Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Dealer maintenace

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Default Dealer maintenace

My 2015 CX-5 GT AWD is at the dealer right now for 30,000 mi. maintenance. They just called and said that they also recommend flushing the brake lines and replacing engine air filter/clean throttle body. I don't see that on the Mazda recommended scheduled maintenance (https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/...e-schedule.pdf)

What do you think? Is any of this necessary?

One nice thing is that I didn't know about the lift gate recall, and they are taking care of that.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM

If Mazda doesn't call for it in the maintenance schedule, it's not necessary. Looks like what you should be doing (according to schedule 2 maintenance) is cabin air filter and probably engine air filter. Throttle body cleaning is unnecessary BS and brake flush is of questionable value at this mileage.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 AM

My thoughts exactly. This is why I don't generally use or trust dealers.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:58 PM

The only item which *might* be called for is the brake flush; brake fluid starts getting sketchy in its third year, and beyond three years should be replaced.

As for the air filter; a dirty filter filters better than a clean filter, leave the old one in.

On to the cleaning of the throttle body; I know there are folks who swear by this service, and others, myself included, who think you're better skipping this particular activity for the life of the vehicle.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MDazda
My 2015 CX-5 GT AWD is at the dealer right now for 30,000 mi. maintenance. They just called and said that they also recommend flushing the brake lines and replacing engine air filter/clean throttle body. I don't see that on the Mazda recommended scheduled maintenance (https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/...e-schedule.pdf)

One nice thing is that I didn't know about the lift gate recall, and they are taking care of that.
Brake fluid change is required every 2 years. Don't pay more than $100 for it.
air filter yes, but that's it. Add a bottle of Techron or Amsoil PI. The throttle body should not be dirty unless your air filter failed.

Last edited by Browneye; 06-14-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MDazda

Originally Posted by shipo
The only item which *might* be called for is the brake flush; brake fluid starts getting sketchy in its third year, and beyond three years should be replaced.

As for the air filter; a dirty filter filters better than a clean filter, leave the old one in.

On to the cleaning of the throttle body; I know there are folks who swear by this service, and others, myself included, who think you're better skipping this particular activity for the life of the vehicle.
Dirty air filter? Uh, no.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Browneye
Dirty air filter? Uh, no.
Uhhh, yes. The fact is, all sieve type air filters, including the one in our cars, continue to improve their efficiency as they collect more and more dirt. If you don't believe me, or want to believe me, that doesn't change the fact it is true. Look it up.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Uhhh, yes. The fact is, all sieve type air filters, including the one in our cars, continue to improve their efficiency as they collect more and more dirt. If you don't believe me, or want to believe me, that doesn't change the fact it is true. Look it up.
Absolutely ridiculous. If you want to ignore proper maintenance on your cars that's fine, but please don't come onto an owners forum and start telling people to neglect their cars and that it is the right way to take care of them. Preposterous.

There is FAR more evidence to properly maintain your vehicle, including changing ALL filters, than to ignore them or leave them in place.

We can sure tell you never rode a dirtbike, mowed a lawn, or raced offroad. [shrug]

From 'Cars Direct'...

5 Benefits of Changing Your Air Filter

January 27, 2012
2 Comments
Email

There are at least 5 benefits of changing your air filter regularly; better gas mileage, reduced emissions, improved acceleration, increased engine life and overall improved driveability. For each gallon of fuel burned, the engine uses up to 10,000 gallons of air; thus why it is easy to understand how vital a clean air filter is to the proper operation of a car.
1. Increased fuel efficiency:
One of the biggest reasons to change your air filter regularly. Some studies indicate that replacing a dirty air filter increases fuel mileage on older, carburated cars by as much as 14 percent if the filter is so dirty it affects driveability. In addition, changing a clogged air filter can potentially increase acceleration by 6 to 11 percent on modern fuel-injected cars. Other studies claim a 10 percent increase in gas mileage and up to 15¢ per gallon fuel savings. Regardless of the exact figures, it is obvious that a clean air filter improves air flow to the engine and increases engine performance and gas mileage.

2. Reduced emissions:
Clogged air filters can reduce air flow to the engine, literally choking it, and as a result affect the emission control systems of the car causing an incorrect air-fuel mixture and spark plug ignition problems which can lead to serious driveability issues. Spark plugs can become fouled which often times result in an engine miss or rough idle, while also greatly affecting fuel mileage. It can also increase engine deposits caused by having too rich of a fuel mixture and may cause the "Service Engine Soon" light to illuminate. Increased air flow to the engine allows it operate properly reducing fuel consumption and reducing emissions.
3. Prolongs engine life:

Changing the air filter regularly helps prolong engine life because the air filter is designed to trap damaging dirt and debris that can damage internal engine parts such as the cylinders and pistons. Engine damage can occur from particles as small as a grain of salt and result in costly repairs.
4. Inexpensive and quick fix:
An air filter is one of the least expensive maintenance components to replace and can be done by doing it yourself. It is important to make certain the replacement air filter is designed for your exact make and model of car. On newer, fuel-injected cars, the air filter is usually located near the top front or side of the engine by the throttle body. The air filter is rectangular in shape and enclosed in a rectangular, black plastic housing that will normally have clips or screws keeping it closed. On older, carburated cars, the air filter is round and located in a round metal housing above the carburator that is secured by a wing nut.
5. Easy to track
Air filters should be changed every 12,000 to 15,000 miles or so, more often in dusty driving conditions. The owner's manual maintenance schedule will indicate how often the air filter should be replaced. A dirty air filter might appear clean but should still be replaced at the recommended intervals.
A new air filter will increase gas mileage, reduce emissions, allow optimal air flow and improve engine performance. In addition, changing your air filter regularly will protect the engine and vital internal engine parts from excess wear and damage that result in driveability issues and potentially expensive engine repairs.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 PM

Sorry Chris, you're simply quoting an urban legend.

If you care to educate yourself, read this:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Long story short, the stuff you quoted above was true back in the days of carbureted engines; in this day and age of modern fuel injection what you wrote no longer holds true. You don't have to like it and you don't have to believe me, but the Oak Ridge National Laboratory carries a heck of a lot of weight.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry Shipo, I think your talking SH*T.

A clean filter allows more air thru than a old dirty filter.

Quick Reply: Dealer maintenace