Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx 5 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by y22c
Well, I went to the dealer yesterday to "start" the process of the oil consumption issue..pay for an oil change, they check the dipstick, you return 1000 miles later, check the dipstick ...etc.

Called Mazda Corporate this AM , explained my problem and the above TSB, the customer care rep put me on hold to look up the TSB, he read it and said that this oil change I have coming up should be free and any make up oil should also be free until Mazda comes up with a solution. He also told me that I should notify the dealer about this TSB as it is less than a month old.

Rep was a good guy

I notified the dealer and after I read the service writer the TSB, too lazy to look it up I guess, he says,, well your check engine light didnt come on and he would have the tech look it up when I come in.

So this is where I stand.....update next week.

Thanks for all the help and m5xguy for posting the TSB.
Very good that you contacted Corporate, and it will also serve to let this stealership know that you're not going to be someone that they can push around and give a line of BS to. And AFA the CEL not being on, Corporate's discussion with you makes it clear IMO that a CEL/code not being set isn't going to be a showstopper in getting action for whatever might be wrong with your vehicle (regardless of what your local outfit tries to tell you), once Mazda figures out what they're going to do about it.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:15 PM

UPDATE....After much discussion with Mazda customer service, I was sent an eGiftCard that basically covered my oil charge that was originally booked to start the oil consumption monitoring process. My car did throw a code P250F. This low oil code must of verified my original concern with the dealer. This oil changed was going to be paid for by me, but Mazda stepped up.

So where do I stand...if my oil light returns, I am to bring my car to a Mazda dealer to have them add a quart per the TSB...even if I am local, I drive 13 miles to the dealer...fail Mazda

If this happens 400 miles from home I am to contact the local Mazda dealer to have him add a quart of oil.....another fail Mazda

If this should happen at night, I get a room and call the Mazda dealer in the morning...major fail Mazda

So now I wait until the oil light comes back on and pray I am home.

Of course I will be checking the oil every couple of hundred miles.

People if your following this thread and your car falls with in the VIN s above, call your dealer/Mazda corporate and start complaining.

...and as the TSB states, there is no current fix.

Thanks to all that helped.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:15 AM

My son's 21 Carbon Edition (Turbo) is also having the same problem . My 2018 Honda Turbo had this problem but that was in cold regions only I never had hte probem in Florida. (Honda extended the engine warranty)
My son's Mazda is in Miami and having this problem. I read the problem is Valve Seals. Hope they have a recall to fix the problem.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:15 AM

How strange for a motor so far into its life cycle to suddenly start having this issue. I was just starting to relax knowing I had a '21 after reading the coolant leak thread and now we have this to worry about BECAUSE I have a '21. Great...

What is really disconcerting is from what the TSB states, Mazda has no idea what it causing the issue so you are basically driving around with a defective motor until they figure it out. How do they know for sure the motor isn't being damaged while this goes on if they don't know the origin of the leak?

Last edited by chickdr19; 12-13-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
... What is really disconcerting is from what the TSB states, Mazda has no idea what it causing the issue so you are basically driving around with a defective motor until they figure it out. ....
Yes, Mazda did say that, but then completely contradicted it with this: "Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber." And that sure sounds like a 'root cause' to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they intended to substitute one of those statements for the other, but then failed to edit out the original. In any case, IMO what they said about the stem seal modification is probably the truth, even if they had ultimately decided to not release that information in the TSB.

... do they know for sure the motor isn't being damaged while this goes on if they don't know the origin of the leak?
Perhaps they don't know that for sure. And an internal oil leak would potentially have consequences beyond the engine, such as trashing the cat. But considering that they currently have no viable alternative to keeping the affected vehicles on the road, it's possible they just put on their best happy face in order to avoid creating panic in the streets.

