Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 '17 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
I believe the '17 windscreen is a new design (thicker glass).
That would be nice to be sure of. Do you have a reference for where you learned that?

Old 09-15-2017, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by nightbird7
That would be nice to be sure of. Do you have a reference for where you learned that?
Sorry, can't recall.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:49 PM

I thought I read that the glass was thicker (or at least different from previous models) due to all the work they did to reduce cabin noise.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:13 PM

I hope you're right, Jennifer Lynn. I've replaced windshields on 2 other cars in recent years and really don't want such an unnecessary expense and hassle.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:18 PM

I hope you're right, Jennifer Lynn. I've replaced windshields on 2 other cars in recent years and really don't want such an unnecessary expense and hassle.
I feel that! Ive had similar issues. I often wonder what I do to attract rocks? Fingers crossed for this car! I have the GT and I believe there's some wiper heater feature in my window. I can't even imagine cost there.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn
I feel that! Ive had similar issues. I often wonder what I do to attract rocks? Fingers crossed for this car! I have the GT and I believe there's some wiper heater feature in my window. I can't even imagine cost there.
You're referring to the windshield wiper deicer feature that's part of the premium package. That would be a heated wiper blade; has nothing to do with the glass.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:28 PM

The little ones can bounce a long way! I try to stay way back and in another lane if I see rocks on or coming from a vehicle ahead, but they seem to come from cars even farther ahead. If you get a small nick, you can put nail polish on it right away to keep it from spreading, or so I've read. I wanted the heated wipers but they don't come on the Touring CX-5. I think the heater is in the wipers though, not the window - hopefully the window just uses the defrost. At least I did get the heated front seats with mine - it's just turning cold here in WA so haven't used those yet.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
You're referring to the windshield wiper deicer feature that's part of the premium package. That would be a heated wiper blade; has nothing to do with the glass.
Well that's good to know. I thought I read thermal filaments in the glass.. I thought I even saw a photo. I'll have to look it up again.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:23 PM

In my vision plus model of CX-5 2017, there is a heated windshield strip at the lower end where the wipers rest so that turning that on would de-ice the wiper from the windshield, i.e. it would come unstuck during winter. We have folding mirrors too in that model, alon with heated steering and heated front seats.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Here is a video from a Mazda engineer who explains the sound insulation tricks and the thicker wind shield.

https://www.autoblog.com/short-cuts/...b0a33b44ce786/

Quick Reply: CX-5 '17 questions