Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2022 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I hope mine gets up to 27 over time. So far it hovers at just under 22.
My biggest concern not to get the turbo is the lower mpg. So I will hold on for a while it seems.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:46 AM

It appears that there are a few that need to learn to drive Turbocharged equipped engine...

Old 02-02-2022, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
It appears that there are a few that need to learn to drive Turbocharged equipped engine...
Ouch, I am on my 4th one (not Mazda, VW though) and I am learning something new every day

Old 02-02-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by M4C3
Ouch, I am on my 4th one (not Mazda, VW though) and I am learning something new every day
A OBDII monitor and a boost gauge can really help improve your overall driving experience and help you learn to drive to improve the MPG on any Turbocharged or Supercharged engine. Also, a better instant MPG then MAZDA scaled version like most all vehicles have. It's not really accurate to what the engine is doing only rounded for viewer understanding so to say. LOL

Old 02-02-2022, 05:57 PM

So you sold the turbo one and bought the non-turbo?
That's right, I swapped a brand new turbo, (four weeks old), for a new non turbo and am quite happy I did.
Around the 8.5 - 9.2 lts around Town and last trip towing the van I got around 10.5 and as for power, the conservative way I drive means no difference in perceived performance.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:04 PM

This is a forum for help, not criticism feller! I drove triple road trains in some of the toughest roads in the Australian outback using 600hp turbo CAT motors and for fun I used to drive both speedway and tarmac race cars so you see, some people do know about driving turbo vehicles and are just trying to help the poster in the real world.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by harryu06
This is a forum for help, not criticism feller! I drove triple road trains in some of the toughest roads in the Australian outback using 600hp turbo CAT motors and for fun I used to drive both speedway and tarmac race cars so you see, some people do know about driving turbo vehicles and are just trying to help the poster in the real world.
Harry harry harry I posted an emo con that was in just poking fun at and not criticizing anyone. But as they say if the hat fit wear it. In other words, if you felt it was directed at you..... I wonder why? LOL ,

I don't criticize people per say at least not deliberately. I respond for the better part to properly inform members and when possible empirical or at least fact-based information and usually most always based on real world experience. If the truth hurts, you personally well sorry dude!
I will keep however your post to use on many other forums because it was very entertaining to say the least. I do want to ask how come you can round up a engine power to exactly 600.... LOL ??????
In over 250 or more personally conducted DYNO test on almost as many platforms I have never had an engine produce a rounded figure. LOL
BTW you said nothing that helps anyone, you do realize that except get pissed about my responses?? LOL

But I can tell ya some of my engines are*"mean as" dude!!!
For other members that is an Australian slang for *"KOOL"!

And as long as the pandora box is open I offer and sell Turbocharger BWD for many platforms as well a complete Performance EFI/ECU Calibration on a couple of platforms. I have a few customers in Australia that use my performance camshafts and other performance parts. And RACE professionally and do very well LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 02-02-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by harryu06
That's right, I swapped a brand new turbo, (four weeks old), for a new non turbo and am quite happy I did.
Around the 8.5 - 9.2 lts around Town and last trip towing the van I got around 10.5 and as for power, the conservative way I drive means no difference in perceived performance.
Good call. I totally understand that, everybody has different circumstances and preferences. I also like my non-turbo CX-5

Old 02-02-2022, 08:32 PM

A OBDII monitor and a boost gauge can really help improve your overall driving experience and help you learn to drive to improve the MPG on any Turbocharged or Supercharged engine. Also, a better instant MPG then MAZDA scaled version like most all vehicles have. It's not really accurate to what the engine is doing only rounded for viewer understanding so to say. LOL
Thanks for the feedback. I will stay with my non-turbo CX-5 for quite a while. It has adequate power and great MPG for a non-turbo 2.5 liter compact SUV. My other car is a 1.8 liter turbo VW MK7 Golf. Also great car with great MPG and fun to drive. Never thought of installing extra monitors and gauges for the VW but might consider it.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will stay with my non-turbo CX-5 for quite a while. It has adequate power and great MPG for a non-turbo 2.5 liter compact SUV. My other car is a 1.8 liter turbo VW MK7 Golf. Also great car with great MPG and fun to drive. Never thought of installing extra monitors and gauges for the VW but might consider it.
You have 2 great reliable vehicles. Your MAZDA 2.5 has good power to weight ration and really the TURBO is IMHO overstated.

Look into an ultragauge. Cheap and very good for monitoring the OBDII. Look at my MAZDA thread and also go to their website and their product forum. You are likely to see a few of my custom installations of that gauge.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center (ultra-gauge.com)
Custom Mounting (ultra-gauge.com)
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Quick Reply: Considering a 2022 Turbo