Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 auto trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 05:25 PM
Default CX-5 auto trans fluid change

How often do you change the auto trans fluid, and what kind do you recommend?
My 2017 CX-5 owner's manual does not list a change interval for the auto trans fluid. It does specify intervals and fluids for the differentials and the transfer case.

I'm not a fan of "lifetime" fluids.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:05 PM

Mazda Original Oil ATF-FZ
A service advisor at the dealership told me "Lifetime" but 100,000mi is what they recommend when I had mine changed at 35.000mi. (Florida heat is hard on automatic transmissions).
He reminded me that I have a lifetime dealership drivetrain warranty and not to worry about it but I had it done anyway.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:46 AM

Good advise and I will be doing the same. I would rather spend a few dollars to prevent big bucks later.

Happy Holiday,
Jim

Old 12-25-2019, 12:54 PM

My fixit guy (Cappello's in Ossining, NY) insisted that he change all fluids at 100,000

He's kept the car in tip top shape at minimum dollars for years so I trust this advice

the only thing he can't prevent is people texting and rear ending me ( 3 times in the past 4 years, last one was the worst, almost totaled that car)

Old 12-26-2019, 05:21 AM

Damn 3 accidents that sucks. Let's hope and wish that you have a safe 2020.

We now live in South East Florida and it is by far the worst drivers I have ever seen. I might look into buying a TANK .

Happy New Year and be safe.

Jim

Old 12-27-2019, 01:36 AM

Not a fan of "lifetime" fluids either. Drained and filled the rear differential oil in my last vehicle (because it's so easy to access) at 35,000 miles and it was filthy. Also later replaced the brake fluid and power steering fluid, and the transfer case and front differential. Nice thing with EPS is it's one less fluid to change, and the EPS is one of the strengths of this car. Replacing the factory fills is good long term maintenance.

Last edited by Chocolate; 12-27-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Not a fan of "lifetime" fluids either. Drained and filled the rear differential oil in my last vehicle (because it's so easy to access) at 35,000 miles and it was filthy. Also later replaced the brake fluid and power steering fluid, and the transfer case and front differential. Nice thing with EPS is it's one less fluid to change, and the EPS is one of the strengths of this car. Replacing the factory fills is good long term maintenance.
Brake fluid should be replaced every two years max. It's hydroscopic and does absorb moisture even in that closed system (gets in through caliper movement). I'm still trying to figure out how to replace the electrons in the EPS system however...😁

Old 12-27-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 3carmonte
Brake fluid should be replaced every two years max. It's hydroscopic and does absorb moisture even in that closed system (gets in through caliper movement). I'm still trying to figure out how to replace the electrons in the EPS system however...😁
I used to think this was the case, but they have test strips to check the fluid and I have had shops tell me there was no need to change it when I specifically came in for a fluid change on my '11 Tacoma. They checked it and said I was good to go. Now has 90k miles and is on the original fluid. Just had the original ATM fluid changed today.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:29 AM

i don't know why they keep putting directionals in cars, because nobody uses them anymore ! live in N Myrtle beach,SC

Old 12-29-2019, 10:33 AM

i replace my brake fluid every 30K. the cost to replace a brake system today is $6K. my dealer does it even though it doesn't recommend it that early. only cost $100.

Quick Reply: CX-5 auto trans fluid change