Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Rolling in Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MTL MX5
Today, my daughter parked her 2018 CX-5 GT with 32,000 km on my very slightly inclined driveway, put it into Park, turned off the engine and got out to get her toddler out of the back seat. I was 10 feet away watching. Before she got her door closed, the car started rolling backward. It stopped in a few feet when it hit a snow berm but those few seconds were pretty scary. The first thing she did was check the shifter and confirm that it was, indeed, in Park. No, she did not engage the parking brake. This is a pretty serious occurrence. The potential for serious injury or death is real. I know many people who do not use the electronic parking brake with an automatic transmission. Not wise, but it's very common, especially with drivers who have never driven a manual transmission.

I've searched for any hint of a recall without success. But I did come up with a couple of other reports of the same thing happening.

Has anyone on this forum experienced the their CX-5 rolling while in Park?
did you take your car to the dealership to get it check/fixed? I encountered the same problem and don’t know what to do. My car rolled to the front while in park (transmission was in park, not e-brake), and bumped into the truck that was in front of me, damaging the bumper. I also have a CX-5 GT 2018. I’m wondering if the warranty would cover the damages.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:23 PM

Very scary indeed. The 20-22 Frontiers have this issue popping up. A defect in the parking paul is to blame. They have no fix yet, just recommend using the parking brake for now. I wonder if the CX5 has the same issue?

Old 07-07-2022, 08:23 PM

The "E" brake stands for emergency brake, if it were a parking brake, it would a "P" break.
It is a good idea to use for safety reasons in certain situations (steep hill parking, launching a boat, etc.)
If it's needed to keep the vehicle from moving in park, then there is something mechanically wrong with vehicle.

Last edited by Lobstah; 07-08-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

EPB = Electric Park Brake.

Every time you park your vehicle you should always apply the park brake.

I thought this was common sense and standard practice. Something taught when learning to drive.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:45 AM

Maybe so in your country but in mine.
The EPB wasn't even in a consumer vehicle (BMW) until 2001 and I was 48 years old.
I learned to drive "analog" vehicles with only an AM radio, if you were lucky.
Back then the "E" brake was an emergency brake and used frequently because many of us drove standard transmissions at the time.
If you were lucky to have an automatic, you rarely if ever used the emergency brake.
The one time you did use it was during your driving test when you had to park and take off on a steep hill.
When I finally did get to use an automatic when you put it in park, it wasn't moving anywhere.
Unless you hit park at 40 mph or so

Last edited by Lobstah; 07-08-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Maybe so in your country but in mine.
The EPB wasn't even in a consumer vehicle (BMW) until 2001 and I was 48 years old.
I learned to drive "analog" vehicles with only an AM radio, if you were lucky.
Back then the "E" brake was an emergency brake and used frequently because many of us drove standard transmissions at the time.
If you were lucky to have an automatic, you rarely if ever used the emergency brake.
The one time you did use it was during your driving test when you had to park and take off on a steep hill.
When I finally did get to use an automatic when you put it in park, it wasn't moving anywhere.
Unless you hit park at 40 mph or so
I believe what grim said is certainly true in all countries. E-brake = parking brake. It won't stop the car in an emergency. Its purpose is to provide extra security when parking to prevent the car rolling away. I agree with you about using it to help on hills with a manual transmission, but this isn't it's intended purpose.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:05 AM

Using it as a parking brake is a "safety precaution" should your transmission's parking pawl fail.
It doesn't matter what you call it, emergency brake/parking brake/EPB it's a secondary system designed to stop a vehicle should the main brake system fail.
No, it will not stop quickly but it will stop. Granted, catastrophic brake failures are not common as we now have multiple electronic warning features to alert us before a brake failure, if we pay attention to them.
But they do happen and the "secondary brake system" can be a life saver.

Last edited by Lobstah; 07-09-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:39 AM

First- lets call it by the correct term - This is from the owners manual:

Electric Parking Brake (EPB)

The EPB equipment applies the parking brake using an electric motor. When the parking brake is applied, the EPB switch indicator light turns on.

Second - also from the owners manual -

Do not drive the vehicle with the parking brake applied:

If the vehicle is driven with the parking brake applied, the brake parts may generate heat and the brake system may not operate, leading to an accident.

Before driving, release the parking brake and verify that the EPB indicator light is turned off.

It seems pretty clear there is no mention of using the EPB to stop the car in an emergency. You would be better off putting the car into park if such a thing happened.

As a real world example I had a 2016 Acura RDX prior to my 19 CX-5. It had a foot applied parking brake. I parked the car one evening and met my wife for dinner. She had driven separately and we swapped cars to drive home. She had no idea I had set the parking brake(she rarely if ever sets the parking brake when she drives) and there was an issue with the warning system we were unaware of as the car was only a couple of weeks old. She drove home without releasing the parking brake was set. She mentioned she heard some strange noises on the way home, but the car had no issue leaving the parking spot and driving on an interstate. When we realized what had happened we took it to the dealer who at first didn't understand how we did it, but then found a connector for the warning system had not been attached properly at the factory (our car would not show any warnings when the car was moved with the parking brake on). They had to replace the entire parking brake system and reconnect the wiring. The electronic version of a parking brake isn't any different in how it works from the old school hand or foot parking brake.

Kind of like power windows vs manual.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:45 AM

You aren't supposed to drive with any emergency/parking brake system engaged be it cable or electronic.
Depending on the system, the efficiency and accuracy of the EPB is generally better than the conventional emergency brake system.
The electric park brake performs optimally on both front and rear wheels. The electronic parking brake incorporates an electronic system that makes your car come to a stop when you pull the EPB button. With EPB systems, if you experience a problem with the foot brake system while driving your car, you can pull up the electronic parking brake switch continuously. This will apply the brakes and slow down your vehicle or even stop it if you wish to. I'm not certain why this wouldn't apply to Mazda vehicles, but you could well be correct. It's not something I've ever attempted as it is only for emergency use and can damage components.

Last edited by Lobstah; 07-09-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
You aren't supposed to drive with any emergency/parking brake system engaged be it cable or electronic.
Depending on the system, the efficiency and accuracy of the EPB is generally better than the conventional emergency brake system.
The electric park brake performs optimally on both front and rear wheels. The electronic parking brake incorporates an electronic system that makes your car come to a stop when you pull the EPB button. With EPB systems, if you experience a problem with the foot brake system while driving your car, you can pull up the electronic parking brake switch continuously. This will apply the brakes and slow down your vehicle or even stop it if you wish to. I'm not certain why this wouldn't apply to Mazda vehicles, but you could well be correct. It's not something I've ever attempted as it is only for emergency use and can damage components.
The only time I ever had to use an emergency brake was back around 1973 when the brakes failed in my 1969 MG MIdget (and we thought MG's never had mechanical problems ). It worked, not well, but it worked. That was back in the old days with the drum rear brakes if I recall correctly, but it made me forever appreciate the brake lever setup over the foot pedal emergency brake setup. I've never had or tried to use an electronic parking brake as an emergency brake, but I doubt that it would work as well as there is no ability to modulate it.

Quick Reply: CX-5 Rolling in Park