Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I buy SIM card for navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 04:25 PM
Default Can I buy SIM card for navigation?

I have a 2020 CX-5. It did not come with navigation but I understand a can upgrade by purchasing SIM card for it. I see different choices for purchasing the cards, with prices from $68 to several hundreds. I would be grateful if someone who has done this successfully can help me figure out what to buy from whom. Thank you for any insights.

Old 12-25-2021, 12:30 PM
BWJ

Just keep in mind, that you are violating the warranty provisions on the car by using unauthorized software, and may lose your factory warranty.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by BWJ
Just keep in mind, that you are violating the warranty provisions on the car by using unauthorized software, and may lose your factory warranty.
Huh? Unauthorized software? You are just adding an SD card which will have a Mazda logo and part number just as it would have as if purchased through the dealer. It doesn't do anything to your car. There shouldn't be any issue whatsoever with the warranty.

OP, if you search, you will find many folks (myself included) who purchased Nav SD cards via EBay or Amazon for well under 100 bucks. No need to buy at the dealer. Mine works flawlessly and updates just as the factory one I had in my '19 did. Here is a place you can get a card for a reasonable price: https://maznavstore.com/

Last edited by chickdr19; 12-26-2021 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:56 AM
BWJ

Fine enough, I just state what happens to the warranty in the EU, the same goes with tweeked software for HMI, see statement in the user manual of the car.
You can of course do exactly what you want

Last edited by BWJ; 12-26-2021 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by BWJ
This is of course BS. There's no way that Mazda is going to void your warranty because of an unauthorized Nav card! No way.

And here's why.
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

I suppose that theoretically Mazda could void the warranty on your infotainment system, IF they could prove that the unauthorized card damaged the system. That's not going to happen, and it most certainly is not going to void the warranty on the rest of the car.

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 12-26-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
This is of course BS. There's no way that Mazda is going to void your warranty because of an unauthorized Nav card! No way.

And here's why.
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

I suppose that theoretically Mazda could void the warranty on your infotainment system, IF they could prove that the unauthorized card damaged the system. That's not going to happen, and it most certainly is not going to void the warranty on the rest of the car.
Conrad, you are quite correct for the US. However, BWJ is in Europe and Magnuson Moss doesn't apply there.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Conrad, you are quite correct for the US. However, BWJ is in Europe and Magnuson Moss doesn't apply there.
Well, the OP IS in the US and he's the one asking the question...

Old 12-27-2021, 09:08 AM

Do any of the CX-5 trim levels come standard with the navigation card, or is the card always an optional additional purchase?

Old 12-28-2021, 07:03 PM

For '21 only the Signature has it. On my '19 GT it was standard. Really stupid cost cutting measure IMHO. How much does this really save Mazda at this point in the cars run to take out a card which can be purchased for 50 bucks online?

Old 12-28-2021, 11:32 PM

Just purchased a nav card off Amazon last week and arrived today for my new 2021 GT. Worked immediately after inserting the sd card. Haven't had a chance to drive around but so far so good.

Quick Reply: Can I buy SIM card for navigation?