Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cx 5 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 11:34 AM
Default Cx 5 oil consumption

2021 CX 5 with 4500 miles on the clock

I changed the oil at approx 2500 miles because I was going on a rather long trip and wanted to start with fresh oil.

With approx 1800 miles on the oil change (+/- 100 miles) my low oil light came on and scared the hell out of me.

Well I tossed in another quart and continued on my trip...700 miles later I made it home.

Checked the oil 1/2 quart low.

How "normal" is this?

Engine was cold when I checked it at home...obviously hot when the oi level light came on

Last edited by y22c; 10-27-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:32 PM

Same thing happened to me, 3,140 miles after an oil change. Had to add 1/2 qt, and it took me to the full 5k miles before then next oil change.

I don't have an answer, but I am nervous that my '21 Signature is burning oil at an accelerated rate.

Frank

Old 10-27-2021, 12:32 PM

I have 10k on mine. After my 2nd change... I was passing another car, kinda abruptly... anyway when I got around them and started slowing back down my oil level light came on. I drove approx 2 miles to find a spot to pull over and then the light went off. Anyway I stopped and let it sit about 10 mins and checked my oil. It was ok.. between the two marks on the dip stick. Hasn't done it again. I blame it on my "agressive" passing manuver but if it comes on again its going to the dealer.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by y22c
.... I changed the oil at approx 2500 miles....
How much oil did you put in when you changed it, and is your engine turbo or non-turbo?

Old 10-27-2021, 02:34 PM

If your not leaking oil and if the tail pipe is not very black and semi wet with an oily substance, you are not experience sudden drop in MPG or power then your not likely to be burning oil regardless if you have a turbo or not with those low miles. The oil light in one of the post would not have come on unless you were almost 50% low on oil. That would be over 2 quarts. The dip stick is not the easiest thing to read but if the oil is even at the low hole you would not do any harm to the engine. Aggressive driving and or hard acceleration or high "G" turning should not cause the oil light to come on with most any "STOCK un-modified in anyway MAZDA .

For a NEW MAZDA under 50K miles I would seek out the MAZDA service to have them inspect the concern. Even if nothing is found you will have it on record in case something does happen with the power train.

ASE

Old 10-27-2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
How much oil did you put in when you changed it, and is your engine turbo or non-turbo?
It is a turbo engine and as far as the quantity 5 plus but less than 6 quarts

Just made an appointment at the dealer for an oil change to start the procedure for "oil consumption" monitoring.

They are saying 1/2 qt in a thousand miles is acceptable...which leads me to...why should I ever change the oil if every thousand miles I am adding a half quart, just change the filter at 5K .

Last edited by y22c; 10-28-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:31 PM

Just made an appointment at the dealer for an oil change to start the procedure for "oil consumption" monitoring.

They are saying 1/2 qt in a thousand miles is acceptable...which leads me to...why should I ever change the oil if every thousand miles I am adding a quart, just change the filter at 5K .
I am not questioning there answer but I found nothing that MAZDA suggested that? There is no TSB that I found nor is there anything mentioning that kind of oil consumption on a new engine in the FSM or All-Data???
Grimreaper is a MAZDA Tech maybe he has information that is not necessarily public info he could reply with? As I said to be sure no one misunderstands, I found no factual information to support what you are saying was told to you!

Old 10-27-2021, 04:42 PM

They are saying 1/2 qt in a thousand miles is acceptable...which leads me to...why should I ever change the oil if every thousand miles I am adding a quart, just change the filter at 5K .
Sounds like you put enough oil back in. You might want to see if your VIN is in the range listed in the following TSB and, if it is, mention this to your dealer in case they're not already aware of it.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
Sounds like you put enough oil back in. You might want to see if your VIN is in the range listed in the following TSB and, if it is, mention this to your dealer in case they're not already aware of it.

My VIN is below the posted VIN, I cant believe it.

This TSB will be brought to their attention when I bring the car in.

Thanks

Old 10-28-2021, 11:54 AM

Well, I went to the dealer yesterday to "start" the process of the oil consumption issue..pay for an oil change, they check the dipstick, you return 1000 miles later, check the dipstick ...etc.

Called Mazda Corporate this AM , explained my problem and the above TSB, the customer care rep put me on hold to look up the TSB, he read it and said that this oil change I have coming up should be free and any make up oil should also be free until Mazda comes up with a solution. He also told me that I should notify the dealer about this TSB as it is less than a month old.

Rep was a good guy

I notified the dealer and after I read the service writer the TSB, too lazy to look it up I guess, he says,, well your check engine light didnt come on and he would have the tech look it up when I come in.

So this is where I stand.....update next week.

Thanks for all the help and m5xguy for posting the TSB.

Quick Reply: Cx 5 oil consumption