Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Cargo Mat: WeatherTech versus Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 01:56 PM
Default CX-5 Cargo Mat: WeatherTech versus Mazda

I bought my 2021 CX-5 in March. In April I purchased the WeatherTech cargo mat. After five months use, I decided I was not happy with this product. I keep a small canvas tool bag with a grippy rubberized bottom (weighs about 15 pounds) in my cargo area. The WeatherTech mat is very slick on the bottom. Just about every time I opened the hatch the WeatherTech mat was sticking up 1-2 inches above the car trim at the rear. The grippy tool bag caused the mat to slide all the time. I tried velcro several times in different locations; it did not help. I corresponded with WeatherTech about not being happy, and they were generous enough to give me a refund. I then purchased the Mazda OEM rubber cargo mat. It is much heavier rubber material than the WeatherTech mat. The entire bottom is covered by tiny pointy fingers, so it will not be sliding anywhere. A possible additional bonus is that the two tie-downs are already cut out on the Mazda mat. The outer lip on the WeatherTech mat is much higher than the Mazda mat, but the 5/8" lip on the Mazda mat should be able to contain a big still of anything. My recommendation is buy the Mazda mat.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:54 PM

Agreed. I bought my Mazda OEM rubber mats right away when we got our CX-5. I also got the OEM cargo cover, highly recommend that cover as well. You can find all OEM parts for a reasonable price on Amazon.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:42 PM

Ditto, on the factory Mazda "rubber" cargo mat. Stays in place well. Holds a heavier tool box/bag in place. Can't say whether it'll hold a big spill of stuff, though my guess is with all the forces of driving around it's likely to spill over the edges. Still a great value.

Purchased a pre-owned 2016 CX-5 GT earlier in the year, and right away purchased the factory Mazda cargo mat and cargo space cover. Good products.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:43 PM

While I like the Mazda cargo mat, I don't love the floor mats for two reasons. 1)they don't have a lip (so a lot of carpet is left unprotected) and 2) the center hump in the back seats has no protection. I have my Mazda all weather mats (I kept the cargo mat) for sale and bought Odero all weather mats to replace them in my '21.