Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Bike racks and trailer hitches

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 03:07 PM
Default Bike racks and trailer hitches

I went out a bought a bicycle last week for the first time in 30 years. I'm already thinking ahead to a rack for it to put on the back of the CX5.

Looks like most of them attach to a trailer hitch. I haven't got one of those on the new 2021 Grand Touring.

I see the U-Haul place down the road from me sells a hitch kit for about $150 and they'll do the install for another $45 plus the cost of a few ancillary parts. Any other recommendations on where to get a hitch? Or where to look for a bike rack?

Old 06-12-2021, 04:24 PM

I got a Draw-Tite Class III (76138) hitch off Amazon. The install was around 45min and quite easy. It has a 2" square receiver. Looks good and is quite functional. Perfect for carrying bikes.

I plan on getting a Thule hitch mounted bike rack (Thule T2 Pro XTR 2 - 2"), but I haven't bought it yet. Just waiting for some good sales.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:28 PM

Nice! I'm not sure I'm up to installing one on my own. I don't want to mess anything up. I reckon I can find someone to do it for me though.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:36 PM

I installed, by myself, so its not very hard. I purchased the Curt 12170, 1 1/4 hitch from Amazon. I also purchased the Euro style draw bars. I went with the Curt as it mounts to the side of the "frame" that insures there is clerence for the muffler and hangers. I had read about, but haven't seen the ones that mount under the frame. I read that they can cause an issue with the hangers. If you are wanting someone to install... ask around and check RV dealers too

Good Luck

Old 06-13-2021, 08:01 AM

Check out this place, it's where I got my hitch and a lot of folks here has as well.

etrailer.com

2021 Mazda CX-5 Vehicle Accessories | etrailer.com

Old 06-13-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Check out this place, it's where I got my hitch and a lot of folks here has as well.

etrailer.com

2021 Mazda CX-5 Vehicle Accessories | etrailer.com
Yeah I am seeing a lot from them when I search trailer hitches!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:52 AM

I just got a 2021 CX-5 and ordered the etrailer.com hitch. Had a local shop put it on for 1 hour labor charge.

If you have a Grand Touring model (I don't) there's piece on the underside of the bumper that has to be removed.

I got this two-bike rack from amazon:
Amazon Amazon

As well as this hitch tightener:
Amazon Amazon

Just drove one bike 700 miles no issues.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:03 AM

I called up a shop here in town that deals with snow plows and hitches and toppers for pickup trucks. They ordered up and installed one of these and didn't charge a whole lot.

https://www.draw-tite.com/Product/36...-trailer-hitch

I found a hitch made by Saris that fits my big heavy bike pretty good. Had a problem getting it on so I brought it back over to the shop. The guy ran a file through the hitch to make sure there were no burrs in there. Then he stuck another rack in and it worked fine, so he got out the biggest file I've ever seen and started working off some of the powder coat from the rack where it slides in. I kind of cringed when I saw him doing that. Now it slides right in and out though so I'm happy.

Interestingly though when I got over there to have them look at it, the guy said he burned himself on the hitch. I know it's close to the exhaust but that seems odd. Maybe he touched the exhaust lol

Old 06-21-2021, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by peety52
I installed, by myself, so its not very hard. I purchased the Curt 12170, 1 1/4 hitch from Amazon. I also purchased the Euro style draw bars. I went with the Curt as it mounts to the side of the "frame" that insures there is clerence for the muffler and hangers. I had read about, but haven't seen the ones that mount under the frame. I read that they can cause an issue with the hangers. If you are wanting someone to install... ask around and check RV dealers too

Good Luck
They do cause issues with the hangers. I had to purchase longer exhaust hangers so that the exhaust wouldn't "bump" on the hitch. It did the trick.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by johnnytucats
I just got a 2021 CX-5 and ordered the etrailer.com hitch. Had a local shop put it on for 1 hour labor charge.

If you have a Grand Touring model (I don't) there's piece on the underside of the bumper that has to be removed.
Does anyone know what piece under the bumper of the GT has to be removed? I’m having a hitch installed on Friday and would like to know.

Quick Reply: Bike racks and trailer hitches