Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX 5 Touring Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Default CX 5 Touring Vibration

Hi! I’ve had my gorgeous 2017 Touring for about 4 months now. I love it to bits except when I’m doing around 105 - 120km/h there is a vibration all through the car. The steering wheel is not shaking as such, it’s just a feeling throughout the car. The research I’ve done shows the same issue for older models but not much with the 2017 model. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Mazda here are refusing to road test my car because the limit here is 100km/h so each time I’ve taken it back they just give me a wheel balance and send me on my way.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM
Arrow Me too!

Hey Melanie!

I just purchased a brand new 2018 Mazda CX-5 and my seat has been vibrating at higher speeds (60-80 mph) since I drove it off the lot. I don't recall any of the cars I tested doing this, but I also didn't drive them on the highway for extended periods of time (which is my morning commute).

I took it in to the dealer to be fixed. They confirmed my complaint, balanced the back tires and put weights on them. The problem wasn't solved. In fact, it was worse. The steering wheel started vibrating and felt like it was pulling to the left a bit.

I took it back in yesterday to be fixed. They confirmed my complaint and road force balanced the tires. The car felt smoother at lower speeds, but it's still exhibiting the issue around 70-75 mph. Now the vibration comes and goes kind of. It gets better and you're like YAY! and then it comes back and you're like oh yeah...this isn't fixed.

Not sure what to do or what my path forward is.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by kgatto
Hey Melanie!

I just purchased a brand new 2018 Mazda CX-5 and my seat has been vibrating at higher speeds (60-80 mph) since I drove it off the lot. I don't recall any of the cars I tested doing this, but I also didn't drive them on the highway for extended periods of time (which is my morning commute).

I took it in to the dealer to be fixed. They confirmed my complaint, balanced the back tires and put weights on them. The problem wasn't solved. In fact, it was worse. The steering wheel started vibrating and felt like it was pulling to the left a bit.

I took it back in yesterday to be fixed. They confirmed my complaint and road force balanced the tires. The car felt smoother at lower speeds, but it's still exhibiting the issue around 70-75 mph. Now the vibration comes and goes kind of. It gets better and you're like YAY! and then it comes back and you're like oh yeah...this isn't fixed.

Not sure what to do or what my path forward is.
Did they also check the wheel alignment? For a brand-new car, sometimes they say to wait for the first 1000 miles or so for things to "settle in" but after that, if the problem persists I would follow up with the dealer.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 PM

mazda_nc_dude -yes. They checked alignment. It didn't have an alignment issue until they put weights on the back tires. It started pulling to the left. Yesterday they said they checked alignment and it was a little out so they fixed it .But it's still vibrating at 70 mph .comes and goes now. I'm using cruise control and not really changing speed either.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:22 PM

mazda_nc_dude -yes. They checked alignment. It didn't have an alignment issue until they put weights on the back tires. It started pulling to the left. Yesterday they said they checked alignment and it was a little out so they fixed it .But it's still vibrating at 70 mph .comes and goes now. I'm using cruise control and not really changing speed either.
Is this with the 19-inch wheels? Wondering if it is a defective/out-of-shape wheel or tire. Anyway, if you are not completely satisfied, definitely take it back to the dealer. As times goes on they will tell you it is normal wear. Since it is brand-new right now, there is more likelihood that they will fix it or replace any defective tire/wheel.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 PM

While my Mazda is fine, I had this problem on a 1969 Opel Rallye for about 18 months. I finally fixed it by replacing the OEM chrome wheels with a set of wheels I bought while stationed in Germany. The thing was rock solid after that.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:25 AM

I do have the 19 inch rims. While im no car expert, i do know when the dealer is just feeding me some lines to hope that it pacifies me. The good news is that the dealer has confirmed that they felt the vibration both times. So at least the dealer isn't saying I'm crazy. I finally called Mazda USA to file a formal complaint because the dealer hasn't brought up the possibility of the rims or tires being defective. They've also "fixed" it twice and its still not right. I think they should have troubleshooted the rims by now. I'm taking the car in today and they're going to keep it for a couple days. Mazda has asked that the dealer call them directly to troubleshoot. We'll see how this goes!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Keep us informed, I had a 2010 Subaru Outback, they were notoriously alignment finicky, the term "shaker" was applied to many of them. My 2016 CX-5 has the 19" wheels with no problem.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:54 AM

I do have the 19 inch rims. While im no car expert, i do know when the dealer is just feeding me some lines to hope that it pacifies me. The good news is that the dealer has confirmed that they felt the vibration both times. So at least the dealer isn't saying I'm crazy. I finally called Mazda USA to file a formal complaint because the dealer hasn't brought up the possibility of the rims or tires being defective. They've also "fixed" it twice and its still not right. I think they should have troubleshooted the rims by now. I'm taking the car in today and they're going to keep it for a couple days. Mazda has asked that the dealer call them directly to troubleshoot. We'll see how this goes!
I have a 2018 CX-5 and it is doing exactly the same thing with the vibration at 105-120kmh and also drifting slightly to the right. I am now on my third visit to Mazda UAE and they keep giving me the alignment/balancing excuse. Let me know how you got on with the tyres/rims as I have a feeling mine may be the same problem. They have told me that they are switching the tyres to see if that solves the problem.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Same thing is happening to me. They switched the tires to yokohamas. Except...the dealer gouged and damaged ALL 4 rims. I am less than thrilled. Going back now actually so they can look at the rims because they "have to see them". I called Mazda USA and they said the dealer can either replace the rims or refinish them. I haven't even had the car 30 days and I will not accept refinished rims.

We​​​​​We are now at the point where I'm getting told that it's just characteristics of the car. I did drive my car yesterday with the new tires but the issue still isn't 100% gone. I have a feeling I won't be able to claim lemon law since they're now telling me there's nothing wrong. However it's still vibrating and they've confirmed that the issue was present twoce before. I'm not sure how they can say it's not there. I tried taking the dealer for a ride but of course I wasn't able to get the car up to speed long enough to demonstrate the issue.

I​​​​​​I have driven 2 loaner cars through this process. One was brand new with 200 miles on it. It did the same vibration. I had an early 2017 recently that hardly did it. I honestly think it's poor design.

I am noticing that my car feels like it's fighting itself to stay straight sometimes. Around 75 mph. Anyone else feel that? Almost like the car is rocking ever so slightly to the left and right .

Quick Reply: CX 5 Touring Vibration