Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy 245/50/19" tires for their CX 5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 PM
Default Anyone buy 245/50/19" tires for their CX 5?

By 2022 at the latest I'll need new tires for my USA CX 5 GT Reserve 2.1 L. turbo. As a "boy racer" I want better handling and don't mind a small loss in mileage so I'm getting 245/50/19 to replace the OEM 225/55/19 tires. BTW, the diameter is almost exactly the same as the OEM tires and will not mess with the odometer/speedometer readings.

Anyone here tried this size?

Eric B.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:58 AM

I would suggest getting a better brand of tire (maybe the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV?) rather than going up in width. Increased size doesn't necessary = better handling. Make sure the wheels can handle wider rubber if you go that route. Wider tires look strange if the wheels are too narrow and the sidewalls bulge as a result.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:56 PM

chickdr19,
The stock MAZDA 19" wheels are, according to both Tire Rack and Discount Tire, perfectly adequate for the 245 width and as I stated the radius/circumference is nearly identical to the OEM 225/55/19 tires.

Yes, some tires are a bit better handling than other brands of the same size but going from 225 mm. to 245 mm. tread width regardless of brand, will definitely help handling. Please take a look at the "upscale" sport SUVs like Porsche, Mercedes and BMW. They ALL have wider tires All Season than more modest brands of SUVs and for good reason, the wider tires improve handling.
And I am aware of handling recommendations from the above dealers. Both Yokohama and Michelin premium level all season tires have good handling characteristics.

If I wanted the ultimate in handing I would go with a "performance" tire that has very little in the way of tread pattern so it puts more "rubber on the road". But I want all season performance so I will get an All Season tire tread.

Eric B.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Litehiker
chickdr19,
The stock MAZDA 19" wheels are, according to both Tire Rack and Discount Tire, perfectly adequate for the 245 width and as I stated the radius/circumference is nearly identical to the OEM 225/55/19 tires.

Yes, some tires are a bit better handling than other brands of the same size but going from 225 mm. to 245 mm. tread width regardless of brand, will definitely help handling. Please take a look at the "upscale" sport SUVs like Porsche, Mercedes and BMW. They ALL have wider tires All Season than more modest brands of SUVs and for good reason, the wider tires improve handling.
And I am aware of handling recommendations from the above dealers. Both Yokohama and Michelin premium level all season tires have good handling characteristics.

If I wanted the ultimate in handing I would go with a "performance" tire that has very little in the way of tread pattern so it puts more "rubber on the road". But I want all season performance so I will get an All Season tire tread.

Eric B.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. There have been many tests over the years showing dramatic differences in handling between tire brands alone. Just going up in width won't automatically give improved handling if the tire isn't great to begin with. This is why I recommended the Michelin Pilot tire. This is going to be a high performance tire that will be usable for everyday conditions. I would expect markedly improved handling over the stock units which don't get much love on the forum. .

Old 07-11-2020, 07:17 PM

The reviews or responses on forums from mostly DIY members regarding the Mazda choice in a OEM tires are more "follow" what other say then reality. As for which tire are best and what size is best this goes without saying that it all depends on the suspension, the brakes and the *drivers ability to know how to drive the vehicle . The *last part requires some form of training like a performance driving school or the natural ability to drive fast on any tire gained by lots of track experience. In the end most people select tires by what other say rather then actually trying them out. Or for the few that get to try out a tire they seldom get to really give the tire a fair work out.So it goes back to opinion of what other think tends to lead someone in choosing a tire.

BIGer is not always better and most of the time the vehicle will actually feel better but when it counts the tire performs poorly when pushed.

The recommendation from professional sources i.e. Tire Rack are gathered first from the tire manufacture recommendation for use on wheel sizes how the tire was designed then what the wheel manufacture specify for their tire sizes range which most wheel were designed to "best" on a small tire size chart. Going off the charts and recommendation unless you are a professional racer or chassis builder are only asking for issues that "will" happen during the life of the tire! f

Last edited by Callisto; 07-11-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:32 PM

True, I've seen some ridiculous tires on vehicles the made them actually handle worse.

1. I'll stick with the modest width upgrade of 245/50/19 that is recommended. NOTHING LARGER IS RECOMMENDED and I won't go any larger.
2. I have autocrossed for many years so I know how to handle a car and the difference between oversteer and understeer and what causes each one.
3. From tire size upgrades on previous vehicles I have owned snd autocrossed I know they perform better "when pushed" than the OEM "fuel saving" widths.

Of course one must look at all the ratings moulded on the sidewall of the tire and understand them to know which tire to buy. EX. Here in Las Vegas I need a tire with a good heat rating. (For Callisto's benefit: Today it is 114 F. and when driving at 70 MPH on that hot road surface - often up to 130 F.! - one needs a tire with a highest heat rating.)

Eric B.

Last edited by Litehiker; 07-12-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:33 AM

Not sure what you living in Las Vegas has to do with choosing a tire. Can't say as it was on any of the tire manufacturing sales seminars I attended from tire & wheel manufactures. ..
I also worked in Las Vegas a couple of times years ago would not recommend tires based on ambient temperature.
For an auto-X driver the many threads you post on have me wondering....... as few things.... like *your weird thoughts of how things happen and work in the known universe will all live in and share?
*I am sure knowing you we will all be reading a snapping possibly whitey response....

Last edited by Callisto; 07-12-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: placed two missing words in a sentance
Old 07-12-2020, 01:18 PM

Oh my Callisto!

Old 07-12-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Litehiker
Oh my Callisto!
hahahaha! Ya!
I think you IMHO spend to much time on the internet looking for information instead of talking to professionals at shops and the manufactures they represent as authorized dealers to sell selling their products to gather really good solid information?
I will say I do whole heatedly get a kick of reading your responses on different threads. Always puts a smile on my face.