Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Android Auto question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Default Android Auto question

Hi all, I have recently purchased a CX-5 2018 and wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with installing android auto on their "infotainment"system? I really don't know whats involved in how to get this installed, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Old 09-26-2019, 03:53 PM

It is a fairly involved process, including hardware upgrades. The dealers can do the installation and I recall it costing $400.00US or so.

Call a dealership and ask. I believe that some models in some countries are eligible for a free upgrade. It is worth asking.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:48 PM

Thankyou for the heads up.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
It is a fairly involved process, including hardware upgrades. The dealers can do the installation and I recall it costing $400.00US or so.

Call a dealership and ask. I believe that some models in some countries are eligible for a free upgrade. It is worth asking.
FWIW, it is pretty labor intensive with disassembling the dash. I got a bit scared that things might go wrong when they put it back together and also found the $400 price tag too much. I also read in another thread that it might mess up with the internal navigation system. Hence, I took a pass on the upgrade.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

If anything goes wrong with reassembly, the dealership will rectify it.

Also the system is an approved Mazda accessory, which has gone thru rigorous testing by Mazda before its approved for installation, once again Mazda warrants the parts & labour.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Default Android auto

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
FWIW, it is pretty labor intensive with disassembling the dash. I got a bit scared that things might go wrong when they put it back together and also found the $400 price tag too much. I also read in another thread that it might mess up with the internal navigation system. Hence, I took a pass on the upgrade.
I had it installed in my CX-5 about 8 months ago and have been extremely happy with it being Mazda navigation seems to store just fine but I prefer to use Waze whenever possible. I do see where Android auto just had an update to allow Wireless use does anyone know if that works for the Android auto installed by Mazda?

Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 AM

The Android Auto wireless feature only works with an Android auto wireless headset. There a just a couple of aftermarket units currently available. No OEM units are wireless capable right now.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If anything goes wrong with reassembly, the dealership will rectify it.

Also the system is an approved Mazda accessory, which has gone thru rigorous testing by Mazda before its approved for installation, once again Mazda warrants the parts & labour.
I spoke to my Mazda dealer about this. They charge $200 for the part and $200 for installation. I mentioned Amazon sells this Mazda part for $159. They told me that if the part is purchased anywhere but from the dealer, there will be no warranty on their installation.