Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX5 Strut Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 12:19 PM
Default CX5 Strut Tower Brace

Are strut tower bar/braces worth the cost? Other than looking cool, will it actually do anything to enhance normal street driving? It seems the struts are already well braced by the ridged tower body construction.
Would appreciate opinions from anyone with experience or knowledge about strut brace.
Thank You
https://www.aleksracing.com/strut-ba...21-ur-tw2-3953

Old 05-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Wink I'm curious

Originally Posted by george m44
Are strut tower bar/braces worth the cost? Other than looking cool, will it actually do anything to enhance normal street driving? It seems the struts are already well braced by the ridged tower body construction.
Would appreciate opinions from anyone with experience or knowledge about strut brace.
Thank You
https://www.aleksracing.com/strut-ba...21-ur-tw2-3953
I would be interested in finding out if it would help also . You ought to get one and report back. Seams logical that anything to prevent chassis/body flexing will improve handling . Mine is strictly a grocery getter and basic transportation vehicle ,so I doubt I will be doing any modifications ,but it would be nice to know. IMHO the only practical improvements that the CX5 needs is bigger better brakes , better tires, and better front seats .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-09-2023 at 01:29 PM. Reason: ok
Old 05-09-2023, 01:22 PM

Seams logical that anything to prevent chassis/body flexing will improve handling.

In theory sure, and for a track vehicle with plenty of roll stiffness and sticky tires the driver would most likely feel the difference. But for an SUV driven on public roads with traffic, the picture changes. While an aggressive driver might notice a difference on occasion, I doubt that the average driver would. I once removed the bar for a few days on my 350Z and didn’t see a difference in normal driving. YMMV.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:41 PM
Default incessant noise when pushing the CX5

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
In theory sure, and for a track vehicle with plenty of roll stiffness and sticky tires the driver would most likely feel the difference. But for an SUV driven on public roads with traffic, the picture changes. While an aggressive driver might notice a difference on occasion, I doubt that the average driver would. I once removed the bar for a few days on my 350Z and didn’t see a difference in normal driving. YMMV.
Agreed .

Old 05-09-2023, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
Agreed .
It makes a big difference on my MX5, but that is a light weight convertible and those tend to have a lot more body flex and an SUV or crossover.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:06 PM

Strut tower braces only work if they are solid strut bar and not having any adjustable or lose style fasteners. Also the most all will only partially work as suggested because they are only mounted in on the top of the strut tower. This only helps prevent one time of flexing but unless you have a 4 point or more strut tower brace you may not even feel the improvement unless you have a gauge that can measure G forces.

What may you feel if you get a solid strut bar is improved steering in most turns?

Pictured below is a SOLID STRUT BAR for a Mazda

Example of a poorly designed and NOT FUNCTIONAL strut bar.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-09-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:26 PM
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Callisto
Strut tower braces only work if they are solid strut bar and not having any adjustable or lose style fasteners. Also the most all will only partially work as suggested because they are only mounted in on the top of the strut tower. This only helps prevent one time of flexing but unless you have a 4 point or more strut tower brace you may not even feel the improvement unless you have a gauge that can measure G forces.

What may you feel if you get a solid strut bar is improved steering in most turns?

Pictured below is a SOLID STRUT BAR for a Mazda

Example of a poorly designed and NOT FUNCTIONAL strut bar.

Solid ,upper and lower, front and back ,and maybe center. Where ever the chassis is flexing. But look at that open air filter sucking in all that under hood heat . So he has less power with better handling. LMAO .Been there done that way back in 1968 with a strut bar on my 1965 Falcon sprint .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-09-2023 at 02:29 PM. Reason: ok
Old 05-09-2023, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
Solid ,upper and lower, front and back ,and maybe center. Where ever the chassis is flexing. But look at that open air filter sucking in all that under hood heat . So he has less power with better handling. LMAO .Been there done that way back in 1968 with a strut bar on my 1965 Falcon sprint .
Um I am not sure where you are going with that. Strut tower braces do one main job and secondary is to strengthen the tower itself. If the plate welded to the horizontal bar is welded. Strut bar need to be attacked at a minimum 4 separate points to be truly effective Those other chassis and suspension parts all have different braces to reduce flexing and twisting but most all fail because they must be added in addition or with at least 6 point cage. Not the same as strut towers.

I have already stated many times that my air filter system is for looks and sound.
I have also suggested that this type does in fact make the intake air charge higher temperatures then a factory air box.
Lastly I have said a few times that I use Versa Tunner and have my own personal calibration files I use uploaded in the ECU. Part of that ECU calibrations compensates for the warmer IAT using that air filter system pictured.
BTW the Nitrous does not work well with the stock air box and until I removed it the engine would go into limp mode when I use it..
And if you followed my thread perhaps you may have seen a project (all but a few parts which I will not post what and how they work) of a well thought our and engineered true cooler intake filter system for my Mazda that is waiting to be installed when I finish my new hood modifications.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-09-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:04 AM

I love my CX-5, but I certainly agree that the front seats are uncomfortable! Too stiff, too hard on the butt, and not soft enough. I've been using
one of these one of these
for the past two years--overpriced and better than nothing IMHO but far from a great solution.

Has anyone found an easy answer for upgrading the front seats, something other than custom upholstery which seems to me to be like rolling the dice?

Thanks,

MiltB

Old 05-10-2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
I love my CX-5, but I certainly agree that the front seats are uncomfortable! Too stiff, too hard on the butt, and not soft enough. I've been using one of these for the past two years--overpriced and better than nothing IMHO but far from a great solution.

Has anyone found an easy answer for upgrading the front seats, something other than custom upholstery which seems to me to be like rolling the dice?

Thanks,

MiltB
Thread topic is STRUIT TOWER BRACES.... LOL a long off topic about seats. There is actually a couple of threads that talk about seat and comfort and what some members did. You may want to look at those.

I do not believe that seat would effect the handling in anyway of a vehicle? LOL

Quick Reply: CX5 Strut Tower Brace