5s and been in for basic service stuff mainly for convienience mostly oil changes.
- Well Ive always believed the most dealerships were good and that only a select few were less than honest. Mazda was always a small operation usually attached to another bigger named dealership - Subaru ,VW etc.- Now they are flying solo in most locations -
Ive now been to literally every dealership in my state and the 2 sales experiences were beyond bad and the service visits often resulted in having issues that didnt exist occur or improper work with " value line parts " - One dealer overfilled my oil , torqued the oil drain bolt so tight I needed both arms and a breaker bar to remove it - seeing also the value line filter they used .
one dealer " said .adding things ( pac ) was done on every car - things many people , never want and charging absurd prices - ?
Im asking anyone to share thier dealership experiences - Either sales or service - I dont know if its just my state or if its a wave of greed and deception sweeping Mazdas new popularity. customer service seems gone , just marketing - they wont answer questions without profiling you in the system - Im done and will not buy or service my car at any dealer in my state - and will consider doing nationwide shopping and buying in another state

Last edited by retread888; 08-03-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:27 AM

If you feel you are being ripped off or otherwise, avoid that dealership or service center. I just purchased a 2023 CX-5 PP and will use the dealership and see how it goes. There has always been greed and deception, and not just in the automotive industry. I purchase my new automobile on July 15, for the sticker price plus destination charge plus sales taxes, the latter of which neither the dealership nor I have any control over. I had them add the clear bra and clear coat protection (inside and out), mud flaps, rear bumper protection, heavy duty floor mats, cargo heavy duty floor mat, cargo area cover all for $699. There are plenty of bad apples out there, regrettably we have to find the good ones.

Many years ago, in the early 2010s, Fisher Honda of Boulder did an oil change on my 2007 Civic Hybrid. The seal on the plug was not properly set and fell off a few thousand miles later. The engine was destroyed. They hauled the automobile back to the dealership and put in a brand new engine, provided me with quality transportation, and covered all of the costs 100% for their error, all without me raising a peep. That is the gold standard, hell the platinum standard by which I will judge any other dealer, regardless of which automobiles they sell. When they delivered the final product, I took photos of the engine, one could literally eat off of it, it was immaculate. The owner of the dealership came and talked to me personally to assure me that they made the error and would make it right. Not everyone out there is a bad apple.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:33 AM

I've been fortunate to have good dealers around me. Same goes for my girlfriend in Florida. As mentioned earlier, if you have a bad experience than don't go back unless you absolutely have to.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:36 AM

First this is not an uncommon information about dealer additions that has been going on for decades. Cant say there is anything wrong with that. If you dont like them or want to pay for them shop another dealership.

The next thing SERVICE... well hate to bring you up to speed but this is an issue across the retail business in every aspect for a few reasons most are all political. NO ONE once to work unless they get paid what they (inthere dreams) think they are worth, no one once to become trained either by trade school or just plain OLD FASHION Colledge. And frankly people in the US are just become lazy and want the handouts. COVID boosted this employment and customer service negativity .
What really pisses me off is the homeless that sprout up anywhere and we are all so afraid to deal with it? Also these homeless as well nonhome less will stand in front of business and ask for anything it helps and 6 feet from them is a business with a HELP WANTED SIGN! WTF!!!!

Dealerships are for the most part still independently owned business and as such they can run and sell products anyway; they feel as as long as the Mazda contact guidelines are met. Mazda most all the other auto manufacture contract to seel are basically the same. I suggest if you are really interested get one and read it.
These dealerships even in Northern CA ar having difficulty keep quality people employed for the reason above I mentioned. So basically IDK.
In my businesses I pay people fairly for what they are worth. But it is really hard when a none speaking English person(s) doing what they call yard maintenance (no real training or any real knowledge on the full aspects of it), house cleaning people same qualification as gardeners (for the most part) almost NONE licensed or for that matter insured, are making 40-50k a year. And I am not kidding. One of our top Certified Automotive technicians left last summer to work for his brother. doing yard maintenance and he was getting a base salary of 1000 a week and benefits. He said he can make more working for his brother and not claim the income WTF!!!!!

Bottom line DONT EXPECT MUCH I NTHE WAY OF GREAT OR EVEN GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE AT DEALERSHIPS FOR A LONG TIME TO COME!
Ok my RANT may be done? ROLMAO....

