Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chipping Paint.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:21 PM
Default Chipping Paint.

I have a 2019 signature CX 5. I love everything about this car except the paint. Now I hear so many website and forum talking about the Soul Red Chrystal paint and how bad it is for paint chipping. However, I do not have the Soul Red Chrystal paint. I have the Jet Black Mica. This paint looks amazing on the show room floor however, with only 6000 km's I do not believe I should have 5 chips on the hood so far. I run the same route as I did with my 2011 Honda Accord which I put 210 000 km on it and I just counted have 11 chips. Also I have xpel car protection film half way up the hood of my Mazda, also on the mirrors, roof and bumper. My accord has nothing. This to me is very unacceptable. Yes this car is great, but it is bitter sweet because of the paint issues. Now I am force to extend the XPEL all the way up the hood and include more of the fenders. After putting $1100 into my car to protect the paint I feel it is totally unacceptable that I have to add another $500 to cover the entire front of the car right to the doors.

My question is besides the Soul Red Chrystal does anyone have problems with any other colour on their CX 5?

Old 08-24-2020, 07:54 PM

I have a year old Black 3019 Mazda3 and have no issues with the paint. (15,000 miles of bad road driving). My last Mazda was a 2015 dark blue. The only issues I had after 100,000 miles were the result of impacts, one chip from a huge rock, and scratches from family members driving into things.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I have a year old Black 3019 Mazda3 and have no issues with the paint. (15,000 miles of bad road driving). My last Mazda was a 2015 dark blue. The only issues I had after 100,000 miles were the result of impacts, one chip from a huge rock, and scratches from family members driving into things.
I guess I'm the only one

Old 08-25-2020, 09:15 PM

I think with the paint it is indeed a hit or miss issue. If you search the forum here there is one thread where many customers complain about the soul red paint.

In our case, we have the soul red as well on our 2018 CX-5 but when we purchased the car, it had the Zurich Paint Shield applied by the dealer. I think the price was $200 and I initially had thrown on it since it was an extra item that I had not agreed with but at that point I was too tired to bargain about it and let it go. Turns out that the shield indeed makes a difference since after more than 2.5 years, I have no chip issues at all. So you might want to look at something like that.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
I think with the paint it is indeed a hit or miss issue. If you search the forum here there is one thread where many customers complain about the soul red paint.

In our case, we have the soul red as well on our 2018 CX-5 but when we purchased the car, it had the Zurich Paint Shield applied by the dealer. I think the price was $200 and I initially had thrown on it since it was an extra item that I had not agreed with but at that point I was too tired to bargain about it and let it go. Turns out that the shield indeed makes a difference since after more than 2.5 years, I have no chip issues at all. So you might want to look at something like that.
What is this Zurich Paint Shield and can I get it done now that I have had a Xpel paint protection on the front?

Old 08-26-2020, 09:53 AM

>>>>>

Last edited by Callisto; 08-31-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:10 PM

I have the CX5 hood protector on my 2014 GT.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:15 PM

>>>>>

Last edited by Callisto; 08-31-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:32 PM
Default Chipped paint

Perhaps it's the TYPE of paint used these days.
The Pontiac Grand Prix, sixth generation, 1997-2003
the SE version, had a low slopping hood also metallic
paint and clear coat. No real problem with chipped paint.
Neighbor has one and good paint on hood. I haven't used
a magnifying glass on however.

My 2¢

Old 08-26-2020, 03:53 PM

To answer the OP's question. I have a '19 Machine Gray CX5 and it has several small chips on the hood at 12k miles and 13 mths of driving. The black '16 RDX I had before it was also bad about chips. I had a clear bra put on the Acura within a month of purchase, but it wasn't soon enough as I had picked up a large chip in the center of the hood within a few hundred miles. In my opinion, my German cars (Porsche and current BMW) have had much better (ie more durable) paints. Of course I would expect a higher end car to have better paint. I have read Infiniti uses a "self healing paint", but I don't understand how it works. My current car is leased so it isn't a big deal to me, but if I purchase my next CX-5 it will have a full hood / front bumper clear bra put on the day I buy it.

Quick Reply: Chipping Paint.