Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Daylight Running Lights ?

  #1  
Old 03-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Fareham, Hampshire
Posts: 5
Exclamation CX-5 Daylight Running Lights ?

I'm in my first week of Mazda CX-5 ownership (Sportnav Plus). So far very pleased with my purchase. Changed from a small Volvo and the quality of the CX-5 seems just as good as the Volvo, in fact the interior is a much nicer place to be ! One thing that is an enigma to me is the operating conditions of the Daylight Running Lights (I searched the forum under the topic but got no results, hence my making comment here). Having got the CX-5 home and parked on my drive, I wondered what the DRLs looked like, so got out and looked ..... nothing ! Looked in the handbook and found no clues. Occasionally, when out driving and pulling up behind other cars, I could see reflections in their bodywork of my lights, but couldn't ever see them when parked. Even tried parking my car on the drive with the wheels chocked, handbrake off, engine running ....... nothing. Has the car got a fault I wondered ? Decided to ask the dealership and was told that the DRLs only come on when the car is travelling at 6mph +. What in the name of the gods is the logic behind that !? Is this method of operation something that meets legislation in a country other than the UK, and Mazda have just replicated it for UK cars (to make life easier for themselves by minimising the number of different specs. of cars), or is it just someone's idea of a joke !? I'll be interested to hear comment (on the subject, not my inane question).
 
  #2  
Old 03-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Madeira, Ohio
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by Lordhenry View Post
I'm in my first week of Mazda CX-5 ownership (Sportnav Plus). So far very pleased with my purchase. Changed from a small Volvo and the quality of the CX-5 seems just as good as the Volvo, in fact the interior is a much nicer place to be ! One thing that is an enigma to me is the operating conditions of the Daylight Running Lights (I searched the forum under the topic but got no results, hence my making comment here). Having got the CX-5 home and parked on my drive, I wondered what the DRLs looked like, so got out and looked ..... nothing ! Looked in the handbook and found no clues. Occasionally, when out driving and pulling up behind other cars, I could see reflections in their bodywork of my lights, but couldn't ever see them when parked. Even tried parking my car on the drive with the wheels chocked, handbrake off, engine running ....... nothing. Has the car got a fault I wondered ? Decided to ask the dealership and was told that the DRLs only come on when the car is travelling at 6mph +. What in the name of the gods is the logic behind that !? Is this method of operation something that meets legislation in a country other than the UK, and Mazda have just replicated it for UK cars (to make life easier for themselves by minimising the number of different specs. of cars), or is it just someone's idea of a joke !? I'll be interested to hear comment (on the subject, not my inane question).
Have someone else sit in the driver's seat with the transmission in gear, parking brake off, and then take a look.

 
  #3  
Old 03-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Western Penn.
Posts: 7
Default

It's an oddity all it's own. My 2017 does the same thing. I guess it comes in handy so as not to distract other drivers in parking lots or on the roadside. I noticed it the first time while in a drive-thru lane at a take-out food place. Slip the tranny into park and off they go, put it back in drive to pull forward and the lights come back on.
 
  #4  
Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Fareham, Hampshire
Posts: 5
Red face

Originally Posted by schmieg View Post
Have someone else sit in the driver's seat with the transmission in gear, parking brake off, and then take a look.
Thank you for the suggestion Schmeig. Did the experiment but no lights came in to view. The wife suggested she stand in front of the car whilst I accelerated up to 6mph + and she would watch for the drl s coming on. I must admit there was a grain of an idea sprang to mind when she suggested this (but I didn't go with it as I didn't want to damage my new motor !!!).
 
  #5  
Old 03-27-2019, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Madeira, Ohio
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by 2Late45 View Post
It's an oddity all it's own. My 2017 does the same thing. I guess it comes in handy so as not to distract other drivers in parking lots or on the roadside. I noticed it the first time while in a drive-thru lane at a take-out food place. Slip the tranny into park and off they go, put it back in drive to pull forward and the lights come back on.
My Grand Cherokee also does this. As soon as the vehicle goes into Park, the DRL's go off.
 
  #6  
Old 03-30-2019, 07:18 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA
Posts: 60
Default

Much easier to check if you pull up to a storefront which has glass windows low enough you can see the car reflection. DRLs only come on when you shift into Drive. If you pull into a parking stall with the DRLs on, they go out as soon as you put the transmission in Park.

My 2015 and 2017 CX-5 both behaved like this.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rtc513
Mazda CX-5
5
10-28-2018 08:08 PM
bangorbay
Mazda CX-5
3
12-02-2012 05:12 AM
jrross
Mazda Tribute
10
06-01-2007 07:19 PM
jacobske
Mazda CX-7
1
04-10-2007 07:41 PM
Etubirt
Mazda Tribute
1
04-13-2006 08:15 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CX-5 Daylight Running Lights ?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.