Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 auto trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by schinia
i replace my brake fluid every 30K. the cost to replace a brake system today is $6K. my dealer does it even though it doesn't recommend it that early. only cost $100.
The cost of the system has nothing to do with why you change the fluid. You could change your engine oil every 1000 miles if you wanted to... (I mean how much is a new motor, right?)

Change the fluid based on the need to do so. If it is still within its operating specs there is no need to change it.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:43 PM

whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:21 AM

There is no such thing as “lifetime” fluids in any car no matter what the manufacture says.

When I worked in a BMW dealer we saw new cars. Usually leased. If you want to follow the manufacture service intervals on a leased vehicle it will cost you literally nothing more than you paid for the purchase or lease since maintenance is included. After two or 3 years you trade in your car and start anew. The dealer’s happy to make another sale/lease and the manufacture is happier still. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. For them but not for you if you want to keep your car.

I’ve pulled valve bodies out of late model Bimmers at 120k that we’re FILTHY! Lifetime fluids, riiiiight. The pans were filled with shiny metal particles and grey matter from the clutches. The valve body pistons completely stuck in their scored bores. No, lifetime fluids are a farce perpetrated by manufactures to fool you into thinking their cars are low or no maintenance.

I do an auto trans service on my cars no later than 60k. Often times sooner if I’m fooling around with upgrades, shift kits and what have you.

If you’re keeping your car you should too. Peace.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Lifetime fluids do exist, when the transmission starts to fail that's the lifetime of the transmission ( over & done with ). Either replace the trans or the whole car.

No manufacture will state in years what a lifetime is for a car. They aren't built to last.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Lifetime fluids do exist, *when the transmission starts to fail that's the lifetime of the transmission ( over & done with ). Either replace the trans or the whole car.

No manufacture will state in years what a lifetime is for a car. They aren't built to last.
*hahaha! I liked that response! That is pretty funny!

I was always under the opinion observing a couple legal battles and the judgement of the court that "Lifetime" with respect to the vehicle from the manufactures is the end of the last warranty period. As an example emission system and parts. 7 years 100k miles, Drivetrain 5 years 50k miles?
So I would guess when all the warranties have expire that's the LIFETIME? lol