Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Aftermarket Android Head Unit Upgrade for 2016 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Oh ya, I think I did see that serial connection page, but at that point I wasn't comfortable taking my dash apart or trying to hack it like that. Now I know the dash is pretty easy to open up to get to the head unit, but the serial connection procedure is a little over my head as well. So was the whole unbricking thing though and I managed to figure that out. I've always been good with computers and I am a professional mechanical/manufacturing engineer, I am not however a computer programmer. I'm sure I could probably do it if I spent enough time studying it first. I suppose I'll have to research the benefits of the newer firmware (built-in Android Auto) and decide if it's worth it to upgrade and try to hack it. I do really like the AIO tweeks, I don't see why some of the options aren't already available in the normal software, especially the ability to change the color scheme. I don't understand why they would choose red. It's much more distracting IMO and seeing as how nothing else in the car is red it seems like an arbitrary choice and SO simple of a thing to allow a user to control. Another annoying thing is the ordering of the audio inputs. Why is Bluetooth audio so far down the list? AIO lets me move it to the top where it belongs.... My wife's car lets her change the order of inputs as well as customize all sorts of other things. Can't really customize anything with the stock MZD system.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:44 AM

When upgrading to a new Android car stereo, usually the original features of your original radio would be lost although some claims will retain the features. But don't worry, you will still use basically almost anything from the new android unit. Last time I upgraded my car stereo to an XTRONS ICE/HU/PST90M6M for my Mazda 6 and it works perfectly. What surprises me is that the amplifier still works after upgrading to XTRONS head unit.