Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Performance Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 03:57 PM
Default visual

totally following this thread.....there's got to be some more mods/ add-on's. i mean, even for the interior....like where's the real cup holders back there?!! :P

i've seen some clip-on chrome details that can make it look sharper...a few snow bumpers but only in advertisements

i wouldn't mind seeing a thread with different pictures of what has been done.

for example, full on camping outfitter for (limited) trailing to a sleek city bullet that floats through traffic like a shadow....

there's soo many of them now, I need to do something aesthtically so I grab the right handle in the parking lot (insert bad wife joke here)

I am planning on doing a satin black wrap to get theat unique

if I do any mod's, I will be sure to post them if only just to share

Old 07-31-2022, 11:51 AM

there's got to be some more mods/ add-on's. i mean, even for the interior....like where's the real cup holders back there…

Note that the title of this thread is Performance Mods.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frouren84
Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of performance mods that you can do to the CX-5. A cold air intake and a nice sounding exhaust are about all you can really do. There may be some other small modifications that you can do, but nothing that will really improve performance significantly.
This is so inaccurate, but common on forums about engine.
You can do plenty what I think this kind of response is for those that are looking for the simple bolt of wonder parts?
Please note my signature and what my current WHP and not even using a Turbo or super charger is. LOL

As I said there is plenty that can be done it is all a matter of your time and your money.!!

Old 08-01-2022, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
There are no true cold air intakes for the 2.5 N/A. But CAI offered all sound great.
Realistically speaking there is very little a DIY or most don't want to budget for.
The exhaust system offered as far as I have seen are like the CAI they all sound great but you would be hard pressed to get the needle to show an improvement on a properly set up Dyno test. Unfortunately no one really did their home work to find out what may actually work and IMHO assembled available exhaust component's and called it their Performance systems.

Things that may improve your performance output slightly better are running a .042 gap on your spark plugs. Running only 91+ octane fuel. Heat cover/Lining you factory air box to keep the IAT as cool as possible. The best is no more then +10f-15F above the ambient.
All that may get you whe factory claims the power rating is.

Now if you want to spend some money and go higher then the factory power there are a few things you can consider?
================================================== ===
So, Callisto, this 'Dad' car should have been bought with the factory Turbo (assuming they offered it for the 2019 model?). And I don't know whether turbo was offered or not. Is there still an option for the Gentleman to install an after-market turbo? Or purchase and install the factory turbo that was not installed in the first place? I assume there would be other tuning tweaks to go along with any turbo installation? Best! Reuben

Old 08-01-2022, 11:36 AM

As far as I am aware of the only DIY "complete" Turbo add to N/A is from Corksport. It needs nothing more to make it work a COMPLETE Turbo system. But you would need to check with them for applications.
Also, currently it appears that they only have it listed for manual transmission model's not the automatic suggesting that their market was focused on owners with manual transmission and doing extra TCM/ ECU adjusting if needed was not for thier first production kits offered? Not to say as they did that the manual transmissions kit can't work, they just don't know how well the added power will affect the automatic transmission I suppose? On my MAZDA I am already almost the same HP claimed levels but mine is WHP mostly from my head/cam combo and using VersaTuner to adjust the ECU.
Don't get to excited however a true performance head and cam and the versa Tuber, those 3 would run the average "joe" about 4500.00 USD parrs only no labor to install.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Larstpoint
Hey everyone,

Let me start off by saying I get that this is a Dad car essentially and I’ve seen some cosmetic mods I can do to my CX-5 but I was wondering if there’s any type of performance mods you can do to the CX-5. Primarily was looking at some smaller stuff like cold air intake and potentially a nice sounding exhaust or anything else y’all know of being able to do to this vehicle. Through my searching I haven’t been able to find a whole lot of stuff to do to it.

2019 Mazda Touring CX-5 2.5L
One of the best performance mods you can make is the swap out those heavy wheels/tires for something more lite weight. I changed mine out and saved 11lbs a corner and let me tell you, the improvement in 0-60 is real (although I have yet to time it). Don't go much taller/shorter now...just lighter and perhaps a bit wider if you want to improve handling.

For example, I went from 225/55R19 on a 7" rim to 245/45ZR20 on an 8.5" rim on my 2022 CX-5 Turbo. Nearly identical revs per mile.

If you want an intake swap, these folks have them for the non-turbo as well as the turbo: https://corksport.com/mazda-cx5-skya....5-engine.html

Old 08-03-2022, 05:41 PM

Odd I went with a heavier wheel than stock and it made no difference in my 0-60mph or 1/4 times or DYNO results or even on the 200 ft skid pad measuring G force. And I have dozens testing in all category's. Not sure how you accomplished such a notable improvement with 11lbs per wheel?
But hey if you say so for you it must be true!
Now had you said you felt an improvement slightly in the handling I might have at least thought , welll maybe.... .

Old 08-03-2022, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Odd I went with a heavier wheel than stock and it made no difference in my 0-60mph or 1/4 times or DYNO results or even on the 200 ft skid pad measuring G force. And I have dozens testing in all category's. Not sure how you accomplished such a notable improvement with 11lbs per wheel?
But hey if you say so for you it must be true!
Now had you said you felt an improvement slightly in the handling I might have at least thought , welll maybe.... .
You would be the outlier going heavier and not reducing performance.

Please reference the laws of physics and force required to accelerate additional mass. It's one of those pesky "laws" you read about. Good article on some apples to apples testing if you are interested...it's not just weight, but rotational mass. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...really-better/

That said, I agree, it's more about handling than straight line, although both are impacted.

Last edited by darrinps; 08-03-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by darrinps
One of the best performance mods you can make is the swap out those heavy wheels/tires for something more lite weight. I changed mine out and saved 11lbs a corner and let me tell you, the improvement in 0-60 is real (although I have yet to time it). Don't go much taller/shorter now...just lighter and perhaps a bit wider if you want to improve handling.
I wish I could go taller and lighter, but every time I get on the scale, I just get heavier and wider.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:11 AM

I often toyed with the idea of routing the AC to the intake in my 2001 Impreza RS
Never did but I still wonder if that would work...

Subaru RS

Quick Reply: CX-5 Performance Mods?