Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinion on new 2.5 L motors..??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Default Any opinion on new 2.5 L motors..??

Now that you can find both 2.0L and 2.5L motors on the CX-5 inventory of the dealers, which one you pick and why..??
Any feedback on the performance and fuel consumption of the 2.5's..??...positive or otherwise..??...

Just curious..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 PM

The +29 horsepower 2.5L has been reported by major car magazines as a nice improvement in driving experience and about 1 second improvement in 0-60 mph time has been estimated.

EPA mpg for the 2014 is down 1mpg city, 1mpg highway, 2mpg combined.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

While in the subject of increasing Power, is there a Performance "CHIP" for the CX-5 to increase the power..?? I have heard about them but not sure the story on them... Can anyone chine in the Subject..??

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by Alvandd; 02-11-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Banned

A lot of these people advertising them is SPAM. When someone says you'll see a gain of 60 HP is LYING. That number appears on every car listed and is false. Think about it, your vehicle has 150 HP and they are promising a gain of 60 HP? Is a turbo charger included?
The reality is most chips are "piggy back" units that trick the computer and are wired in line with the MAF.
If you can actually find a good one you will get maybe 5% increase and you will have to use premium fuel. Hypertech is a good example of this, as this unit plugs in to the computer port and reprograms the computer, then you remove it. It may be too early for anything available on the CX-5.
Proceed with caution.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Thumbs up

Your opinion on the subject of them, so called performance chips is what was my gut feelings.... Un-noticeable at best and harmful to sensitive on board computers at worst !

P.S... What's MAF..??

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alvandd
P.S... What's MAF..??
Told ya I was gone all day!
MAF = M*** Air Flow Sensor which is a sensor with 4 wires that is located between the air box (where your air filter is located in) and the throttle body. Normally it is closer to the air box.
It is plugged in electrically to a piece that is screwed on to the intake tube.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 02-12-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alvandd
Now that you can find both 2.0L and 2.5L motors on the CX-5 inventory of the dealers, which one you pick and why..??
Any feedback on the performance and fuel consumption of the 2.5's..??...positive or otherwise..??...

Just curious..
I drove the 2.0 twice and found it underpowered. It wanted to shift down too much on small hills etc. for my taste. When the 2.5 came out I bought one last week. I love it. Noticeable power difference and torque which both kick in at lower RPM now too. It drives smoothly from a power delivery standpoint and has good get up and go. It's now more powerful than the CR-V and the new RAV4 on paper and having driven those too, the CX-5 was the clear winner on "felt" power too. For me, it was well worth the money. I also drive a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 with 175hp and the CX-5 feels quicker.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Thanks for you input.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

When my Mazda3 was new, and I was still young with it, I ordered a so-called Performance chip for it. 'Know what I got for my money? A 0.25 resister to put in-line with the MAF sensor.
Of course they were only suggesting a 10-15% increase in power. What it actually does is enrich the air/fuel mixture. Mazda's run rich enough as it is, and adding that thing would only serve to wash down cylinder walls (of oil) more quickly and completely.

Needless to say, I laughed at myself for being so stupid and never installed the thing. I should mount it just to remind myself not to be that gullable ever again.

As for the 2.5L, Winding Road reports MPG down 1 mpg on the highway for the 2WD models (same as it was before in city driving,) and -1+1 (city/hwy) on the AWD models.
All-in-all, they like and recommend the engine in that vehicle, stating, "It's the engine they should have put in it in the first place!"

Here's the artcle: http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...ource=email-71

Last edited by virgin1; 02-13-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Any opinion on new 2.5 L motors..??