Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-hold every time I start

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 05:17 PM
Default Auto-hold every time I start

Hey all, new owner here. Got my 2019 GT last week. I am wondering if there's a way to set brake auto-hold to always be on. It seems to default to off every trip.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Hey all, new owner here. Got my 2019 GT last week. I am wondering if there's a way to set brake auto-hold to always be on. It seems to default to off every trip.
The electric parking brake (EPP) feature doesn't look like it gets to be controlled, other than via the manual button on the console for the setting of the brake and release of the brake.

Have a 2016.5 GT, and it operates like that. When turning the car on, the EPP defaults to off. I can set it to on, if wanting to power off and leave the car; then set it off, when turning the car on and releasing the brake.

If I'm understanding what you're wanting, I also would prefer the EPP to be activated automatically upon shutting off the car. But then, you put the shifter into "Park" anyway, so ...

Doesn't look like the 2019 has a control of the defaults for EPP setting, aside from the manual button on the console. The Owner's Manual for the 2019 GT has a "parking brake" chapter, pp 4-94 to 4-99, and in it there is discussion of the use of the electric parking brake, and discussion on the manual set/release button on the console to control it. But nothing's described in there about defaults, nor in the section on "personalization settings," pp 9-12 to 9-18.

Makes sense, though, that they'd default to the EPP = Off. Driving with the thing on is bad news. Better to force the drive to deliberately set it, if desired.

https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/how-...=2019&mc=19CX5

Old 09-17-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
The electric parking brake (EPP) feature doesn't look like it gets to be controlled, other than via the manual button on the console for the setting of the brake and release of the brake.

Have a 2016.5 GT, and it operates like that. When turning the car on, the EPP defaults to off. I can set it to on, if wanting to power off and leave the car; then set it off, when turning the car on and releasing the brake.

If I'm understanding what you're wanting, I also would prefer the EPP to be activated automatically upon shutting off the car. But then, you put the shifter into "Park" anyway, so ...
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm asking about brake auto-hold, whereby the car stays stopped when you come to a stop, not he emergency parking brake that is actuated by the little lever-button. My car has the auto-hold feature and it is a simple button press to enable it. My wife's Explorer retains the settings after shutting off the vehicle and I'm trying to see if it's possible in this car. I didn't see anything in the vehicle menus.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:50 PM

I have never seen an option to have it stay on and am fairly confident it is not an option.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by jmartin
I have never seen an option to have it stay on and am fairly confident it is not an option.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:34 PM

Yes I've seen a plugin OBD module at China Taobao that does exactly what the OP wants but unfortunately is not possible to search Taobao anymore and I don't have a saved link.
The only thing I found web searching is this video:

Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mazdaon
Yes I've seen a plugin OBD module at China Taobao that does exactly what the OP wants but unfortunately is not possible to search Taobao anymore and I don't have a saved link.
The only thing I found web searching is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuR_3Lmu5IM
Interesting! I am not so worried about this feature that I would add an OBD-II module just to get it. Some car makers have OBD interfaces that allow tweaking of settings like this via laptop/phone. Leaving hardware plugged in is just a bit further than I'm willing to go. Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-18-2021, 07:51 AM

There's an automatic Hill Hold feature. At least my 2016.5 has this.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:41 AM

That is what he is talking about. He wants to be able to have it default to on so he doesn't have to press the button every time he starts the car. Not sure why you can't, but I don't think it's possible either.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
That is what he is talking about. He wants to be able to have it default to on so he doesn't have to press the button every time he starts the car. Not sure why you can't, but I don't think it's possible either.
There's no activation button for this feature in my car, it's on all the time. My 2016 MX-5 also has this.

Quick Reply: Auto-hold every time I start