Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering CX5 to replace Toyota Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 05:43 AM
Default Considering CX5 to replace Toyota Matrix

I am losing my beloved Toyota Matrix and I'm seriously considering the CX-5 as a replacement. I'm wondering how people feel about theirs? I'm particularly interested what appears to be the fold flat seating in the CX-5 (at least those I've seen) and it's ability to carry cargo.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:58 AM

I love my CX-5.
There is no comparison between a CX-5 and a Matrix.
The CX-5 carries more cargo because it's bigger than the Matrix, but the CX-5 is still on the small end of cargo space for SUV's in this size range.
The Mazda CX-30 is the closest in size and price range of the Toyota Matrix but is much more refined inside then the Matrix.

Last edited by Lobstah; 02-21-2023 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:14 AM

I replaced a 2009 Matrix with a 2021 CX-5.

Externally, The CX-5 is considerably bigger - longer, wider and taller. The Matrix slid in and out of my garage without thinking about it. I've got to 'ease in' the CX-5. The doors are bigger and consequently take up more space when open. I had a roof rack on the Matrix that I could easily access from the ground. The CX-5 does not have a rack (so it doesn't matter) but I need a step ladder to wash the roof.

Internally. The CX-5 is close to the Matrix. But there is more plastic molding all over that takes up space. The interior of the Matrix was flat, the CX-5 is more rounded and sculpted. The front seating area is more spacious. The front passenger seat does not fold flat. The rear seating seems more cramped. The rear cargo area seems smaller. The rear seats do fold flat, but there are big plastic moldings on either side of the connecting space so there is not the wide flat shelf like there is in the Matrix. That all said the CX-5 is more comfortable for humans and looks much more refined. I'd consider the Matrix a utility SUV versus the upper-class people mover that is the CX-5.

Final note. The external visibility of the CX-5 sucks. My CX-5 only has a rear facing camera (so I can't comment on the 360° views of the fancier models) - without it I wouldn't be able to 'ease' it into the garage. From the driver's seat I have NO sense as to where any of the 4 corners of the body actually are. (Forget about any thought of actually seeing them.) After 2 years, I'm still learning. The short stubby hood doesn't offer any clues as to the location of the front of the car in term of curbs, parking spots lengths etc. That all said, the CX-5 is a very nice car. Its more comfortable, quieter and classier than the older Matrix. And it's got many more bells, whistles and creature comforts. I don't regret buying it all. It's a completely different car than the Matrix. They are just the same basic shape. Don't worry, you'll like the CX-5. But at times, you will miss the Matrix. Life goes on, just hopefully more comfortably.

Last edited by daven; 02-21-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:27 AM

Thank you very much -- I really appreciate those comparisons. That's extremely helpful.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:32 AM

Removed

Last edited by Callisto; 02-21-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:44 AM

Hey, apologies. Certainly not trying to be sneaky and I'm not selling anything. Just looking to tap the experience of the group as I figure out what to buy.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jgold@desktoppub.com
Hey, apologies. Certainly not trying to be sneaky and I'm not selling anything. Just looking to tap the experience of the group as I figure out what to buy.
I would suggest you contact a Moderator and ask to change your user name. On my forums generally I ask a new member and if no response the account gets deleted.
You would be currently the only member on this forum in the now 10thousand plus to have a .com on the user name.
As you know owning a business I am sure you would not like new members of a forum you may have to use their business .com in their name. Logically people are curious as I was to see who you were!
If it were not a rule and guideline I would use a .com in my user name for my business here. LOL And it more automotive related.
This is not a guideline or rule here but on almost every auto related forum as well hundreds of general info and subject forums worldwide.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:57 PM

I noticed that too. but didn't pay much attention.
It's company in my home state that I am aware of but not that familar with.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I noticed that too. but didn't pay much attention.
It's company in my home state that I am aware of but not that familiar with.
Really? I did look it up to see what it was all about.
Unfortunately on several forum in the last 6 months new members with only intention is to advertise will join forums and hope that their thread will not get seen quick and will fish a few to click on their info.
I get about 1 every other week or so. On my forum my moderators are quick to send my a report so I can either adjust their user name or just remove them from the forum.
It hard enough having to watch for language use, politics and less then family content even with rules and guidelines. LOL
I also am a moderator on a car forum, lol that is difficult in itself because of my posting style. But after 15 years most member are use to me. LOL
I am sure he did it without malice based on his response to me. never the less it p[oints to the statistically when members join most forums less then 5% actually read the acceptance rules and guidelines.
I may be a little more careful because on some forum I skate the edge when talking about my products and try not to mention them by name because of the forums rules.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:22 PM

I was President of a motorcycle club for years and we created our own website which also had a forum, and we got all kinds of "visitors".
From legit companies that wanted to advertise to a troll called "girdleman" who I though was actually rather funny.
But some "bikers" don't see the humor in anything that questions their perceived "manhood".

Quick Reply: Considering CX5 to replace Toyota Matrix