Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX5 Turbo gets a Borla AxleBack - Compared to RB

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 07:57 AM
Default CX5 Turbo gets a Borla AxleBack - Compared to RB

Some insight if anyone is interested in 2 out of the 3 axlebacks for the CX5

If the OEM exhaust is 0, The RB on the turbo is OEM .5
And there were a few, I was one of them that got a little frequency tone around 1500 rpm on the RB. It wasn't bad but I noticed it. Otherwise it was pretty much dead quiet unless you really got on it. Like over 4-4.5k.

I had a Borla Touring on my 08 Subaru Legacy GT and I loved it because it was subtle but noticeable.

If the RB on the turbo is OEM.5 the Borla is OEM 1.5. I can't speak on the Corksport but from what i've gleaned its louder than that.

The Borla is mellow but noticeable in acceleration from a stop, but if your easy on it, it's slightly audible in the cabin, unless you step on it. At 40 mph, once the rpm drop, it's quiet. 60 and cruising , nice and mellow 70 & 80 nice and mellow. It's there but not obtrusive at all. I hear it most cruising at 50-55 but again, not obnoxious. If you've got the radio on 10-15 or your talking, or even if you have the A/C on, you'd forget it's there, unless you step on it, even a little and you know its there. I'll put it this way, I didn't tell my wife I put it on and she hasn't said anything to me lol.

The only thing i'd say is loud is the cold start. I'd gather its twice as loud as stock. Idle is elevated but you won't hear it unless your standing in the back.

I've only put about 200 miles on it but so far I really like the tone. It's also way lighter than the stock setup and noticeably lighter than the RB.
No Drone whatsoever (6 speed helps with that) and the back pressure is almost identical to the oem setup.

I'd take some vids but you guys know that they don't really do it justice.

I can say that if you are looking for something you def. can hear but isn't loud at all and not as deep as the Corksport but mellow and a full level above stock and the RB, this is the best option.

Only complaint so far is I wish the tips came out as far as the RB did. These are about where the stock tips were and because I painted the tips black, they look further under. It's not bad, but I wish it was an inch further out. I contacted Borla and they told me the exhaust was built for the NA CX5 and the OEM mufflers on the NA and turbo are different which is why the tips are more recessed. Not sure about that explanation but it doesn't bother me too much.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:15 AM

Is your system the Touring or Sport version? Why did you choose the version you have? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:33 AM

It's the Touring version. I figured the S-Type would be too loud for me. I wanted something that i could hear but had more of mellow and deeper sound. I could have went Corksport but I've heard that the sound is very deep and pretty noticeable in the cabin under all types of acceleration. Being that it's the turbo and already a little quieter than the NA, I figured it was a good option to try.

I just wanted to hear the car a bit more and didn't (at least right now) want to mess with an intake and warranties blah blah blah. I figured the Axleback was harmless.

Old 08-12-2023, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by climbinglife
I figured the Axleback was harmless.
I doubt your wallet agrees

Old 08-12-2023, 02:22 PM

Borla does not make any power and may be shown to reduce your baseline power.
Racing Beat at least was DYNO tested and they did some research before offering to the retail market.

Both mufflers will take from 1000-300 miles to break in before any comparative or testing on a DYNO can be accurately done. Also, the sound WILL change (increase) after the mufflers have broken in.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Borla does not make any power and may be shown to reduce your baseline power.
Racing Beat at least was DYNO tested and they did some research before offering to the retail market.

Both mufflers will take from 1000-300 miles to break in before any comparative or testing on a DYNO can be accurately done. Also, the sound WILL change (increase) after the mufflers have broken in.
Uh huh.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I doubt your wallet agrees
Lol, thats fair

Old 08-13-2023, 09:02 AM

I went with OBX . out of all the current contenders (Racing Beat, CorkSport, OBX) only OBX was the only one that bumped the needle repeatedly (so to say) on the *DYNO enough that it it placed 1st. When I say "bump" that all it did. When I do DYNO testing for parts I run a base line and then set the program up to repeat the DELTA so that all subsequent DYNO test is done under the same in all cases, temperatures and conditions. OBX was also the loudness followed by BORLA and then Racing Beat. I found a manufacturing defect in one of the brands (not *OBX) they did not consider during their designing. I tried to explain it to them but was pretty much ignored. Not the first time that's happened to me in the last couple of decades. I guess when you get older and don't attend as many SEMA shows you get slowly forgotten in the industry. In the end I will design my own system which actually I started about a year ago that will compliment any Mazda 2.5 N/A or Turbo engine. But it won't be offered as a retail part. To late in the game and to many others already on the market and these 3 are the only one's worth mentioning.

