Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chipping Paint.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by pcumby
What is this Zurich Paint Shield and can I get it done now that I have had a Xpel paint protection on the front?
Don't know if they apply it afterwards, you might want to check https://www.zurichshield.com/

Old 08-27-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
It really is funny how some on these forums feel the need to feel superior and put other posters down if they don't agree with what they say. People are posting their direct experience (me included) with various makes of cars. If its a fact we pick up more chips on the CX-5 than our previous rides this is not somehow "incorrect" or "inaccurate". It is a data point which we ourselves observed. I don't need to have footnotes and other websites or scientific studies to back my opinion up. It is what it is, experience I have had with my Mazda over the past 14 mths and 12k miles. If I happen to have a 2006 BMW with 20k miles and it has less chips than my 2019 Mazda with 12k miles, I would say the paint is more durable. If someone doesn't agree with thisassessment, no problem, just move on. No need to berate the person for having an opinion or tell them they don't know what they are talking about.
Some reviewers put Mazda up there right behind Honda and Toyota. Some guy out in California had a 6 sedan that lasted 600,000 miles before the junk yard got it.
I had a GMC Terrain that I put 76,000 miles on in 9 years with no chips in the front. Some rust on passenger door as my rust proofing is failing.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Some reviewers put Mazda up there right behind Honda and Toyota. Some guy out in California had a 6 sedan that lasted 600,000 miles before the junk yard got it.
I had a GMC Terrain that I put 76,000 miles on in 9 years with no chips in the front. Some rust on passenger door as my rust proofing is failing.
And I don't disagree on overall quality. I think Mazda is excellent. Paint quality, on the other hand, is an area needing work. I would not take Mazda off my list because of paint issues, but it would be nice if the paint quality was taken up a notch since they are presenting themselves as a premium car maker.

Last edited by chickdr19; 08-28-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by pcumby
What is this Zurich Paint Shield and can I get it done now that I have had a Xpel paint protection on the front?
In reading from the link provided, it seems like a sealant (similar to a ceramic coating). From their warranty claim page it says "Name:  blue_bullet5.gif
Views: 6517
Size:  64 Bytes Paint - In general, your paint is warranted against fading, oxidation, and loss of gloss.", but it doesn't mention chips so I don't expect it would help much. Xpel is the best solution and you already have it.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:25 PM
ob1

Paint article that may be of interest. https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...ing/paintwork/

Old 08-28-2020, 03:30 PM

I test drove three 2019 CX-5s before making my purchase, all at or below 15k miles: one Signature in Soul Red, one GT Reserve in Jet Black, and one GT Reserve in Snowflake White. Of the three, the black one had the most miles and the red one had the most paint chips. It had chips on the hood mostly, but even had a couple on the edge of the tailgate. The black one (a dealership loaner) had the roughest paint scratch-wise, but the number of rock chips was negligible. The white one, which we ended up purchasing, has the best paint (at ~3000 miles) but also hides chips much better as the contrast between paint and primer isn't so noticeable.

I will admit that I look at this stuff much closer than the average owner. If I were to ask my wife which of the three cars we drove had the best or worst paint, she would definitely pick the black one because of some damage at the top of one of the rear doors. So, the fact that "some don't have this issue" is subjective. Despite Callisto's views on modern paint quality, I think modern car paint is sprayed much thinner than vehicles in the past, and this is especially prevalent on candy or metallic paints. One the clear coat is breached, the likelihood of chipping all the way down to primer seems much higher than on thicker paints.

Again, anecdotally, my 2006 Honda CR-V with over 216k miles, which we rarely washed and never protected in any way, looked near new when we sold it a couple of weeks ago (other than all the dings from goddamn acorns). Chips, where present, were few and generally due to events that were memorable (like a large stone pinging off the hood at highway speed).

But what do we know?

Last edited by grim_reaper; 08-31-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:37 PM

And I don't disagree on overall quality. I think Mazda is excellent. Paint quality, on the other hand, is an area needing work. I would not take Mazda off my list because of paint issues, but it would be nice if the paint quality was taken up a notch since they are presenting themselves as a premium car maker.
And as it is, the problem with paint seems to vary a great deal depending on color.
The complaints I've heard or read about seem to be that gorgeous red, white, and a couple of others.
Time will tell. I would think that Mazda, aware of the issue would take quick steps to address the
issue. Slightly thicker paint, a second coat of clear, etc..
Guess we'll see.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:31 AM

To answer the OP's question. I have a '19 Machine Gray CX5 and it has several small chips on the hood at 12k miles and 13 mths of driving. The black '16 RDX I had before it was also bad about chips. I had a clear bra put on the Acura within a month of purchase, but it wasn't soon enough as I had picked up a large chip in the center of the hood within a few hundred miles. In my opinion, my German cars (Porsche and current BMW) have had much better (ie more durable) paints. Of course I would expect a higher end car to have better paint. I have read Infiniti uses a "self healing paint", but I don't understand how it works. My current car is leased so it isn't a big deal to me, but if I purchase my next CX-5 it will have a full hood / front bumper clear bra put on the day I buy it.
I agree. However, we have had Honda Accord's (3) and I can say the paint on all of our Accords held up well. This is the first time I have had a car that chipped sooo easily. However yesterday I had the hood clear bra extend all the way to the top of the hood.. Now I hope that does the trick.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:10 AM

It really is funny how some on these forums feel the need to feel superior and put other posters down if they don't agree with what they say. People are posting their direct experience (me included) with various makes of cars. If its a fact we pick up more chips on the CX-5 than our previous rides this is not somehow "incorrect" or "inaccurate". It is a data point which we ourselves observed. I don't need to have footnotes and other websites or scientific studies to back my opinion up. It is what it is, experience I have had with my Mazda over the past 14 mths and 12k miles. If I happen to have a 2006 BMW with 20k miles and it has less chips than my 2019 Mazda with 12k miles, I would say the paint is more durable. If someone doesn't agree with thisassessment, no problem, just move on. No need to berate the person for having an opinion or tell them they don't know what they are talking about.
Some times the best evidence for a problem is right near your own door step. My personal experience seems to very close to matching your, but also from my own experience this isn't a Mazda exclusive issue as my buddy has a 2013 Rav4 and I can tell you his car is terrible for chips. He now as 200 000 kms on his car and the car is mechanically perfect. However his car which has a lot of 3m protectant on it is covered in chips that are now rusting. If he sold his car with good paint he could get between $10000 to $14000, however with the car looking like it does I suspect he could only get about $6000.

I don't understand why a manufacture don't put top paint on a car considering when people see them in the real world it is a tell tale sign of how well a car holds up over time

Old 08-30-2020, 10:20 AM

To answer the OP's question. I have a '19 Machine Gray CX5 and it has several small chips on the hood at 12k miles and 13 mths of driving. The black '16 RDX I had before it was also bad about chips. I had a clear bra put on the Acura within a month of purchase, but it wasn't soon enough as I had picked up a large chip in the center of the hood within a few hundred miles. In my opinion, my German cars (Porsche and current BMW) have had much better (ie more durable) paints. Of course I would expect a higher end car to have better paint. I have read Infiniti uses a "self healing paint", but I don't understand how it works. My current car is leased so it isn't a big deal to me, but if I purchase my next CX-5 it will have a full hood / front bumper clear bra put on the day I buy it.
Just extended my clear hood protectant to the top of my hood. Hope that works

Quick Reply: Chipping Paint.