Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory vs dealer hitch wire harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Default Factory vs dealer hitch wire harness

My dealer told me not to order my new CX-5 Touring with the towing package, because it's cheaper to buy a hitch and harness kit and install it myself. After looking at harness installation instructions on a few hitch websites, it looks like a real pain in the butt, and I am hesitant about using splices to tie into existing taillight wires. So, the question is, if I order the towing package from the factory, will the wire harness be connected to the vehicle wiring using one of those nice T-connectors like they have on trucks? You know, the ones where if you have to replace your hitch wire harness do to damage, you just lay under the back of the vehicle and disconnect the damaged one and connect the new one? This way no wire splicing involved, meaning no shorts, corroded splice connections, etc.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:30 PM

I installed an aftermarket hitch and wiring harness and it took about 3 hours for the entire installation start to finish and taking my time. You have to run power directly from the battery in the engine bay and I was extra careful in where I ran the wire along the undercarriage. All the electrical tie-ins plug directly into the OEM harness. Look at the videos (etrailer) to get an idea if this is something you wanna try. They make it look easier that it really is since they have the experience and lifts. If I had to do it again, I could knock 30-40 mins off my time.