Old 08-02-2023, 12:01 PM

Was not insinuating that all dealers are bad

Last edited by retread888; 08-06-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by retread888
I never said all dealers were bad - yet every dealer in my new small state with about 12 Mazda dealers total has proven to be poor - there is a climate of gouging on sales/ rushing thru service to beat the job pars , then trying to get $65 for a cabin air filter thats got 5k milez on it -+ its behind the glove box and its like falling off a log easy to change / so trust me , if you want a specific color or trim thats popular - then pac goes on /. My last recent purchase , I called and they said the car I wanted was due in the next day " in transit " - and after being there prior knew it was true - Next day- packed with extras overnight after we discussed #s ?
And didnt find out until im in finance - I dont mind paying for things , its the climate of treating customers like theyre stupid and seeing what you can get away with - It was a rare experience before , now its common where we moved to - so thats why Im asking other Mazda owners nationwide - thier experiences- I sold almost every type of car on the US market over 35 years - and have seen and , yes .... been a part of dealers doing the same thing / but I left those places - I honestly agree with Calisto - I see pride in hard work is lost - and short-sighted profits are good - I wish there was a dealer here I trusted -
As you know I am northern Ca. I deal with and have accounts at 3 Mazda dealerships. They are within about 15 minutes of each other. My parts discount is almost 15% DIFFERENT FROM ONE THEN THE OTHER ANS YET THEY BOTH GET THE MAZDA PARTS FORM THE SAME DISTRIBUTOR. lol
One of the dealerships the service manager is a horse's **** and it all about volume and the latest spiff for service write up????? REALLY sorta like your cabin filter. LOL The other dealership is like a different world altogether. They let customers actually walk around for at least 10-15 minutes before attacking them, if you say NO to dealer add ons they negotiate ( I have listened many times while waiting for parts pick up) . I have had a few long time customers ask if I can go with them when they are looking to buy a new car. I become their son while visiting the dealerships. LOL Like you I also sold a few line as a "CAR SALESMAN" (very short time) and let the car sell itself rather than me. They still got hammered in the financing department and sometime left pissed!

Last edited by Callisto; 08-02-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
As you know I am northern Ca. I deal with and have accounts at 3 Mazda dealerships. They are within about 15 minutes of each other. My parts discount is almost 15% DIFFERENT FROM ONE THEN THE OTHER ANS YET THEY BOTH GET THE MAZDA PARTS FORM THE SAME DISTRIBUTOR. lol
One of the dealerships the service manager is a horse's **** and it all about volume and the latest spiff for service write up????? REALLY sorta like your cabin filter. LOL The other dealership is like a different world altogether. They let customers actually walk around for at least 10-15 minutes before attacking them, if you say NO to dealer add ons they negotiate ( I have listened many times while waiting for parts pick up) . I have had a few long time customers ask if I can go with them when they are looking to buy a new car. I become their son while visiting the dealerships. LOL Like you I also sold a few line as a "CAR SALESMAN" (very short time) and let the car sell itself rather than me. They still got hammered in the financing department and sometime left pissed!
It would seem like you would get the red carpet - I mean - it sounds like you have some form of independent outside contact with car people - and a reccomendation from you might translate into business -but hey what do I know -
Suppose im strange , as they say x car salesmen are lay downs ( a dealership term for an easy sale ) - I would have paid the exact same thing I did and been happy if they had not assumed they needed to put a shiv in my back - Never ever thought I would welcome buying a car from a computer vending machine - delivered to my house on a flatbed- ( this is still unlikely ) - But who knows

Old 08-02-2023, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by retread888
It would seem like you would get the red carpet - I mean - it sounds like you have some form of independent outside contact with car people - and a recommendation from you might translate into business -but hey what do I know -
Suppose im strange , as they say x car salesmen are lay downs ( a dealership term for an easy sale ) - I would have paid the exact same thing I did and been happy if they had not assumed they needed to put a shiv in my back - Never ever thought I would welcome buying a car from a computer vending machine - delivered to my house on a flatbed- ( this is still unlikely ) - But who knows
I do at Mazda Dealer Sacramento CA New & Used Cars for Sale near Roseville CA - Maita Mazda > I have actually walked into their service department and freely helped a couple of Techs for fun and a free lunch a few times. LOL
Mazda is not my Hobby vehicle only the Dailey driver believe it or not. I am not sure I have even recommended to anyone on any Mazda forum or in the real world to buy a Mazda. But don't hold that against me I can't remember the last time aI recommended any specific auto manufacture? I don't want the responsibility or the slightest chance to lose my credibility. LOL

Old 08-02-2023, 01:32 PM

Competition is good -
Thanks for the Reccomendation

Last edited by retread888; 08-03-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:16 PM

I'm lucky, as I live in a state with a very small population 1.3 million.
If you run a bad dealership (or any business) the local community knows it and generally speaking the entire state is aware as well.
Basically, if you get ripped off in this state you probably deserve it as you've done zero homework.
I never give "anyone" any money for something I didn't ask for, don't want or is substandard.
Worked for me so far, except a few times when my wants overcame my good judgement and I deservedly got burned.
But that was decidedly non-mechanical entities.

Quick Reply: Dealing with the dealer ? Or not ?