I can't imagine Mazda doing a mass engine repair/replace recall on all of the affected VINs, but I guess it's possible if the stem seal problem is widespread. So if they don't do a repair recall on yours, then you'll have to just keep checking the oil level regularly forever (which should be done anyway), and hope that Mazda provides extended warranty coverage, so you don't have to worry about this problem kicking in out of warranty, many thousands of miles down the road (assuming you plan on keeping it beyond the normal warranty). This is looking like a really unhappy situation for the owners of these vehicles.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:17 PM

Not sure if everyone is aware of this but certain Mazda and Honda engines have a known issue with low oil light.
It seems the amount of oil per engine varies not only on engine model but individual units as well.
Engine models vary from 4.8 to 5.1 quarts.
My 2020 CX-5 states 4.8 quarts but requires an additional 1/2 quart or the low engine light will come on after about 1000 miles.
I checked with other local owners some are fine with the manufacturer amount and others needed to add oil.
Some less than I did and some more.
I've verified this "phenomena" with several mechanics I know.
I now just add an additional 1/2 quart when I change oil.
I have had no issues since; the oil level remains steady; the engine does not burn or leak oil.

Last edited by Lobstah; 12-13-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:49 PM

Oh, crap. Looks like my VIN might be in the mix. But I never had any oil leaks or low oil light come on. I had my oil changed yesterday by Mazda and the car checked out well. Should I be concerned?

Old 12-14-2021, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
Oh, crap. Looks like my VIN might be in the mix. But I never had any oil leaks or low oil light come on. I had my oil changed yesterday by Mazda and the car checked out well. Should I be concerned?
There's no way to know at this time what the full scope of this issue is, and will be in the future. Also impossible to know which vehicles will experience the problem, unless Mazda sends out additional diagnostic information. Your only course of action right now is to check the oil regularly - every week, or even more frequently if you're putting lots of miles on it.

Given what Mazda said in the TSB, I'd be checking the oil level every 200 miles if I had one of the impacted vehicles. Yes.that's a real PITA, but it's also the only way to catch this problem early, and hopefully minimize the damage. And if the level starts dropping significantly, you should then contact your dealership in order to get the problem registered with them, and get a consumption test going (or whatever action they choose to take). And in case you're not aware, always wait 5 minutes or longer after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level in these vehicles.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:49 PM
Question Oil consupmtion?

We bought a 2020 MAZDA CX-5 & a 2020 MAZDA 3 (daughter) in Nov 2020. I do the oil changes and follow the book. I am very concerned about the loss of oil between changes. These are our first MAZDAs and this should not be happening on new vehicles. A random check on the CX-5 showed a very low reading about half-way through one cycle and the oil light came on with about 6500 miles on a recent cycle. I just did the 3 & my daughter got the oil light at 100 miles. Have you found out anything significant about oil loss in these vehicles. I don't like this. It shouldn't be happening. I never have to look at my 300k mile, 07 Corolla between changes. A 1/2 quart puts the level where it needs to be. I think I want to contact the dealer and make this a matter of record.

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Not sure if everyone is aware of this but certain Mazda and Honda engines have a known issue with low oil light.
It seems the amount of oil per engine varies not only on engine model but individual units as well.
Engine models vary from 4.8 to 5.1 quarts.
My 2020 CX-5 states 4.8 quarts but requires an additional 1/2 quart or the low engine light will come on after about 1000 miles.
I checked with other local owners some are fine with the manufacturer amount and others needed to add oil.
Some less than I did and some more.
I've verified this "phenomena" with several mechanics I know.
I now just add an additional 1/2 quart when I change oil.
I have had no issues since; the oil level remains steady; the engine does not burn or leak oil.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tomasjj
We bought a 2020 MAZDA CX-5 & a 2020 MAZDA 3 (daughter) in Nov 2020. I do the oil changes and follow the book. I am very concerned about the loss of oil between changes. These are our first MAZDAs and this should not be happening on new vehicles. A random check on the CX-5 showed a very low reading about half-way through one cycle and the oil light came on with about 6500 miles on a recent cycle. I just did the 3 & my daughter got the oil light at 100 miles. Have you found out anything significant about oil loss in these vehicles. I don't like this. It shouldn't be happening. I never have to look at my 300k mile, 07 Corolla between changes. A 1/2 quart puts the level where it needs to be. I think I want to contact the dealer and make this a matter of record.
First of all, you need to be aware that this thread is all about a specific oil consumption issue that Mazda has confirmed, which is limited exclusively to 2021 Turbo engines. So you should actually have started a new thread to discuss your problems.

That said, I'll ask which engine your vehicles have, and also (exactly) how much oil you used to refill both of them on your most recent oil changes.

Quick Reply: Cx 5 oil consumption