Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Considering a 2022 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 08:30 AM
Default Considering a 2022 Turbo

I currently own a 2019 CX 5 Grand Touring. I am considering trading it in for a 2022 Turbo Signature.
To those of you who currently own a turbo CX 5, would appreciate your thoughts on performance, gas mileage, and if there is an acceleration delay when you first depress the accelerator.
Thanks!

Old 01-29-2022, 10:04 AM

To common misconception having to do with ECU controlled engine with Turbochargers or superchargers from vehicle manufactures. Turbo "lag" is almost nonexistent with most all gasoline production vehicles in almost 2plus decades.

If you don't drive throttling up into boost all the time your MPG should be the same or close to a none Turbocharged engine.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:45 PM

I too had a '19 GT and now have a '21 GTR with the 2.5T engine. I highly recommend it performance wise, but you will take a hit on the MPG front. We are about 4-5 MPG less with the turbo and than the NA 2.5 was and we do not drive aggressively.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:57 PM

I have a '21 GTR and the MPG in town runs in the lows 20s. I haven't noticed any lag on acceleration, but I don't normally mat the throttle either.
Where I found the real difference is the Turbo model seemed quieter in normal driving and was far more responsive in most driving situations. Overall and much nicer car as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:18 PM

Note: Both engines Turbocharged and none Turbo break in is about 28-35,000 miles. So, comparing results must be from those that have at least reach the break in period of the engines.
And also, as my first post the engine none boosted should be at or very close to the same MPG. between the engines This can be easily verified by use of a OBDII monitor. And it is it practical applied physics.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:57 AM

I have a 2021 Signature with the turbo. I don't notice any turbo lag. After 8,100 miles my average fuel economy is 27 mpg. I live in a rural area and don't spend much time at traffic lights. I also don't have any oil consumption issues, which has been a topic for discussion on another thread. The decision is yours, but I really appreciate the extra power compared to my 2016 CX5. The mileage hit has been minimal for me.
Oh hell, go for it!

Old 01-30-2022, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chris!
I have a 2021 Signature with the turbo. I don't notice any turbo lag. After 8,100 miles my average fuel economy is 27 mpg. I live in a rural area and don't spend much time at traffic lights. I also don't have any oil consumption issues, which has been a topic for discussion on another thread. The decision is yours, but I really appreciate the extra power compared to my 2016 CX5. The mileage hit has been minimal for me.
Oh hell, go for it!
In all honesty had a Turbo Model Mazda 3 coupe been available I would have "Oh hell, go for it!" myself. But it was not. However, my reason is much different than most for wanting one. Mainly the baseline parts of a Factory Turbocharged engine are there. I don't buy into the hype that many manufacture give for the Turbocharged models over NA. I know better. But if one is prone to more spirted driving habits or increasing the load while driving then the "torque" not HP is nice with a Turbocharged engine (or supercharged). Unfortunately, once you start playing the "boost" game you will need to have a more concerned effort to follow with general maintenance schedule as well preventive maintenance on Turbocharged engines. And we all need to remember it is still a DI engine and Turbocharged engines don't like increased compression due to carbon formation.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris!
Oh hell, go for it!
I hope mine gets up to 27 over time. So far it hovers at just under 22.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Majt8155
I currently own a 2019 CX 5 Grand Touring. I am considering trading it in for a 2022 Turbo Signature.
To those of you who currently own a turbo CX 5, would appreciate your thoughts on performance, gas mileage, and if there is an acceleration delay when you first depress the accelerator.
Thanks!
Had a 2021 CX5 with the 2.5 turbo and found it quite responsive on the go pedal and pretty quick off the mark too. Only problem I had was fuel economy. I tow a small caravan from time to time and 14 - 16lt per 100km, (Australian measures) was pretty tough to take seeing I drove it like my age......pretty grandpa like!! Even around town 10-11lts was the best I could get. I quit it and got the plain old 2.5 non turbo. Sure, a tad slower but on fuel, I'm miles ahead.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by harryu06
Had a 2021 CX5 with the 2.5 turbo and found it quite responsive on the go pedal and pretty quick off the mark too. Only problem I had was fuel economy. I tow a small caravan from time to time and 14 - 16lt per 100km, (Australian measures) was pretty tough to take seeing I drove it like my age......pretty grandpa like!! Even around town 10-11lts was the best I could get. I quit it and got the plain old 2.5 non turbo. Sure, a tad slower but on fuel, I'm miles ahead.
So you sold the turbo one and bought the non-turbo?

Quick Reply: Considering a 2022 Turbo