*OBX is known in aftermarket performance industry as coping or cloning existing system already on the market. There material and manufacturing at times is better than the companies they duplicate. Most all OBX systems ar not power tested but only checked for fitment. They are generally also one of the most affordable systems on the market as well.
Racing beat is a well established performance parts company and most all of their products are developed inhouse and tested .
CorkSport is a fairly new company coming up in the world of aftermarket parts for Mazda..

Old 08-13-2023, 04:01 PM

Out of curiosity, where do you buy this "OBX" cat-back system? If I search for it on Google, I get links to EBay, but they are not actual OBX systems for a Mazda CX-5. You said they were copies of other products, but do they have an online storefront from which to buy? Is it an entire system as offered by RB or CS?

Old 08-13-2023, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Out of curiosity, where do you buy this "OBX" cat-back system? If I search for it on Google, I get links to EBay, but they are not actual OBX systems for a Mazda CX-5. You said they were copies of other products, but do they have an online storefront from which to buy? Is it an entire system as offered by RB or CS?
Chick I am surprised you are interested! NIce!
I never said that it was for or that they have a listed system for a CX-5. However, I will suggest contacting them direct and not go by Ebay listing for their most current application information.
I am no loner dealer for OBX .Nor am for racing beat or CorkSport. OBX does have many listings on ebay and a few other internet parts suppliers. They are located in Northern CA very close to where MYTH BUSTER was located and use to do their filming.
The testing I specifically did for this response was on my Mazda. It is general information but how I tested would also have the same results with any Skyactiv 2.5 engine N/A or Turbocharged manufactured from 2014 to present.
It is not the first time I have tested and compared these rear systems for various platforms.
I do run or have used OBX parts and systems on several of my personal vehicles one of which is a very small 1.6 factory base engine that I have well over 400+WHP. and using an OBX headder.
If you or anyone contacts OBX direct you will find very good customer service. They will answer questions and stand behind the quality of their products. However depending on whom answers the call you need to be patient, not all of them speak exceptionally clear English.
I believe if you look I purchased a couple years ago a complete CAT back OBX system for the Mazda but decided to modify it a little more than the kit. There really is almost no performance part offered by any manufacture that I can't improve on. But then that's what I have done I suppose since I started to modify vehicles I owned from High School. lol

I was not trying to solicit OBX but rather wanted to point out aspects of those 3 specifically that are often over looked unless you know some things about how to do the best testing for any muffler or exhaust system aftermarket, maybe stock. IDK because I really don't do stock exhaust part testing. Although I would like to do a real world comparison of a Skyactivc snail exhaust manifold and a headder replacement and see if it is not really all smoke and mirrors design to lower emission and not really produce solid power numbers from the engine? Will see as soon as CorkSport will get around to offering the hedder they have been developing for the last several years?

I do want to be clear for climbinglife for his thread and choice of rear mufflers that like most it goes by more personal preference in the sound quality they like and the asymmetry of looks more than actual if any true performance gains. IMHO everyone has their own ear to what sound good and what they like for looks!

I should also apologize about stating giving the impression that OBX copies or clones all their parts. They don't! However, I have notice over the years that some of thier better systems seem to be very similar to others having them on the market before them? Maybe just a coincidence?

OBX Racing Sports
  1. OBX Racing Sports · Phone
    6195 Coliseum Way, Oakland, CA 94621
    (510) 568-2244
Product Name - OBX Racing Sports

Quick Reply: CX5 Turbo gets a Borla AxleBack - Compared to RB