Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Default CX-5 Manual Transmission

Greetings,
My wife will be buying a new CUV in the next few days. She has driven a CX-5 with the 2.0 and automatic transmission but will only buy a manual transmission car. Can anyone provide their opinion on the manual? How it handles, shifting, power, gas mileage, etc? My wife is not interested in any of the tech options that are only available with the upper-end models. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Mazda put a lot of effort into refining the 6MT in the CX-5 and everyone who chooses it seems to like it just fine. However that group of owners is pre-disposed to like manual transmissions because...that's what they prefer! A manual tranny CX-5 has all of the attributes of a manual tranny "anything". It gives you more direct control over the powertrain, which is a good thing. It has no effect on handling and she's not going to gain much in terms of power or gas mileage (the autobox is that good!). It also severely limits your choice of body color and it's not going to be an easy sell when it comes time to purchase a new car. I've been driving for 50 years and this is my second automatic. I never even considered a 6MT CX-5 in spite of the fact that the other car in my garage is a 6MT 2006 Miata!

Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM

The manual does give a little boost in MPG as the manual version is the one with the 35mph highway and also offers the opportunity to pulse and glide for even higher mpg (city or highway).

We've had one since last April and have been completely happy with it. We do wish there were some other paint options and wish it had the 40/20/40 flat folding rear seats but if budget is part of your decision, then paying at least a couple thousand less for the lightest, fastest, and best mpg version isn't bad.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Buger
The manual does give a little boost in MPG as the manual version is the one with the 35mph highway and also offers the opportunity to pulse and glide for even higher mpg (city or highway).

We've had one since last April and have been completely happy with it. We do wish there were some other paint options and wish it had the 40/20/40 flat folding rear seats but if budget is part of your decision, then paying at least a couple thousand less for the lightest, fastest, and best mpg version isn't bad.
Fastest? MT only comes w/2.0 ltr in 2014. Hardly the fastest combo!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. We purchased one last weekend and so far my wife loves it. Luckily she is happy with the body and interior color. Price wasn't an issue, just a happy coincidence she prefers the transmission that is cheaper. I do agree some of the options available to the upper trim packages (like the back seats lowering when folded to create a truly flat cargo area, and some nav/entertainment options) would be nice, but that's a minor gripe. Mileage so far is 32-33 avg (combined driving) and the CX-5 handled well in a downpour with 3 inches of standing water. The manual is definitely fun and certainly peppy enough for us despite the 2.0.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Fastest? MT only comes w/2.0 ltr in 2014. Hardly the fastest combo!
Oops, fastest 2.0L that is. That was the only option last year when we bought. It is too bad they aren't offering the 2.5 with manual but perhaps there just isn't the market in the US to make it worthwhile anymore?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Southernyankee
Thanks for the input. We purchased one last weekend and so far my wife loves it. Luckily she is happy with the body and interior color. Price wasn't an issue, just a happy coincidence she prefers the transmission that is cheaper. I do agree some of the options available to the upper trim packages (like the back seats lowering when folded to create a truly flat cargo area, and some nav/entertainment options) would be nice, but that's a minor gripe. Mileage so far is 32-33 avg (combined driving) and the CX-5 handled well in a downpour with 3 inches of standing water. The manual is definitely fun and certainly peppy enough for us despite the 2.0.
Congrats on the new CX-5!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

There is no 2.5 manual in either Australia or New Zealand.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Buger
Oops, fastest 2.0L that is. That was the only option last year when we bought. It is too bad they aren't offering the 2.5 with manual but perhaps there just isn't the market in the US to make it worthwhile anymore?
The only reason Mazda kept the 2.0 ltr/6mt combination in 2014 is so they could continue to make the claim of the highest mileage SUV sold in US (35 mpg hwy). There really is no market for manual trans crossovers in this country.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 AM

I love my M/T CX-5. Great mileage, and the best part, nobody in my family can borrow it. Not a one can drive a manual transmission!
As far as resale value, I tend to keep my cars for a long time, so reselling it not an issue.

Quick Reply: CX-5 Manual Transmission