Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 terrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by aremzi
I have a CX5 and have been really disappointed with the cars performance in the snow. In the smallest amount of snow I can not get the car to stop sliding. I have turned the TSC off but it makes on difference. If I am on a slight slope the car just carries on going. I was also hoping it could be the tyres, rather than the performance of the car. I have telephoned our mazda dealer but they can't offer any help. Does anyone have any answers?
that sounds mostly like the tires traction, unless the anti-lock brakes aren't working right

Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Banned

I have a CX5 and have been really disappointed with the cars performance in the snow. In the smallest amount of snow I can not get the car to stop sliding. I have turned the TSC off but it makes on difference. If I am on a slight slope the car just carries on going. I was also hoping it could be the tyres, rather than the performance of the car. I have telephoned our mazda dealer but they can't offer any help. Does anyone have any answers?
Turning off TCS (Traction Control Sensor) is a no-no in the winter, it must be left on.
Many times when we are driving in winter the engine is very cold and takes longer to heat up. as a result it idles faster. When approaching a slippery intersection where you must stop, do the following: pick a different groove, one where no was has driven over, as when they keep driving over a spot it gets icy. I usually pick closer to the curb where there is actually snow only. You can stop easier there than on ice. I also put the car in Neutral for the last 5-10 mph or just before stopping. Because your engine is till pushing the wheels which is not a good thing when trying to stop on ice.
Like i've also said before, if it doesn't have a snowflake symbol on the tire, it's a 3 season tire, not really good for winter. Most All Season Tires are 3 season tires. Wider tires also suck in winter. If you go to winter tires, go a little narrower. You may consider Hankook's All Weather Tire next set (Optimo 4S), see the video.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 02-03-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling, dam it, dammit, damn it, dammit ?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:45 AM

About a month ago, I drove to Montreal from Ontario. When I left, it was 3 celcius. I was hoping not to have to get winter tires because I had less than 10000 kms on my stock tires. I was in for a surprise when I reached the Quebec border and drove into an icy snow storm. Cx5 had to work very hard to keep me straight. Because it was very late at night there was not much traffic. However, snow tires are provincial law in Quebec. Guys were passing me all over. I felt inferior to say the least. I purchases winter tires and rims as soon as I got back to Ontario. What a difference. Now I am the superior one lol

To answer the question? Snow tires. Get,em.

Stock Yokos and Tojo are no good for snow period.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Are you driving a FWD version or the AWD? I drove mine (AWD grand touring) in a few snow storms so far and it handled it well. Not as well as a heavier vehicle (I have an AWD Toyota Sienna that was a tank), but still pretty decent.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Default Great

I Ran 17 inch snow tires and not the all season tires that came with my GT, it was great in the snow.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Banned
Thumbs down

What tires are on it. Make, model of tire? Does it have a snowflake symbol on it? Read my previous post #7. Can you take some pics of the tire.

Attached Thumbnails CX-5 terrible in snow-wintertire2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Default Follow up to original post

Not quite finished with winter in northern Wisconsin, and my opinion of the CX-5 hasn't changed. This car has to be one of the worst vehicles I have driven during the winter, and that goes back to rear wheel drive cars. At speeds over 20 mph, the CX-5 is highly unpredictable, and downright unacceptable in it's inability to hold the road on gentle curves. In my original post that started this thread, I wondered if my CX-5 Touring had the DSC (electronic stability control) system. I have since been told that all models have the system installed. Well, then my doesn't work at all. Since it cannot be overridden, it must not be working, period. My 07 Tundra had Toyota's technology of stability control, and in two-wheel drive, it was darn near impossible to intentionally cause the truck to lose control. You could also always tell when the system was working by the feel of the truck and strange sounding noises coming from the engine area, and if it ever did lose grip, an audible warning emitted from the dash.

Like a dumby, I am finally taking it in to the local dealer (65 miles away) to diagnose the problem.

Any other experiences would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 PM

i never had any problems with the handling this winter, it was always sure footed, i would think the fact that it doesn't make noises like your tundra is a testament to the improvement in the technology, my passat didn't make any noises either when traction control was kicking in...

Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Default snow driving

i live in utah, we get pretty good snow. this winter i drove my cx 5 in several storms it performed quite well. as an earlier poster said not as well as a heavy car but it did very good. are you sure your's is awd and not just fwd? and is your awd actually turned on?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Cool

Sounds like people either doesn't know how to drive in the snow, or are driving on summer tires (stock tires are summer tires) in major snow. More than happy to bitch about the cars, but don't mention tires at all..

You can put basic snow tires on a Porsche and drive it daily in the snow.

If you live in a place where it snows regularly and you drive with these stock tires in the winter, you deserve what you get.

Cars aren't appliances. They require proper maintenance and seasonal preparation.

Quick Reply: CX-5 terrible in snow