Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BSM Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Default BSM Malfunction

what would happen is I would turn on the my car (2013 CX-5 Touring) and then the BSM Off light on the dash would either come on or blink on and off without me pressing the button to turn the feature off and the feature would not work. The first time it lasted a day and a half which happened maybe a month or so ago. Then recently when I went to leave for work in the morning it came on again but then was off again when I left 8hrs later.

so last saturday (June 6) I took my car in for an oil change and to have the problem checked. They ran computer codes and found it saying there was something wrong and said to dig further it would cost $240 which would go towards the repair. I ended up having to leave it for them to complete the diagnostic.

So now to this past monday they got back to me and what they found was corrosion along the main wireing harness connector which is causing communication loss with the left rear BSM module.

Now what they wanted to do which they said was the cheaper option is replace the connector and wires since that more then likely is what causing the problem which would cost me around $760 labor included and the $240 taken off from the diagnostic, if that doesnt work which they said it may or may not fix the problem they want to replace the Module.

Now I had them call and talk to extended warranty and said they would cover the cost of the module if it needed to be changed (module being $625) I'd just have to pay the deductible which for me is $100 but they would have to do the wiring thing first which they would not cover.

Now the extended warranty that I have is totalcare via Easycare which is supposed to cover everything from my understanding

so thats the situation, has anyone ever heard of this popping up before? They even said this is something they haven't seen before.

I guess my main concern is if it is fixed would this be something that would happen again, since I don't want to keep throwing money at the problem.

Last edited by That3DGuy; 06-15-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 PM

So much for non-OEM extended warranties!

Old 06-19-2015, 12:44 PM

Ugh, that sucks. Why would the extended warranty NOT cover the replacement of the wiring? Since that could very well be the only problem, I'd think they'd jump at that instead of waiting for a potentially costlier fix?

I'd push on the warranty guys, that sounds bogus...either that or i'd drop that "extended warranty" completely. Oh, and I haven't seen this anywhere, and hope it doesn't happen to mine.

Good luck with the fix.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 PM

I agree! I think before I take it back to get it fixed I'm going to call and talk to the extended warranty people myself because that does sound weird to me. Especially since my coverage is supposed to cover everything from what I understand.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 AM

I was wondering if it is a corrosion problem. Warranty is longer for that.
Don