Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:55 AM

I ensured that there was no green or amber light on the start button. So the car should definitely be off. I also ensured that all doors were closed securely.

I took it into the dealer yesterday and they didn't notice a power draw. I also bought a portable jump starter just in case. We'll see if she starts today.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:00 AM

And thanks ExecFem. The dealer asked me to take it in tomorrow morning so they can do a more detailed investigation. I'll take them your post as well.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I'll bet grim reaper says "then the ecu isn't in shutdown mode, it's still active, hence the power draw".
Bingo. Its 100% true. If you do a current draw test it will prove me right.

Not only is leaving your car unlocked bad for the battery it may also void your insurance, as you have a responsibility to maintain the security of your car at all times.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 AM

An unlocked door bad for the battery? This is unheard of and cannot be true.

Why lock my door if it's in a secured garage? That makes no sense. The car is with the dealer. We'll see what they find. It started again today with no problems (door was unlocked as it always has been when inside the garage).

Old 12-22-2014, 02:27 PM

It turns out that my battery had a bad cell. They are replacing the battery and performing more tests.

I also heard from a co-worker that if you leave things charging overnight (e.g., gps, cigarette lighters), that could cause the problem. I had left my phone charger plugged in the vehicle though nothing was being charged. It's possible that was the issue but I removed everything when I took it to the dealer. In my case, I had a bad battery but in the other cases, it could be devices left charging overnight. It seems that the onboard computer *could* also enter an on and off cycle overnight (which draws extra current).

Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

I am a Factory Trained Mazda Master Technician. I'm only on this forum to share my knowledge and help fellow Mazda owners. Leaving your vehicle unlock will accelerate current draw. If you don't believe me then test your car yourself. I'm telling you the truth.

Also, if the ignition is fully turned off, the AUX sockets are also turned off.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I am a Factory Trained Mazda Master Technician. I'm only on this forum to share my knowledge and help fellow Mazda owners. Leaving your vehicle unlock will accelerate current draw. If you don't believe me then test your car yourself. I'm telling you the truth.

Also, if the ignition is fully turned off, the AUX sockets are also turned off.
Interesting comment about the locked doors. I'm not doubting your word here, but what is it tied into that draws current when not locked?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I am a Factory Trained Mazda Master Technician.
Just the guy I am looking for. I understand that the dealers have procedures to follow when a car is stored on the back lot. Question. When we are going to store our CX-5 for a while (Example, in a airport parking lot for two weeks in winter) what should we do? Is there a fuse we should pull? Something else?

Thanks

Frank

Old 01-02-2015, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

In the engine bay fuse-box,remove the "Room" Fuse & both "Audio" Fuses.

These fuses are removed from the vehicle when they leave the factory & we only fit them during the Pre-delivery inspection.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM

Thanks That is what I needed. Pull F43, F44, and F55. It looks like the key (The real key) and locks still have power so I can lock and unlock it. They appear to get there power from the RBCM

Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died